Chris Franke in Hollywood: Circa 1991/92

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Chris Franke in Hollywood: Circa 1991/92

Post by 24db »

Here is a transcribed part of a 50+ minute long private interview with Chris Franke. It's only the first 11 minutes or so, and I haven't had time to go back and correct things, so bare with me if this isn't 100% accurate:

the full review will be available soon(ish)
Last edited by 24db on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timer

Post by timer »

NICE ONE ANDY CHEERS 8)
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:NICE ONE ANDY CHEERS 8)
sorry it's not that readable (yet)...see me in London and I'll give you a few audio interviews on Mp3
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Interesting reading Andy,cheers for that 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:Interesting reading Andy,cheers for that 8)
cheers...the sadest bit of this is:

"...so I will do two years, three years solid film work, and do one sort of career, one side, which takes me a month or two a year, and then after that period I will be the live bit of the career, but just live, concentrating full on that thing and since film music is a great career as a promotion tool, to support live and other actions, and I live to tour with bits of nice films..."
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Thanks Andy. Goes some way to explain what happened to CF. I still think he could spend a little down-time putting together a EM album though.

He certainly likes to give a full response. I can imagine the interviewer looking down at his list of questions and thinking "Blimey, I'm going to be here for days". ;)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:

"...so I will do two years, three years solid film work, and do one sort of career, one side, which takes me a month or two a year, and then after that period I will be the live bit of the career, but just live, concentrating full on that thing and since film music is a great career as a promotion tool, to support live and other actions, and I live to tour with bits of nice films..."
Sadly what he promised absolutely did not materialise :oops:
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:Thanks Andy. Goes some way to explain what happened to CF. I still think he could spend a little down-time putting together a EM album though.

He certainly likes to give a full response. I can imagine the interviewer looking down at his list of questions and thinking "Blimey, I'm going to be here for days". ;)
to be honest most of it is about how he uses the Orchestra and what films he tried to get...(trivia time)...did you know he tried to get Baraka (a Ron Fricke film I think)? it was a bit like Koyanni(wosit) ;)
24db

Post by 24db »

Why didn't Johannes go to America and compose soundtracks?

JS: I always felt I am not the right person to make a career in Hollywood. I am to much rooted to the European culture, especially the German one. When we did the score for Michael Mann's Film “The Thief” in 1980, we did the final work in LA, in the Burbank Studios. I felt quite comfortable to work in LA, but after 3 weeks of work I was fed up and was glad, to fly back home. Berlin is a great city, very creative and moving.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:

Sadly what he promised absolutely did not materialise :oops:
Once again he shows what a musician says and what they do isn't always the same...or to put it another way, things are always as black and white as some fans would like to believe with TD
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:Why didn't Johannes go to America and compose soundtracks?

JS: I always felt I am not the right person to make a career in Hollywood. I am to much rooted to the European culture, especially the German one. When we did the score for Michael Mann's Film “The Thief” in 1980, we did the final work in LA, in the Burbank Studios. I felt quite comfortable to work in LA, but after 3 weeks of work I was fed up and was glad, to fly back home. Berlin is a great city, very creative and moving.
Had a feeling that was the case. I can see JS being happier doing quirky European soundtrack work rather than big budget Hollywood films.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Chris Monk wrote:

Had a feeling that was the case. I can see JS being happier doing quirky European soundtrack work rather than big budget Hollywood films.

Berlin is a great city,i must go back there soon 8)
Jon

Post by Jon »

Chris Monk wrote:

And I don't think JS has got that "Hollywood feel" in his music either. His stuff is more experimental.

And 24db, where is the link?