Johannes Schmoelling - Early Beginnings

hansx
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Johannes Schmoelling - Early Beginnings

Post by hansx »

Unless Johannes is quite popular among the TD fans, there isn't much talking about his cd's. I am now playing his last one Early beginnings. And I have to say this is beginning to be the best he made. I like it very much. In much occasions it is indeed back to the past. The same sequences as TD did on a lot of albums. Can not say what is the best track (this is the second time I play it), but that will come later. Any more people who like it?
epsilon75

Re: Johannes Schmoelling - Early Beginnings

Post by epsilon75 »

hansx wrote:Unless Johannes is quite popular among the TD fans, there isn't much talking about his cd's. I am now playing his last one Early beginnings. And I have to say this is beginning to be the best he made. I like it very much. In much occasions it is indeed back to the past. The same sequences as TD did on a lot of albums. Can not say what is the best track (this is the second time I play it), but that will come later. Any more people who like it?
Ive had it for quite a while and like it very much,i will play this again later :idea:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
phaedra1974

Post by phaedra1974 »

I like this album very much. My favourite tracks are "Perpetual motion" and "It better end soon".
timer

Post by timer »

It s a great CD , well played here ! If you have a look through old threads you will see some referencing J S - I feel he is held in high regard amongst the forum users here ! 8)
hansx

Post by hansx »

timer wrote:It s a great CD , well played here ! If you have a look through old threads you will see some referencing J S - I feel he is held in high regard amongst the forum users here ! 8)
yep, I believe he is. Only think that there are so little topics about him. But that we can change. :D
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

hansx wrote:
timer wrote:It s a great CD , well played here ! If you have a look through old threads you will see some referencing J S - I feel he is held in high regard amongst the forum users here ! 8)
yep, I believe he is. Only think that there are so little topics about him. But that we can change. :D
He is also held in high regard by EF himself :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

Early Beginnings by a long mile is my favorite release by ANYONE in 2008 (with AIH being number 2). Adore the simplicity of The Soldier theme.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Yep. I've got a huge amount of respect for Johannes. The guy writes some killer melodies and has a knack for picking out really odd but infectious time signatures. With the possible exception of EF himself I think he has produced the best solo material by any band member since leaving the mighty TD (IMO).

Early Beginnings is great.... but then again so are all his albums.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Great CD that takes a look back. I wonder if theres any more in Johannes vault.
24db

Post by 24db »

probably played it once since I got it, more a historical document than pure music for me
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

24db wrote:probably played it once since I got it, more a historical document than pure music for me

I would agree with that. Its still a decent album but I don`t think its up to the standard of the other ones.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:probably played it once since I got it, more a historical document than pure music for me
I think that's the reason I like it. It's a great insight into JS and TD back in the early 80s plus it contains some real lost classics. But taken in isolation you'd have to say the quality of the recording is fairly poor. If you're not a fan and you don't understand the significance of some of the material then you'd proabably be wondering what all the fuss was about.
Hyperboreauk

Post by Hyperboreauk »

I love it :)
A Hyperborean

Post by A Hyperborean »

Chris Monk wrote:
I think that's the reason I like it. It's a great insight into JS and TD back in the early 80s plus it contains some real lost classics. But taken in isolation you'd have to say the quality of the recording is fairly poor. If you're not a fan and you don't understand the significance of some of the material then you'd proabably be wondering what all the fuss was about.
Absolutely right. Early Beginings is fascinating, but for me Instant City is the album with some excellent new compositions. Johannes Schmoelling's music has a particular ingenuity and quirkiness about it that TD's doesn't have, but there's no point is saying one is better than the other as TD/Edgar and Johannes are pursuing their own musical interests. It would be great to hear what would be produced if the two got together one more time.
Tangerine Dream cleans my brain.
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

Hyperboreauk wrote:I love it :)
Same here :D