Tangerine Dream on the radio...broadcasts and transcripts?

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Tangerine Dream on the radio...broadcasts and transcripts?

Post by 24db »

Thought I'd start the ball rolling with a transcript from 1977, from CHOM-FM which is a Canadian radio station (you should be familar with the name already) who interviewed Chris and Edgar during their North American tour:

http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... om-fm.html

Apparently Larry Wilson was one of the first people to break the news that John Lennon died. Does anyone else have any info on this DJ? (the info on the net says he did a 10pm - 2am spot on CHOM)

Whilst on the subject do you have any memories of past TD interviews on the radio, perhaps we can pool some info here? Personally I've got about 30, and....given time I'll probably transcribe and put them up on my blog during the year
Hobo

Re: Tangerine Dream on the radio...broadcasts and transcript

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:Thought I'd start the ball rolling with a transcript from 1977, from CHOM-FM which is a Canadian radio station (you should be familar with the name already) who interviewed Chris and Edgar during their North American tour:

Apparently Larry Wilson was one of the first people to break the news that John Lennon died. Does anyone else have any info on this DJ? (the info on the net says he did a 10pm - 2am spot on CHOM)

Whilst on the subject do you have any memories of past TD interviews on the radio, perhaps we can pool some info here? Personally I've got about 30, and....given time I'll probably transcribe and put them up on my blog during the year
Ah, the sublime TT3 Vol.18. Love this broadcast from CHOM-FM. :D
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:Thought I'd start the ball rolling with a transcript from 1977, from CHOM-FM which is a Canadian radio station who interviewed Chris and Edgar during their North American tour:

Very much look forward to them.................the guy who did the talk over for the 77 TD Canadian concert on Chom-FM is this the guy you are talking about? His voice cracks me up on that gig and on the boot(Patrolling Space Borders).
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:Thought I'd start the ball rolling with a transcript from 1977, from CHOM-FM which is a Canadian radio station who interviewed Chris and Edgar during their North American tour:

Very much look forward to them.................the guy who did the talk over for the 77 TD Canadian concert on Chom-FM is this the guy you are talking about? His voice cracks me up on that gig and on the boot(Patrolling Space Borders).
No I think that's Professor Mota from WGTB FM...news item to follow:
Last edited by 24db on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

WGTB FM/ WASHINGTON, DC -PROF Mota
ARTIST(S):TANGERINE DREAM WITH LASERIUM
PLACE & DATE: LISNER AUDITORIUM - APRIL 4
TICKET PRICE: $5.00
CAPACITY: 1500
ATTENDANCE: FULL HOUSE
PRODUCTION VALUES: GOOD
REVIEWERS REACTION:

TANGERINE DREAM came to stage with an audience that was ready for them. This successful event was broadcast live on 90. i. st ? (I can't read this bit :D).. From the beginning of the show they kept the obscurity that surrounds them, concentrating strictly in playing. The hallucinogenic audio-visual experience of TD and "Laserium"- a fantastic laser lights show, was like a trip into a Space Odyssey. In the five years that Dream have been together they've developed an improvising technique in both music and engineering. They have their instruments individually connected to a junction box that feeds the L&R channels of the P.A. Each of them adjusts his own levels. After 45 minutes, they had a break and came back with an assortment of tunes from Stratosfear, Phaedra and songs that were hard to define. Edgar Froese fascinated the audience with his baroque guitar playing. Dream came back for 2 encores and left Washington satisfied with 1 hour, 45 minutes of their creations.

Thanks to Chris Franke for the "on the air" interview we had in between encores, all the Virgin Record's staff in N.Y, the TD road crew, CBS Records, Cellar Door and Penguin Feather for their cooperation in making this broadcast possible.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

To be there must have been some experience.............i always thought that Chom-FM broadcast was from the Montreal Show of the same tour :oops: CJ still learning everyday :roll: :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:To be there must have been some experience.............i always thought that Chom-FM broadcast was from the Montreal Show of the same tour :oops: CJ still learning everyday :roll: :wink:
Might have been mate, or the discs may be mislabelled. The Prof Mota geezer defintely did that write up (I've scanned it in from a photocopy), so I think the radio Ident is correct, CHOM-FM definetely did an interview with Chris and Edgar as I have the recording.

More on that show, as we're on the subject:

WASHINGTON POST, April 5, 1977
The Synthetic Tangerine

Rarely has the impact of modern technology on music been more strikingly illustrated than by what took place last night before a full house
at Lisner Auditorium. Perhaps more than any pop concert in recent years, the Washington debut of the three young German musicians who go by the name of Tangerine Dream signalled that, like it or not, the age of synthetic music is upon us.

For the most part, Tangerine Dream’s two-hour-plus performance made for an entertaining, if occasionally intimidating experience. Seated amid some 20-odd synthesizers, Mellotrons, echo chambers and rhythm computers, Edgar Froese, Christoph Franke and Peter Baumann generated an incredible array of artificial sound, this to the visual accompaniment of a $250,000 laser unit called the “Laserium.”
Yet even with all these symbols of the space age surrounding them, Tangerine Dream offer some familiar points of reference, The drone bass and percussion patterns generated by Baumann’s several synthesizers kept a steady beat going on most of the extended numbers, and Froese occasionally played electric guitar or acoustic grand piano. It was on the latter instrument that he quoted from Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata” early in a piece called “Invisible Limits”.

Regardless of how one reacts to Tangerine Dream’s music, the group is impressive on a technical level. Their use of Mellotrons to duplicate the sound of real strings and brass is unexcelled, but it is their intelligent and varied use of synthesizers that is perhaps more revelatory. At last there is a pop group that doesn’t think of the synthesizer as just a souped-up version of the organ.

Larry Rohter
24db

Post by 24db »

Wait a minute, did I just read that right?

...The drone bass and percussion patterns generated by Baumann’s several synthesizers...
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Great reading these clippings...............they really were the masters of their craft :wink: Thanks :D
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:Great reading these clippings...............they really were the masters of their craft :wink: Thanks :D
Probably too much info mate :) btw

Prof Mota is a drug reference(Spanish slang for marijuana), but the actual guy was called Leo del Aguila (sadly he's now died, as has Alison Steele who did the intro to one of TD's gigs during the '77 tour, as well as doing the famous Army ROTC adverts that mention TD).

More about the radio station:

http://www.dcrtv.org/wgtb.html
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

epsilon75 wrote:To be there must have been some experience.............i always thought that Chom-FM broadcast was from the Montreal Show of the same tour :oops: CJ still learning everyday :roll: :wink:
I thought the same as you Colin. Also, doesn't the text read "In the 5 years that Dream have been together..."? Strange for a 1977 article, don't you think?
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
I thought the same as you Colin. Also, doesn't the text read "In the 5 years that Dream have been together..."? Strange for a 1977 article, don't you think?
I think you're both thinking of the correct recording, from CHOM, but Prof Mota worked for the Washington radio station. Mind you if anyone would like to correct me....
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
Hobo wrote:
I think you're both thinking of the correct recording, from CHOM, but Prof Mota worked for the Washington radio station. Mind you if anyone would like to correct me....
Just listened to that portion of the recording, definitely the Places des Arts broadcast. It seems that CHOM were quite interested in TD. Thanks for the articles Andy. Always nice to gain more background, especially from my favourite TD era. I wish I had been there!
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
Hobo wrote: I thought the same as you Colin. Also, doesn't the text read "In the 5 years that Dream have been together..."? Strange for a 1977 article, don't you think?
Just listened to that portion of the recording, definitely the Places des Arts broadcast. It seems that CHOM were quite interested in TD. Thanks for the articles Andy. Always nice to gain more background, especially from my favourite TD era. I wish I had been there!

Thanks for putting that straight Mick,somehow i just had the Place De Arts gig stuck in my mind :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
Hobo wrote: I thought the same as you Colin. Also, doesn't the text read "In the 5 years that Dream have been together..."? Strange for a 1977 article, don't you think?
More from the 77 tour (you've probably read them before though):

http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... -bang.html
http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... erium.html
http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... e-age.html
http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... ummer.html