Johannes Schmoelling - Early Beginnings

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

tdream4ever wrote:
24db wrote:
tdream4ever wrote: Hello Timer,

What is JS Webshop and where can I find it-website? I tried to google it and got nothing. Thanks.
http://www.johannesschmoelling.de/
I knew that Andy :oops: :oops: :arrow: Just seeing if anybody is paying attention out there. Thanks for covering my back mate. :oops: :oops: :oops:
lol....er ;) anyway...you'll really like the disc, it's highly recommended
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

24db wrote:
tdream4ever wrote:
I knew that Andy :oops: :oops: :arrow: Just seeing if anybody is paying attention out there. Thanks for covering my back mate. :oops: :oops: :oops:
lol....er ;) anyway...you'll really like the disc, it's highly recommended
Just checked out JS webshop. 30 euros with shipping. Just found it over at Vic's site for $25US. Will wait till Vic gets back from Ricochet Gathering and pick it up. Thanks again to all for the recommendation.
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
24db

Post by 24db »

Np, dreadful cover though...Johannes needs a proper artist to do his covers...IMHO obviously

now playing CD one :)
24db

Post by 24db »

OT...I'd also recommend Instant City (from my blog):

1. Passing By-Opens with soft melancholic string pads and Johannes' emotional grand-piano plus an oboe like synth melody. Approx 3 minutes in a sequencer rhythm starts, with DX style spiked accents and some high notes from the piano, after a while a glassy synth lead is added. Drums punch in and a few chord stabs break the rhythm for a few bars, but the sequencer section soon returns to close. A good track, with a real feeling of passively watching landscapes from a moving vehicle... gets a 7/10

2. Giants out of the Fog-Starts with an echoing bass guitar note, over a panned synth modulation trill. A soft sequencer then takes over, whilst eerie phased chords and effects are added. Kettle drums punch and the whole piece is taken into a Vangelis like section complete with a few analog chords stabs and a fairly strong melody. Over long perhaps, but getting better 8/10

3. Instant city-Sub par Dream Mixes 1 stuff, sorry Johannes but this track is dreadful, I feel bad, but... 4/10

4. Contemplative Clouds-Nice and laid back, even with the DX piano and slight new-agey feel, 6/10

5. Joyful Solitude-Much better, great use of a repeated soft MiniMoog lead over a descending note backing, half way through the track changes direction and we get what sounds like Kyoto meets Serge Blenner with some classy piano over the top. Shouldn't work, should be cheesey as hell, but it's wonderful... 9/10

6. Rikscha Square-Ugh...I keep thinking Ceefax soundtrack meets keyboard demo tune, not my taste 6/10

7. Viktoriapark-Nice DX sounds with strange gasping vocal samples and drum hits intro, hints at Wuivend Riet throughout as the track develops with all sorts tricks, guitar samples, sinuous lead and chugging rhythm (and it's quite short). 9/10

8. A Long time ago-Hmmm a further nod to Wuivend Riet (A ghostly intro, complete with some subtle piano gives way to a bass pizzicato string section, with a falling string chord sequence. A strident rhythm takes hold and then Johannes lets rip with mucho-Moog soloing).The ghostly section returns to close 8/10

9. Big Cityscapes-Starts with a panned bass sequence and ethereal pads, with a echoing electric piano counterpoint, chords are added as the track changes key. The pace is kept up as drums are added and a trumpet like synth takes over the melody for a few bars, before falling away leaving a new airy sequence, only for the old theme to return. Nice simple melody. Nothing special, but nice nevertheless 7/10

10. It's your Birthday-Interesting stuff with a Joe Zawinul like melody (It reminded me a bit of Zawinul's I'll never forget you) over a lounge backing (can't say I like the repeated piano and synth melody though). 7/10

11. The Time Seller-Great track, the opening sounds reminded me a bit of the Keep soundtrack. I also liked the soft chord sequence, over this Johannes adds some fine Minimoog soloing (look out for his trade mark key changes and descending bass note motifs). The track develops with odd percussion, grand piano, and analog modulated synth chords...Johannes saves the day. 9/10
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

24db wrote:OT...I'd also recommend Instant City (from my blog):

1. Passing By-Opens with soft melancholic string pads and Johannes' emotional grand-piano plus an oboe like synth melody. Approx 3 minutes in a sequencer rhythm starts, with DX style spiked accents and some high notes from the piano, after a while a glassy synth lead is added. Drums punch in and a few chord stabs break the rhythm for a few bars, but the sequencer section soon returns to close. A good track, with a real feeling of passively watching landscapes from a moving vehicle... gets a 7/10

2. Giants out of the Fog-Starts with an echoing bass guitar note, over a panned synth modulation trill. A soft sequencer then takes over, whilst eerie phased chords and effects are added. Kettle drums punch and the whole piece is taken into a Vangelis like section complete with a few analog chords stabs and a fairly strong melody. Over long perhaps, but getting better 8/10

3. Instant city-Sub par Dream Mixes 1 stuff, sorry Johannes but this track is dreadful, I feel bad, but... 4/10

4. Contemplative Clouds-Nice and laid back, even with the DX piano and slight new-agey feel, 6/10

5. Joyful Solitude-Much better, great use of a repeated soft MiniMoog lead over a descending note backing, half way through the track changes direction and we get what sounds like Kyoto meets Serge Blenner with some classy piano over the top. Shouldn't work, should be cheesey as hell, but it's wonderful... 9/10

6. Rikscha Square-Ugh...I keep thinking Ceefax soundtrack meets keyboard demo tune, not my taste 6/10

7. Viktoriapark-Nice DX sounds with strange gasping vocal samples and drum hits intro, hints at Wuivend Riet throughout as the track develops with all sorts tricks, guitar samples, sinuous lead and chugging rhythm (and it's quite short). 9/10

8. A Long time ago-Hmmm a further nod to Wuivend Riet (A ghostly intro, complete with some subtle piano gives way to a bass pizzicato string section, with a falling string chord sequence. A strident rhythm takes hold and then Johannes lets rip with mucho-Moog soloing).The ghostly section returns to close 8/10

9. Big Cityscapes-Starts with a panned bass sequence and ethereal pads, with a echoing electric piano counterpoint, chords are added as the track changes key. The pace is kept up as drums are added and a trumpet like synth takes over the melody for a few bars, before falling away leaving a new airy sequence, only for the old theme to return. Nice simple melody. Nothing special, but nice nevertheless 7/10

10. It's your Birthday-Interesting stuff with a Joe Zawinul like melody (It reminded me a bit of Zawinul's I'll never forget you) over a lounge backing (can't say I like the repeated piano and synth melody though). 7/10

11. The Time Seller-Great track, the opening sounds reminded me a bit of the Keep soundtrack. I also liked the soft chord sequence, over this Johannes adds some fine Minimoog soloing (look out for his trade mark key changes and descending bass note motifs). The track develops with odd percussion, grand piano, and analog modulated synth chords...Johannes saves the day. 9/10
Your killing me Andy! I will have to wait until after I purchase the RAH tickets before I can even think about JS Instant City and Images. Priority One-RAH tickets!!!!
24db

Post by 24db »

tdream4ever wrote:
Your killing me Andy! I will have to wait until after I purchase the RAH tickets before I can even think about JS Instant City and Images. Priority One-RAH tickets!!!!
Well, when you can get them mate, I think you'll be very impressed. I know several TD fans who have never bothered with Johannes's solo stuff...they don't know what they're missing.

I've just been thinking back (whilst listening to some of his music), jesus can it really be 27 years ago that I saw the young Johannes onstage with TD? Adds even more emotion to the tracks, for me anyway
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

24db wrote:
tdream4ever wrote:
Well, when you can get them mate, I think you'll be very impressed. I know several TD fans who have never bothered with Johannes's solo stuff...they don't know what they're missing.

I've just been thinking back (whilst listening to some of his music), jesus can it really be 27 years ago that I saw the young Johannes onstage with TD? Adds even more emotion to the tracks, for me anyway
I've always been impressed with JS. That time during TD, I really enjoyed the different style of play. I thought I would not like the new sound, but I did. Then after JS parted ways and went solo, I followed JS and bought his first three solos. During that time TD and EM music seemed like it was slowly dissapearing from the record shops and airwaves here in US. So I forgot about JS. I did manage to find some stuff on Paul Haslinger (first couple of CD's until he went more in the direction of soundtrack). Thank god for www.
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

While we are on the subject, has anyone got the Theta release on cd of Zoo Of Tranquility that they are willing to sell? Ill offer a VERY good price for it.... :idea:
timer

Post by timer »

epsilon75 wrote:The 2cd compilation "Images & Memory" comes highly recommended 8) 8) 8)
thanks for the recommendation mate -it's absolutely fabulous :D :D :D
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

timer wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:The 2cd compilation "Images & Memory" comes highly recommended 8) 8) 8)
I honestly thought you had it mate. I am glad you are enjoying it,its a wonderful collection :D :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
timer

Post by timer »

epsilon75 wrote:
timer wrote:
I honestly thought you had it mate. I am glad you are enjoying it,its a wonderful collection :D :wink:
It's certainly got a lot of my favourite's on it :D

Due to having so many CDs around the house (and you know the kind of figure's Im talking :roll: ) I may already have it :oops: :oops:

If I discover it amongst the rest it can go into a future TD charity raffle 8)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

timer wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
timer wrote: thanks for the recommendation mate -it's absolutely fabulous :D :D :D

Due to having so many CDs around the house (and you know the kind of figure's Im talking :roll: ) I may already have it :oops: :oops:

You should get securicor on your door 24/7 with all them CDs :mrgreen: Watch out for them Shepton Highwaymen :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
timer wrote: thanks for the recommendation mate -it's absolutely fabulous :D :D :D

fess up then :)
timer

Post by timer »

24db wrote:
timer wrote:
epsilon75 wrote: I honestly thought you had it mate. I am glad you are enjoying it,its a wonderful collection :D :wink:

To what ? :shock:
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:
24db wrote:
timer wrote: It's certainly got a lot of my favourite's on it :D

To what ? :shock:
CD numbers and alarm codes? ;)