TD/Berlin and Bowie

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

Echosnare wrote:
24db wrote:As Bowie said...I came to Berlin to recover from my drug addition, I didn't realize it was the smack capital of Europe'
And there was me thinking that was Edinburgh...... :wink:
Nah...that's the slap capital of Europe
24db

Post by 24db »

Btw the documentary used Phaedra twice as part of it's soundtrack
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

A little hooray for David Bowie, who celebrated his 60th birthday yesterday!
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Pertou wrote:A little hooray for David Bowie, who celebrated his 60th birthday yesterday!

Considering the snow intake of the 70s he looks bloody good for his age 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

epsilon75 wrote:
Pertou wrote:A little hooray for David Bowie, who celebrated his 60th birthday yesterday!

He looks beter than I do and I'm only 42. :oops:
24db

Post by 24db »

sparrow wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

He looks beter than I do and I'm only 42. :oops:
Call David's Plastic Surgeon toll free on 10123..29.......$ ;)
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

In connection with David Bowie's 60 years birthday, Danish national television, DR2, yesterday broadcasted a 2 hour long special on David Bowie.
The most interesting section was called "Bowie i Berlin" - a programme DR2 had made for the occasion, which covered his Berlin years, when he made the albums, Low, Heroes and Lodger
It did not have interviews with Bowie himself, but several other interesting characters:

- Tony Visconti: His producer who told that one of the reasons why Bowie decided to move to Berlin, when he wanted to get away from L.A. and the drugs, was that it was where members from Tangerine Dream resided.

- Eduard Meyer: Engineer in Hansa Studios (where Tangerine Dream recorded Force Majeure and Tangram, which he engineered), told anecdotes about the very beautiful, and historic studio. He also showed locations around Berlin, like where Bowie and Iggy Pop lived and so on.

- A drag queen called Ruma Haag, who claimed to have been his lover...

- Photographer Mick Rock, who followed Bowie and took his pictures.

Along with NEU! and Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream was mentioned a couple of times, which appearently was one of the reasons he moved to Berlin. I've only seen TD mentioned on Danish television once before, and that was in a Röyksopp interview. :)

I did not record it, but I will, when it's re-broadcast on the 13th of January, because it was very interesting.
Somehow I have not purchased this Berlin Trilogy, but they are on my wish list now.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAVID!
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:In connection with David Bowie's 60 years birthday, Danish national television, DR2, yesterday broadcasted a 2 hour long special on David Bowie.
The most interesting section was called "Bowie i Berlin" - a programme DR2 had made for the occasion, which covered his Berlin years, when he made the albums, Low, Heroes and Lodger
It did not have interviews with Bowie himself, but several other interesting characters:

- Tony Visconti: His producer who told that one of the reasons why Bowie decided to move to Berlin, when he wanted to get away from L.A. and the drugs, was that it was where members from Tangerine Dream resided.

- Eduard Meyer: Engineer in Hansa Studios (where Tangerine Dream recorded Force Majeure and Tangram, which he engineered), told anecdotes about the very beautiful, and historic studio. He also showed locations around Berlin, like where Bowie and Iggy Pop lived and so on.

Along with NEU! and Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream was mentioned a couple of times, which appearently was one of the reasons he moved to Berlin. I've only seen TD mentioned on Danish television once before, and that was in a Röyksopp interview. :)

I did not record it, but I will, when it's re-broadcast on the 13th of January, because it was very interesting.
Somehow I have not purchased this Berlin Trilogy, but they are on my wish list now.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAVID!
I'll add a direct quote from Edgar and Peter about Davd Bowie later today
24db

Post by 24db »

This small excerpt comes from a longer article called 'The 120 decibel Dream' by Miles, NME, 1977. (I think I've found out the actual date they first met: april 10th 1976)

...It was time to catch up on the gossip. The last question I wanted to ask Edgar on the plane was about the possibility of a Froese-Bowie collaboration. Ever since it became known that Edgar and David had been running around together there have been rumours of this possibility. Edgar described his meeting with the thin white person:

“I met him the first time in a Berlin restaurant after his Berlin concert of may last year (10.4.76). He said he liked my “Epsilon in Malaysian Pale” record very much and I said ‘Thank you very much’. It was very funny. Then we started talking about the matter of timeless music- what is timeless music? Then we went to the classics and then we went to rock ‘n’ roll and all the stuff which you could call timeless by style- by style of music.

“So we found out that he wants to do the same as I want to do, to create a timeless music, a specific style of combinations between centuries. Of course I like his stuff very much, except one or two records. Then I found out he was four years in art school and was involved in graphics and I did the same. We were talking about 3 or 4 hours.

“He left and then came back on August last year. He got a flat in Berlin and every day or every second day we went out and had long conversations about art, because he is very involved with art- techniques and the styles of painting. But the problem was that my time plan was different to his time plan…”

Bowie had “Low” to make, Edgar had “Macular Transfer”, Edgar had to make the T-Dream album “Stratosfear” and Bowie had a European tour and by that time Edgar was in Los Angeles with Friedkin…

“It was impossible to see each other. We hadn’t got to talking about doing some stuff together. We could do but…

“It’s sort of difficult for people like he is. It’s not necessary for musicians to earn publicity. I think keep business away from friendship. Now what I want to say is that…the first part would be ‘Okay, let’s work together’. Then there might come up strange things like record companies and the money and, ahh…I’m not really interested in that at all. And he isn’t at all. We were talking about that in Berlin- whether it could be announced without any publicity but up till now we’re just good friends…”
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Thanks for this, I find their meeting/relationship very interesting. :D
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:Thanks for this, I find their meeting/relationship very interesting. :D
No problem mate. It's not been well documented and Edgar never really made a big fuss about it, he kept it private for the most part, until quite recently. I seem to remember that David was interviewed in a German newspaper or online a few years back and they asked him 'who do want to meet whilst you're over here?' and he replied something like 'Edgar and Monica Froese, they helped me so much when I was on drugs and looked after me'

Btw Peter Baumann also knew David quite well
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
Pertou wrote:Thanks for this, I find their meeting/relationship very interesting. :D
No problem mate. It's not been well documented and Edgar never really made a big fuss about it, he kept it private for the most part, until quite recently. I seem to remember that David was interviewed in a German newspaper or online a few years back and they asked him 'who do want to meet whilst you're over here?' and he replied something like 'Edgar and Monica Froese, they helped me so much when I was on drugs and looked after me'

Btw Peter Baumann also knew David quite well

Obviously from these postings they had a very good friendship and affection for each other,interesting stuff to read :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:In connection with David Bowie's 60 years birthday, Danish national television, DR2, yesterday broadcasted a 2 hour long special on David Bowie.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAVID!
Tangram recorded at Hansa by the wall? new one on me, I always thought it was recorded at Polygon studios in Berlin.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Recorded at Polygon Studios Berlin 1980

Mixed at Hansa Studios Berlin

Mixing Engineer Eduard Meyer :arrow:
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:Recorded at Polygon Studios Berlin 1980

Mixed at Hansa Studios Berlin

Mixing Engineer Eduard Meyer :arrow:
ah, well I sit corrected, Cheers chaps