Michael Hoenig - Departure From The Northern Wasteland

Peter Beasley
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Michael Hoenig - Departure From The Northern Wasteland

Post by Peter Beasley »

2008 is the 30th anniversary of this superb album. It has been my favourite album for most of those years and is quite rightly regarded as a classic of the Berlin School genre.

Inspired by minimalist composers like Philip Glass and Steve Reich, what makes this album outstanding for me is the subtle multi-layered sequencer rhythms in different time signatures, blended perfectly together and on 'Hanging Garden Transfer', Hoenig shows his musicianship skill with expressive, jazz influenced lead lines.

Anyone who loves mid-70s TD should own this album, but I wish the CD release had used the original cover with the balloons.

By the way, the UK music paper Sounds gave 'Departure' a brilliant review when it was released. Does anyone have the review and could post it here?
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

I really like that LP. At first it annoyed me for it's sequencing too similar to TD, but I agree now. It is a classic.
Unfortunately I can't help with the article, but on EMportal someone made me aware of an interview with him from 1978 in Synapse Magazine.
http://www.cyndustries.com/synapse/intro.cfm
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Departure from the Northern Wasteland is a great album and I don't think the CD version I have does it justice. I'd love to hear a fully remastered version because it was certainly better on vinyl.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

I do recall the sounds review, not sure If I still have it tho'

DFTNW is a classic EM album
...The wise.....are silent.....
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Ok, the thing about the vinyl Departure is the great cover art [which I always stare at when listening to the music....cos Im nutty like that], the wonderful music, which at the time was so TD it was TD.....these days I play it quite often as its another addictive, if predictable and dated yet modern, classic slice of late 70's electronic music....it aint no berlin schuul tho', more schwabische strasse stylee
...The wise.....are silent.....
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Wonderful album from MH,it sure is a classic of the EM world 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
prophetfive

Post by prophetfive »

epsilon75 wrote:Wonderful album from MH,it sure is a classic of the EM world 8)
:D :D I play this a lot. A pure classic. 8) :wink: :arrow:
timer

Post by timer »

Tis a good un, and agreed would benefit from a digital remastering . 8)
prophetfive

Post by prophetfive »

:D :D Oh, Can we have the cold air balloons back on the artwork, when it gets remastered :idea: :arrow:
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:I really like that LP. At first it annoyed me for it's sequencing too similar to TD, but I agree now. It is a classic.
Unfortunately I can't help with the article, but on EMportal someone made me aware of an interview with him from 1978 in Synapse Magazine.
nice interview with Edgar in the same issue (with some comments about Eno and Bowie)
timer

Post by timer »

24db wrote:
Pertou wrote:I really like that LP. At first it annoyed me for it's sequencing too similar to TD, but I agree now. It is a classic.
nice interview with Edgar in the same issue (with some comments about Eno and Bowie)
there was a Bowie documentary on TV a few years ago , and i was astounded how many times he mention Edgar and his love of EIMP. The guys got taste. 8)
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:
24db wrote:
there was a Bowie documentary on TV a few years ago , and i was astounded how many times he mention Edgar and his love of EIMP. The guys got taste. 8)
well, he did say he didn't like TD's music, so I think his taste has limits ;)
HarryPotter No7

Post by HarryPotter No7 »

timer wrote:
24db wrote:

Is this the one where Mr Bowie kept referring to Edgar as Edward Froese, very amusing :D
24db

Post by 24db »

Track one is very very good, but the rest doesn't hold my attention and hasn't been played in years