Jerome

Network23
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: Jerome

Post by Network23 »

rigel wrote:I wondered about this as well. I think it may be a private joke of Jerome's to call the track that. As it's an outtake from the first Dream Mixes album, did he give this piece the title "Comfortably Numb" back in the early 1990s I wonder?
You cannot copyright a song title, but he should have chosen another. People will look at the tracklist and think "He covered Pink Floyd?"
Rubyconesque

Post by Rubyconesque »

ANT wrote: " I do not see how Jerome, just because he was Edgar's son, can have any say in whether the TD name continues or not"

From his statement- "...No further concerts under the name Tangerine Dream"
I get the impression he is very much in a position to dictate who can and who can't use the TD name.
Network23

Post by Network23 »

I thought Bianca had a say in it? Jerome's post leaves me with the impression that he is not interested in doing anything under the name, from playing/recording/tribute, etc. He's not been a part of TD for 10 years...
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

If Jerome decides not to participate in anything further to do with TD then that's fine...his choice (and perfectly understandable, it's been clear for many
years that he wanted nothing more to do with TD (apart from re-mixing/rerecording/re-inventing tracks from when he was a member)

BUT, if Edgar made plans for after his death, then these plans should be followed.

No-one can be forced to buy any of whatever new material may come out, but I'm sure we all wish to
hear more of the great man's music.

Anyone that's uncomfortable with the situation (whatever it may be) has the option of going away.....
ant

Post by ant »

:? Unless Jerome's name is part of the 'Tangerine Dream' trademark (which I doubt), I do not see how he can say that there will be no more concerts under that band name. There may be no more under that name for him in which case that is his choice but unless he has some legal position behind him I do not see how he can stop the other members using the TD trademark. After all, other bands often continue when previous members have passed on so why should TD be any different? I think it should, and probably will be, up to Bianca - but we will see in time. :)
Biggus Dickus
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

ant wrote::? Unless Jerome's name is part of the 'Tangerine Dream' trademark (which I doubt), I do not see how he can say that there will be no more concerts under that band name. There may be no more under that name for him in which case that is his choice but unless he has some legal position behind him I do not see how he can stop the other members using the TD trademark. After all, other bands often continue when previous members have passed on so why should TD be any different? I think it should, and probably will be, up to Bianca - but we will see in time. :)
I think that's exactly right. Jerome is giving HIS viewpoint.

There may be plans for the future but HE does not wish to be part of them. But I doubt he's able to actually STOP them, other than to express his displeasure.
TDludo

Post by TDludo »

ant wrote:After all, other bands often continue when previous members have passed on so why should TD be any different?
I think Jerome explains that very clearly in his message : "Tangerine Dream was my Dad..."
A new cosmic address for the Master Dreamer...
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

TDludo wrote:
ant wrote:After all, other bands often continue when previous members have passed on so why should TD be any different?
I think Jerome explains that very clearly in his message : "Tangerine Dream was my Dad..."

And Edgar wasn't just a "member" of the band......
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

TDludo wrote:
Judging from some of Jerome's comments it seems he think TD have been dead for years. He can say what he wants. I am only glad he does not have anything to do with this at all.
Long live TD!
ant

Post by ant »

:? Of course Edgar founded the band and it was his brainchild but do you think without the other musicians involved over the years that TD would have lasted 47 years? Of course not. Most bands are formed by one or two people and are more than likely to carry on if one or both dies, if the other members feel like doing so. So once again I say, why should it be any different for TD. It is obvious that some people, like Jerome, don't want to see TD continue. Others, like me, do. Only Bianca and the other members can decide which way it goes and we will all have to wait and see. What I will say is, out of all those who say they want TD to end, how many will end up buying the cd's or going to concerts if they were to continue?? Also, although I have liked some of Jerome's music and that of Loom, TD were always bigger and I think would continue to be if they continued, even without the big man himself. Yes, we all miss Edgar dreadfully but life goes on, so why can't the mighty TD? :)
Biggus Dickus
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

ant wrote::? Of course Edgar founded the band and it was his brainchild but do you think without the other musicians involved over the years that TD would have lasted 47 years? Of course not. Most bands are formed by one or two people and are more than likely to carry on if one or both dies, if the other members feel like doing so. So once again I say, why should it be any different for TD. It is obvious that some people, like Jerome, don't want to see TD continue. Others, like me, do. Only Bianca and the other members can decide which way it goes and we will all have to wait and see. What I will say is, out of all those who say they want TD to end, how many will end up buying the cd's or going to concerts if they were to continue?? Also, although I have liked some of Jerome's music and that of Loom, TD were always bigger and I think would continue to be if they continued, even without the big man himself. Yes, we all miss Edgar dreadfully but life goes on, so why can't the mighty TD? :)
I agree with this 100%

:D
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Whilst I'm in the camp of "whatever Edgar decided before his untimely death is fine by me", I find it a ludicrous statement say say that
the band only lasted 47 years because of other members.... Edgar could have called a day on the band whenever he wanted to during its history,
NO other band member could have done this... as is proven by the number of ex-members who left/were fired/went off in a huff.

So if there's more to come, that's fantastic. If not, it would be sad we if we didn't get to hear some Quantum Years music...
ant

Post by ant »

:) I seem to remember that Edgar once said at the end of a concert that if it wasn't for the other friends/members of the band it may well be him just sitting on his own with a harmonica trying to do the TD back-catalogue (words to that effect). So I feel even he was admitting that without them TD would have finished years ago and he would have probably just continued a solo career. Therefore, if TD existed those years because of his friends/band colleagues then why shouldn't they carry on and complete the Quantum years if that is what they want to do? This, of course, is my own humble opinion and has no part in the outcome. :roll:
Biggus Dickus
RAYMAN1970

Post by RAYMAN1970 »

I respect Jerome as a musician. He has done some very good solo work and I really like LOOM, but LOOM is not TANGERINE DREAM and neither is Jerome.

I respect his decision not to have any part of TD ever again. As an artist, you have to be free enough to pursue your art however you see fit, otherwise it's not YOUR art. It's someone else's.

HOWEVER, Jerome has not been a part of TD for approximatley TEN YEARS.

So HOW can he have a say-so in whether or not TD will continue?

Because he's Edgar's son?

The truth of the matter is, he DOESN'T have a say-so. The only thing he has control over is NOT to be a part of TD. If he wanted to reunite with the band, I'm sure Ulrich, Thorsten, and Hoshiko would have to approve, so even THAT is not within Jerome's control.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, the remaining "official" members of the band and, in some smaller part, Bianca, have the right to say whether or not TD should, can, or will continue.

I miss Edgar. We all do.

I just feel that this is not what he would have wanted after his passing; a whole bunch of people arguing over if TD should continue, who should be involved, who shouldn't be invloved, etc., etc.

Edgar was a very smart man. I'm sure he left plans or final wishes as to how or even IF to continue the TD legacy after his passing, and I think that is the ONLY opinion that really matters in the big picture.

Peace.
:mrgreen:
ant

Post by ant »

:) I agree. All we are doing here on this forum is discussing what we would like or not like to happen and is probably quite interesting for all the Eastgate team and Thorsten etc to read but at the end of the day they are the ones who will decide and until that time comes we can continue to give our opinions of which probably none will have any sway on the final outcome. But, hey, discussion/debate is good and here it means that the name TD continues, and for me that can only be a good thing. You are still with us Edgar and always will be. :D
Biggus Dickus