does linda spa play the synth in concert ?

GAZZ
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

does linda spa play the synth in concert ?

Post by GAZZ »

by no means before i start this thread am i slagging off linda spa. she is absolutley fantastic on sax/flute etc and i am quite sure she has had a great deal of input into some of td's work,however i do not feel that she is playing any synth parts when td play live,after watching a few of the recent dvd,s and also being able to play keyboards myself it dosen,t even look like the synth is even switched on and feel that she is just using it to go through the motions in between her fantastic sax/flute playing and keeps her in position on the stage. i hope i am wrong but feel pretty sure that i am right :roll: :roll:
24db

Re: does linda spa play the synth in concert ?

Post by 24db »

GAZZ wrote:by no means before i start this thread am i slagging off linda spa. she is absolutley fantastic on sax/flute etc and i am quite sure she has had a great deal of input into some of td's work,however i do not feel that she is playing any synth parts when td play live,after watching a few of the recent dvd,s and also being able to play keyboards myself it dosen,t even look like the synth is even switched on and feel that she is just using it to go through the motions in between her fantastic sax/flute playing and keeps her in position on the stage. i hope i am wrong but feel pretty sure that i am right :roll: :roll:
The M issue never goes anywhere. IMHO if it's a real problem then people can vote with their wallet
timer

Post by timer »

24db wrote:
GAZZ wrote:by no means before i start this thread am i slagging off linda spa. she is absolutley fantastic on sax/flute etc and i am quite sure she has had a great deal of input into some of td's work,however i do not feel that she is playing any synth parts when td play live,after watching a few of the recent dvd,s and also being able to play keyboards myself it dosen,t even look like the synth is even switched on and feel that she is just using it to go through the motions in between her fantastic sax/flute playing and keeps her in position on the stage. i hope i am wrong but feel pretty sure that i am right :roll: :roll:
The M issue never goes anywhere. IMHO if it's a real problem then people can vote with their wallet
Well said Andy - agree 100%.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

A TD gig would not be the same without Linda, It is fair to say that I find some her sax input annoying but one of the first gigs I went to she and Edgar did a piano solo at the start(what one was this andy?) :D And I have always had a soft spot for her since.

And of course with so many old and ugly men(just kidding guys) its nice to have some grace,beauty and class at TD gigs.

Linda And Iris are important members of TD in my eyes
jacob

Post by jacob »

timer wrote:
24db wrote:
Totally agree. I fully accept the way TD perform on stage... but the dvd's are often mixed differently compared to what we heard at the show, and that's another thing.
However, I do understand why other fans are frustrated.
Jacob's Tangerine Dream Blog
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/
24db

Post by 24db »

jacob wrote:
timer wrote:
24db wrote: The M issue never goes anywhere. IMHO if it's a real problem then people can vote with their wallet
Totally agree. I fully accept the way TD perform on stage... but the dvd's are often mixed differently compared to what we heard at the show, and that's another thing.
However, I do understand why other fans are frustrated.
Totally agree
pb2rdf

Post by pb2rdf »

Is it important to know ?

Peter
A Hyperborean

Post by A Hyperborean »

Linda Spa adds something beautiful with her saxophone and the rest (listen to La Joie on Jeanne D'Arc, it's simply wonderful). If she doesn't always play live keyboards then fair enough, she can't just sit there with her arms folded. All the band members look as though they're not playing live sometimes, but with such complex, multi-layered music, complete note-for-note live playing can't be possible. I forgive them and I think that what we often see is on-stage mixing, sound control and segment activation. I get the impression that Edgar often plays the orchestral, violin-like foundation layers. Who knows? Even if only certain melodic parts are played, then that's enough for me, it's enough to see them present the music to an appreciative audience. There are always performance gems, especially when Edgar gets up with his guitar and hits the sweet spot. His use of the 'Talking Guitar-Synth' effect was astounding when I saw it live in London (at Shepherd's Bush I think) and Hyper Sphinx at the Astoria concert last year was fantastic, I was nearly in tears :cry:
Tangerine Dream cleans my brain.
24db

Post by 24db »

A Hyperborean wrote:Linda Spa adds something beautiful with her saxophone and the rest (listen to La Joie on Jeanne D'Arc, it's simply wonderful). If she doesn't always play live keyboards then fair enough, she can't just sit there with her arms folded. All the band members look as though they're not playing live sometimes, but with such complex, multi-layered music, complete note-for-note live playing can't be possible. I forgive them and I think that what we often see is on-stage mixing, sound control and segment activation. I get the impression that Edgar often plays the orchestral, violin-like foundation layers. Who knows? Even if only certain melodic parts are played, then that's enough for me, it's enough to see them present the music to an appreciative audience. There are always performance gems, especially when Edgar gets up with his guitar and hits the sweet spot. His use of the 'Talking Guitar-Synth' effect was astounding when I saw it live in London (at Shepherd's Bush I think) and Hyper Sphinx at the Astoria concert last year was fantastic, I was nearly in tears :cry:
Nice post. IMHO (at this stage in the development of electronic music) it counts for nothing the percentage of music 'hand-played' if the results don't move or excite you. I've been to 3 gigs this year where 99% of everything was controlled live and they've been some of the dullest gigs I've ever been to, not the fault of the musicians, just that the music didn't make a connection with me. I don't go to gigs to make notes about Moog serial numbers or see if the musican turns a knob up to 11 or not. The 'process' is interesting, but the 'results' matter far more

The thing is, and some fans totally miss the point, is that Edgar and TD have been using high tech stuff for decades and during this every possible thing has gone wrong (Damaged equipment, sequencers out of tune, sounds didn't trigger, power cuts, floods, hanging notes, software crashes and freezes). Can you imagine putting all your faith in it, only for it let you down again and again?. Many of the gigs we think are classics are in fact a record of a gig just saved from disaster. It's my opinion that is why Edgar currently uses technology the way he wants, and therefore the band performs in the same way (he is the boss....please correct me if i've got this wrong). Plenty of people have complained about it in the past, so the only thing you can add is, if it bothers you that much then don't go and see them. Find something that you enjoy better. I totally respect people who do, provided they don't commit themselves to a lifetime of moaning about TD. I sometimes think that people tend to ignore that TD have performed (more of less) in the same way for 20 years, so why wait until now to be annoyed. However I do understand that now we have live DVDs and a few people are (as Jacob points out) frustrated by this.

One of thing about TD is that nobody (and that includes your average fan right up to a self-titled musical experts) knows exactly how TD use technology. Nobody!

As for Linda, she's a talented musician, I've seen some comments about her over the years that have been totally OTT and idiotic, however I've never seen her give a poor performance or play a bum note. If people think she is there as eye candie then I'm affraid it says more about them as people than it does about Linda's musical merit. All in my opinion and nothing more.

sadly for some they'll totally miss the point I was trying to make.
Last edited by 24db on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Linda & Iris are a part of TD on musical merit IMO,they are an integral part of Tangerine Dream and i hope that will remain for many years to come.
And i will add that IMHO they are rather beautiful looking ladies with a delightful manner :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
hansx

Post by hansx »

epsilon75 wrote:Linda & Iris are a part of TD on musical merit IMO,they are an integral part of Tangerine Dream and i hope that will remain for many years to come.
And i will add that IMHO they are rather beautiful looking ladies with a delightful manner :arrow:
My idea. And of course I rather see some nice looking ladies then some bearded men. :D
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Andy's post above is the definitive statement on TD's performances

that's my opinion.

Ricochet-Moog
...The wise.....are silent.....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Whether she's playing keyboards or not is immaterial to me, it's great having her on stage. I love her playing regardless of whether it's sax, clarinet, recorder or didgeridoo but most of all I love to hear her playing flute, there's just not enough of that IMHO.

Oh and I shalln't forget in a hurry her broad smile at the SBE show in 2005.
A Hyperborean

Post by A Hyperborean »

24db wrote:[IMHO (at this stage in the development of electronic music) it counts for nothing the percentage of music 'hand-played' if the results don't move or excite you. I've been to 3 gigs this year where 99% of everything was controlled live and they've been some of the dullest gigs I've ever been to, not the fault of the musicians, just that the music didn't make a connection with me. I don't go to gigs to make notes about Moog serial numbers or see if the musican turns a knob up to 11 or not. The 'process' is interesting, but the 'results' matter far more
One of thing about TD is that nobody (and that includes your average fan right up to a self-titled musical experts) knows exactly how TD use technology. Nobody!

As for Linda, she's a talented musician, I've seen some comments about her over the years that have been totally OTT and idiotic, however I've never seen her give a poor performance or play a bum note. If people think she is there as eye candie then I'm affraid it says more about them as people than it does about Linda's musical merit. All in my opinion and nothing more
Well said 24dB. I think most of us are in agreement here. I have often thought that there are two ways to appreciate TD. First, on a studio album, where Edgar and company exploit high level music technology and use recording techniques of the highest calibre, often pioneering new musical approaches using new instrument types (and these new methods are often adopted later-on by the mainstream music community, usually to a lower standard). The second way of appreciation of TD is as a live band and this is where the controversy has arisen, with such comments as "knob twiddlers who ignore the audience". TD can't do exactly the same on stage as what it does in the studio to produce music with extraordinary complexity, intertwining melodic lines and subtle stereophonic listening effects. Even if they did it would be lost in the concert room environment, so they keep what they can live, keep it rhythmic and driving to maintain interest and excitement and even allow for a bit of improvisation, often with guitars. Perhaps the improvisational part of the live performance has become reduced, with less "flying on-the-wing" sequencing changes (Mr Franke's speciality or technology change?), but I think the real, hard-core fans understand why there is this difference. A live performance allows fans to see brilliant musicians present their music and show them the contribution that the various members make to the songs and the skills they have. The fans have the opportunity to show their appreciation to the band too. The evidence is plain to see: Edgar Froese has always striven to present TD's music to a live audience, he obviously enjoys this, even when things go wrong, and so do we.
Tangerine Dream cleans my brain.
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:Andy's post above is the definitive statement on TD's performances

that's my opinion.

Ricochet-Moog
Definitive BS from me :)