Michael Hoenig

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

Peter Beasley wrote:It's probably difficult for some new, young listeners to appreciate 70s electronic music like 'Departure From The Northern Wasteland', which was made before fully polyphonic programmable synthesizers and digital equipment was around.

To appreciate Hoenig, especially 'DFTNW', it helps if you're into rhythm patterns. One of Hoenig's skills is integrating sequencer patterns of different time signatures (something that TD have rarely done in the same way, e.g. a 15 step pattern combined with a 16 step pattern). There's a strong influence of minimalist composers like Philip Glass and Steve Reich in Hoenig's work.

One of the most sublime parts on 'DFTNW' is towards the end of the title track when two synchronized rhythms gradually drift apart and then move back in sync again. Wonderful.

And listen to the meticulously structured lead solo on 'Hanging Garden Transfer' - pure jazz, such expression.
I'll have to differ on the 'TD rarely used different time signatures' there Peter. CF is on record saying he liked using 5/4 and 7/8 etc etc against more standard stuff for sequences throughout the 80s (I seem to remember that Mojave Plan is in 5/4). BUT....Michael's stuff still sounds unique today.

If people would like to checkout different length sequences playing against longer or shorter sequences then they don't have to look further than Klaus Schulze. I'd hazard a guess that Klaus hit upon this as he needed to have a sequence play behind his soloing with little or no input from him during the gig (only TD had the luxury of 3 people with modulars and sequencers...plus the even more handy 6 hands to control them in real time), so that's why Klaus uses a 8 note sequence with a 7 step VCF sequence for example. You can make a long piece of music with quite simple sequences. Above and beyond that, it's just sounds good :)
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

24db wrote: I'll have to differ on the 'TD rarely used different time signatures' there Peter.
Yes, I take it back Andy. What I meant was the differences in emphasis in the way that Hoenig uses rhythms.

One example of TD using a lovely odd time signature sequence over a 4/4 beat is towards the end of 'London' on 'Tyger'.
24db

Post by 24db »

Peter Beasley wrote:
24db wrote: I'll have to differ on the 'TD rarely used different time signatures' there Peter.
Yes, I take it back Andy. What I meant was the differences in emphasis in the way that Hoenig uses rhythms.

One example of TD using a lovely odd time signature sequence over a 4/4 beat is towards the end of 'London' on 'Tyger'.
No I agree mate, Michael's sequencing is quite different.

Chris Franke adds some more detail, live from the Dream Hotel Foyer on the morning of Nov 6th 1982 (where was I that day I wonder? ;))

MB-“I see, so now you can specify 4 or 5 sequences of a certain length, you can then label those within the computer and then say go to sequence A four times, sequence B once and then back”

CF-“There can never be a rhythmical error in it (laughs), because the lengths of the bars is fixed, you can vary the length for any bar of course, but once you said I have 3/8th bar or something?”

MB-“And that’s the big difference now surely, that you are not restricted to just 4/4 or whatever now within one piece”?

CF-“You can play any kind: 15/16th of whatever you know. My favourite is 7/4 at the moment”

MB-“I was just going to ask you. I mean I grew up with Dave Brubeck and those kind of ‘jazzy’ rhythms: 5/4, 7/4, do you have that sort of feeling as well?

CF-“I don’t have a very jazzy feeling, but I like unregular (irregular?) bars a lot…”

MB-“You being a drummer, behind it all…”

CF-“I’ve been a drummer, but I also play the piano for a long time, and violin and trumpet, I’m not just a drummer. But anyway, when I tried out very strange rhythmical bars and measures they didn’t swing for me enough, now I’ve found a lot of consolations with two of different bars acting against each other which is smoothing up the whole rhythmical situation. I’m influenced maybe by African or Indian rhythmical events, because they’re using no only one measure at the same time, they have somehow a polyphonic pattern structure and so now I going very much into different situations of accents at the same time”

MB-“Yes of course this choice of rhythm say as a basis of a piece you could either set the machine rolling and say ‘oh that’s nice I’ll add something to this’ I’ll add a similar sound or you can actually go out and search for perhaps a primitive rhythm and transfer it into modern terms. Which you would use either method, wouldn’t you”?

CF-“Yes, that’s true”
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

BM will ask

so who is 'the sequencer king' ?

:D
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:BM will ask

Linda Spa obviously!
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

24db wrote:

Linda Spa obviously!

ridiculous answer :P :D
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

bigmoog wrote:
24db wrote:

Linda Spa obviously!

ridiculous answer :P :D
Klaus Schulze.. :idea: :wink:
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

I don't know if he's "The King", but CF certainly did some excellent sequencer work for TD :) :arrow:
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

Has anyone heard Michael Hoenig's newest album - "Departure From the Northern Wasteland"?
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

tdream4ever wrote:Has anyone heard Michael Hoenig's newest album - "Departure From the Northern Wasteland"?
:? That came out in 1978 David :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

epsilon75 wrote:
tdream4ever wrote:Has anyone heard Michael Hoenig's newest album - "Departure From the Northern Wasteland"?
~simply a superb album, I have four vinyl copies :oops: ~
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

epsilon75 wrote:
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Man I better cut back on the drinkin'. Or maybe its the flashbacks!!!
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

bigmoog wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
Is it out on cd?
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

tdream4ever wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
epsilon75 wrote: :? That came out in 1978 David :arrow:
Is it out on cd?

oh yes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Departure-North ... B0000018X3
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

tdream4ever wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
epsilon75 wrote: :? That came out in 1978 David :arrow:
Is it out on cd?
Yes it is David :)

Released on Kuckuk in 1987 - catalogue number: 11079-2

Should be easily available from Amazon...