Michael Hoenig

lemonstar
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Michael Hoenig

Post by lemonstar »

As just mentioned in my previous post on Wolfgang Duren I used to get copies of 2 (maybe 3) magazines on Electronic Music - Eurock and Interface (Face Out?) I *think* that an interview with MH in one of these mags that Hoenig himself said, (when asked about long period of time that had elapsed since the incredible "Return From the Norhern Wasteland" and the lack of definite news about a follow up) that he had actually recorded either 4 sides or 4 albums worth of material but he had rashly (after a visit to the pub) erased all the master tapes (didn't Mike Oldfield do something similar after TB?). I got the impression from the interview that he was a perfectionist who was frustrated that what he had done was not good enough. Does anyone else remember this story or anything similar circulating that would corroborate this?

Neil
24db

Post by 24db »

never heard that story Neil, but then again I think I've only ever seen two interviews with Michael in over 30 years.

I need to check my Eurock CD-ROM and see if it's in there
24db

Re: Michael Hoenig

Post by 24db »

lemonstar wrote:As just mentioned in my previous post on Wolfgang Duren I used to get copies of 2 (maybe 3) magazines on Electronic Music - Eurock and Interface (Face Out?) I *think* that an interview with MH in one of these mags that Hoenig himself said, (when asked about long period of time that had elapsed since the incredible "Return From the Norhern Wasteland" and the lack of definite news about a follow up) that he had actually recorded either 4 sides or 4 albums worth of material but he had rashly (after a visit to the pub) erased all the master tapes (didn't Mike Oldfield do something similar after TB?). I got the impression from the interview that he was a perfectionist who was frustrated that what he had done was not good enough. Does anyone else remember this story or anything similar circulating that would corroborate this?

Neil
here's an interview with Michael:

http://www.cyndustries.com/synapse/syna ... 1978&pic=0
Janus

Post by Janus »

I've not come across much either over the years as Andy says on Michael on the interview front, but have been keeping up to date from time to time
with his film score work through IMDB which seems to be have been his main focus of work for some years (The Blob, Koyaanisqatsi, Dark Skies etc). Another work of music I came about by Michael by pure coincidence was for a classic role playing game for the PC, Baldur's Gate altough being a score solely created for the game itself doubt it was ever released separately.

If like me your a fan of the Departure From The Northern Wasteland album
and missed Kindred Lost's (David Ryle) reworking of one of the tracks from it
(Hanging Garden Transfer) on the TDFZ Radio show on the 19th July, its well worth a listen. David I know went to an awful lot of effort regarding permissions to allow this work to be included exclusively on that edition so do check it out if anyone's not already.

http://tdfz.mypodcast.com/2008/07/TDFZ_ ... 26387.html
http://heyzradio.com
For Tim - Always in our thoughts and hearts, the dream remains the same
lemonstar

Post by lemonstar »

Thanks for that - a very interesting link. I'll come back another time and read some more of that issue. I read the pieces on Hoenig and Froese. MH seems very interested in the structure and composition of his own work - I think it suggests he worked on DftNW for 20 months - that seems like an eternity - perhaps that mentality, that way of working also explains the long delay before "Xcept one" was released. The Froese interview talking about meeting Bowie and Eno was also interesting...EF was clear that they could never work with Eno and vice-versa, frankly, I couldn't see it working myslef even though I'm a fan of Eno and Lanois's methods as producers who influence the music. (Daniel Lanois is also an under rated musician in his own right IMHO)

Neil
24db

Post by 24db »

lemonstar wrote:Thanks for that - a very interesting link. I'll come back another time and read some more of that issue. I read the pieces on Hoenig and Froese. MH seems very interested in the structure and composition of his own work - I think it suggests he worked on DftNW for 20 months - that seems like an eternity - perhaps that mentality, that way of working also explains the long delay before "Xcept one" was released. The Froese interview talking about meeting Bowie and Eno was also interesting...EF was clear that they could never work with Eno and vice-versa, frankly, I couldn't see it working myslef even though I'm a fan of Eno and Lanois's methods as producers who influence the music. (Daniel Lanois is also an under rated musician in his own right IMHO)

Neil
Neil, see the when David met Edgar thread elsewhere on this forum for more info
la sagesse du destin

Post by la sagesse du destin »

To be honest,I have not CD from Michael Hoenig.
I only know shorts excerpts.
Can you suggest me one CD from Michael.
Thanks

Charles
Infinite thanks to all the peoples from Eastgate and TD for the Japan Raffle.
www.tangram-dream.fr
jacob

Post by jacob »

Get "XCept One", I think it's magnificent. A bit like a very complex version of "Optical Race.
Jacob's Tangerine Dream Blog
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/
la sagesse du destin

jacob wrote:Get "XCept One", I think it's magnificent. A bit like a very complex version of "Optical Race.
Thank you Jacob
www.tangram-dream.fr
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

la sagesse du destin wrote:
jacob wrote:Get "XCept One", I think it's magnificent. A bit like a very complex version of "Optical Race.
Thank you Jacob
Charles

Please dont miss out on "Departure From The Northern Wasteland" its an EM classic IMHO and far to good to miss :idea: :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
la sagesse du destin

epsilon75 wrote:
Thank you Jacob
Charles

Please dont miss out on "Departure From The Northern Wasteland" its an EM classic IMHO and far to good to miss :idea: :wink:
How can I miss an EM classic!! :oops: :oops:
Promised Colin,I will buy it before next Christmas.
Thank you for your suggestion.

Charles
www.tangram-dream.fr
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

epsilon75 wrote:
la sagesse du destin wrote: Thank you Jacob
Charles

Charles
http://www.amazon.com/Departure-Norther ... B0000018X3
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

epsilon75 wrote:
epsilon75 wrote: Charles

Charles

http://www.amazon.com/Departure-Norther ... B0000018X3

I have just downloaded this album, never heard it before or anything by this guy so be interesting to hear it
lemonstar

Post by lemonstar »

la sagesse du destin wrote: How can I miss an EM classic!! :oops: :oops:

Charles
It'g going to be a beautiful moment for you to discover this music - I'm sure it will soon rank among the best pieces of non-TD muisc you will have heard. Enjoy.
redziller

Post by redziller »

lemonstar wrote:
la sagesse du destin wrote: How can I miss an EM classic!! :oops: :oops:

Charles
It'g going to be a beautiful moment for you to discover this music - I'm sure it will soon rank among the best pieces of non-TD muisc you will have heard. Enjoy.
Certain! I only got this the other day prompted by the TDFZ and it's had dozens of spins.

8)
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game