'Pinnacles' re-appraisal

whiteeagle
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

'Pinnacles' re-appraisal

Post by whiteeagle »

Recently I found :oops: many albums by Edgar Froese so I stucked to 'Pinnacles'...
I remember last August, walking in Athens center's streets, in a beautiful afternoon and havin' in my mp3 :oops: player that album playing...one of the small pleasures, that make life beautiful....
Well, I think that the music in this LP has a lot of open breathing spaces and it has a calm felling over it, that makes the listener feel good :D - but certainly it's NOT new age. (and I think EF hates this term)
Keep on (Tangerine) Dreaming
epsilon75

Re: 'Pinnacles' re-appraisal

Post by epsilon75 »

whiteeagle wrote:Recently I found :oops: many albums by Edgar Froese so I stucked to 'Pinnacles'...
I remember last August, walking in Athens center's streets, in a beautiful afternoon and havin' in my mp3 :oops: player that album playing...one of the small pleasures, that make life beautiful....
Well, I think that the music in this LP has a lot of open breathing spaces and it has a calm felling over it, that makes the listener feel good :D - but certainly it's NOT new age. (and I think EF hates this term)
It is a wonderful album,of that there is little doubt in my mind 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

I don't know if it's on this forum or the old forum but I had to admit that it had taken me about 20 years to fully appreciate Pinnacles. I gave it a cursory listen when it was first released, didn't like it and then shelved it for the best part of 20 years. Must admit that I felt pretty stupid when I realised how good it actually was. :roll:
Six By Nine

Post by Six By Nine »

Great album!
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

My fave by the prince of EM...the king??? Klaus Schulze of course..
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

sparrow wrote:My fave by the prince of EM...the king??? Klaus Schulze of course..

:D :D

For BM, Pinnacles is a pleasant experience, not Edgar's best by any stretch of thee imagination, of its time and a bit tinny sounding, but still a nice slab of electronica....surprisingly BM hasnt listened to this for a while :oops: :arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
jacob

Post by jacob »

Wonderful album.
Jacob's Tangerine Dream Blog
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/
A Hyperborean

Post by A Hyperborean »

Chris Monk wrote:I don't know if it's on this forum or the old forum but I had to admit that it had taken me about 20 years to fully appreciate Pinnacles. I gave it a cursory listen when it was first released, didn't like it and then shelved it for the best part of 20 years. Must admit that I felt pretty stupid when I realised how good it actually was. :roll:
Pinnacles is one of my favourite EF solos, along with Stunt Man. It is interesting that on the re-recorded release of Pinnacles the second half of the Pinnacles track is missing and Edgar said somewhere that the full 21min version shouldn't have been released. When listening to the full Virgin original, part of the second half of the track actually sounds to me (IMHO) like a prototype version or first attempt at what became Sphinx Lightning, especially around the 15min mark (the sounds used are quite different, but the structure and segments of the second half of the Pinnacles track always feel similar to Sphinx Lightning). Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Regardless of this, the complex sequencing, use of stereo separation, catchy lead synth lines and powerful wide floods of synth textured layers are masterful.
Tangerine Dream cleans my brain.
whiteeagle

Post by whiteeagle »

Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
yes, really you're right, "sphinx lightning" has a lot of similarities with material from the "pinnacles" -I believe that's why both albums were recorded in the same time frame (summer or spring 1983? Andy, were are you to correct me? :) )
You've got to hear the flute lead from "walkabout" and the flute lead from "sphinx lightning" when the track goes calm-they are very similar in mood and notes.
Keep on (Tangerine) Dreaming
A Hyperborean

Pinnacles

Post by A Hyperborean »

whiteeagle wrote:
Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
yes, really you're right, "sphinx lightning" has a lot of similarities with material from the "pinnacles" -I believe that's why both albums were recorded in the same time frame (summer or spring 1983? Andy, were are you to correct me? :) )
You've got to hear the flute lead from "walkabout" and the flute lead from "sphinx lightning" when the track goes calm-they are very similar in mood and notes.
Thanks White Eagle, it's nice to get some agreement! By the way, the track White Eagle is one of my all time favourites. If I've got TD on whilst doing domestic work and White Eagle comes on, it stops me in my tracks, I have to sit down and listen.
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

A Hyperborean wrote:Edgar said somewhere that the full 21min version shouldn't have been released.
So whose fault is that?
timer

Post by timer »

Pinnacles is a high favourite - original version - for me,ever since a good mate bought me the LP many,many years ago.
A Hyperborean

Post by A Hyperborean »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:
A Hyperborean wrote:Edgar said somewhere that the full 21min version shouldn't have been released.
So whose fault is that?
I suppose it could be that Virgin pressurised him into putting a longer version on the album. I suspect he had less control when he wasn't on his own label. Who knows :?: Anyway, even if it was a 'work in progress' I'm glad it was there because it is a fascinating piece of music, and interesting to compare with Sphinx Lightning.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I had my LP copy of the title track on this morning...a sublime mellow but rhythmic peice of music.
Misterdance

Post by Misterdance »

I own it on vinyl. Beyond the storm I own on double cd. Like it very much! It's great.

MD.
:) :!:
Fred-E Skywalker fka Misterdance.

Visit my website: http://www.fredvdwerf.nl