What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

projekt-elektronik
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

Post by projekt-elektronik »

I think TD should be put to rest for good. I've already felt a bit irritated by Kraftwerk being headed by Ralf Hütter only as the final remaining band member of the original line-up. Anything that will follow after Edgar's passing will be measured against what TD have created since 1970, and I am not sure it will withstand the test of time.

I'd rather have another group that carries on in the spirit of TD without relying on the trademark that, to me at least, ended up being an outlet for music I felt was nothing short of being embarrassing more often than once.

But this is, of course, only me.
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Please let Tangerine Dream rest,for good. Tangerine Dream without Edgar,is just not Tangerine Dream. Although I have the upmost respect for former members,I would find it impossible to follow a Tangerine Dream without Edgar. TD 1967 -2015 The End.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

Edgar has explained the meaning of "Tangerine Dream" here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-50wXJnLzk

So, Edgar has now woken up from "The Dream", his dream. Because of that it should be inconceivable for anyone to continue with that name. Of course all of his former bandmates are free to collaborate in any combination they want, but I trust them no one will be that disrespectful calling any future project "Tangerine Dream".

By experiencing closure we often get a new appreciation of what has been. The time has come for that. Let us remember the good times, all the TD music we've loved and are still able to enjoy. In absence of "The Quantum Years", this remembering could be every fan's personal final phase of TD.
Network23

Post by Network23 »

This is my first post. I've been involved in discussions on a couple progressive rock boards and I've read TD:TOF for some time, but never actually registered to post till now.

I'm firmly in the camp that without Edgar Froese, there can be no Tangerine Dream. Edgar was and is Tangerine Dream. I'm convinced of that now more than ever, though by saying it I do not mean to discredit the stellar roster of musicians who have shared in the glory, especially Peter Baumann, Johannes Schmoelling and Paul Haslinger. My preferred "era" is the one with Johannes, a wellspring of the best overall sound palette ever at the band's disposal, thanks in no small part to Christoph Franke. However, the chief candidate for my single favorite studio album is Force Majeure.

A tribute concert event with members of various line-ups would be fantastic. Were it to happen, I imagine only former members living in Europe would appear. Peter, Paul and Chris (along with Michael Hoenig, I believe) reside in California. Baumann is no longer involved in music.

Loom will likely continue to be active, and that's great, a variation on a theme begun by Edgar, God rest his soul. We are so fortunate to possess thousands of hours of incredible music, by he and other TD alumni and all those they have inspired to walk the path begun in 1967.

The Dream Lives On!
Donofrio_TD

Post by Donofrio_TD »

Network23 wrote:This is my first post. I've been involved in discussions on a couple progressive rock boards and I've read TD:TOF for some time, but never actually registered to post till now.

I'm firmly in the camp that without Edgar Froese, there can be no Tangerine Dream. Edgar was and is Tangerine Dream. I'm convinced of that now more than ever, though by saying it I do not mean to discredit the stellar roster of musicians who have shared in the glory, especially Peter Baumann, Johannes Schmoelling and Paul Haslinger. My preferred "era" is the one with Johannes, a wellspring of the best overall sound palette ever at the band's disposal, thanks in no small part to Christoph Franke. However, the chief candidate for my single favorite studio album is Force Majeure.

A tribute concert event with members of various line-ups would be fantastic. Were it to happen, I imagine only former members living in Europe would appear. Peter, Paul and Chris (along with Michael Hoenig, I believe) reside in California. Baumann is no longer involved in music.

Loom will likely continue to be active, and that's great, a variation on a theme begun by Edgar, God rest his soul. We are so fortunate to possess thousands of hours of incredible music, by he and other TD alumni and all those they have inspired to walk the path begun in 1967.

The Dream Lives On!
Welcome to the forum, Network23!! A shame you signed up under such sad circumstances but glad to have you here, either way!! Keep posting whenever you feel like it...
Force Maysuere

Post by Force Maysuere »

I agree Tangerine Dream without Edgar is not Tangerine Dream. I think at the end of the day the final decision should come down to Bianca as she should decide on how best to remember her husband and whether the group should carry on under the name of Tangerine Dream or another name. It would be a shame for Thorsten, Ulrich and Hoshiko not to carry on in some form or other. If they are looking for a new name why not The Quantum Years...links the old with the new and carries on Edgar's memory into the new new/future as, after all, this was his latest (and last) period of music for the group.
geehigh

Post by geehigh »

Hello everybody. This is also my first post, as I tend to stay well away from fan-sites. I'm of the generation where the word 'fanatic' holds negative connotations.

Having said that, I have been an admirer of Tangerine Dream's work since the mid-1970s - so I thought I would say hello and offer up my impressions on this subject for perusal, discussion, and disagreement! :D

Tangerine Dream without Edgar Froese is not Tangerine Dream: It really isn't. I know you've heard this before enough already, but that does not stop the statement being true.

Sure - the name could continue, but such an iteration could only ever be a footnote, a facsimile, or photocopy. To paraphrase Edgar's opinion on samples – it would be nothing but a 'two-dimensional postcard from heaven - nothing to do with the real thing'.

Jerome Froese got it in one for me when he said the 'captain has left the ship'. Sure - there are plenty of people out there who could potentially take charge and steer it, but to what purpose and where to?

The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and Queen have been down this road – and all they have done is confuse their legacy and tarnish their reputation - of course they also sold lots of extra units - but that (hopefully) is another discussion.

In addition, whoever took on the Tangerine Dream mantle would have to tolerate the 'well, it's not the same without Edgar' comments forever. Such sentiments would be quite correct, unfortunately. So why would any musician want to shackle their own artistic journey in this way?

Sadly, it's time to say goodbye and let it go. The music and memories are there if you want to reminisce, and an awful lot of it will still take you to a place quite far away. Why not re-explore and find out what you missed the last time around? There are also enough projects from ex-members flying about to keep the most ardent TD admirer busy.

As for tributes – if any ex-TD musicians would like to do it, well and good – that would be very nice; It's also fine if they don't want to do it though - they are all artists in their own right.

Everything ends - that's the way it works around here. It just happens to be Tangerine Dream's turn. Don't get me wrong; this is a sad day.

These are my personal opinions only – not to be taken internally!

Greetings and Best wishes!
Network23

Post by Network23 »

Donofrio_TD wrote:Welcome to the forum, Network23!! A shame you signed up under such sad circumstances but glad to have you here, either way!! Keep posting whenever you feel like it...
Thank you! Not sure why I never reg'd here before.

General question: I saw mention of the intended closing of the Eastgate shop. Is this still going to happen? I probably need to place an order soon...
dream-fan

Post by dream-fan »

Hi Network 23, where did you read or hear that the Eastgate shop will close?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Network23 wrote:This is my first post. I've been involved in discussions on a couple progressive rock boards and I've read TD:TOF for some time, but never actually registered to post till now.

The Dream Lives On!
I think Hoenig lives in Spain now, at least that's what he said in the liner notes of The Blob a few years ago.
Network23

Post by Network23 »

dream-fan wrote:Hi Network 23, where did you read or hear that the Eastgate shop will close?
Hi, dream-fan, actually I read it on this forum. So it's not true? If so, that's great. It should be the outlet for future archival releases. I'm being hopeful...
Network23

Post by Network23 »

Jon wrote:I think Hoenig lives in Spain now, at least that's what he said in the liner notes of The Blob a few years ago.
I was under the impression he still maintained a residence in the state, but if he left, it wouldn't surprise me. It's expensive in the cities.
trekky and smurfy

Post by trekky and smurfy »

just over 2 weeks since the passing of edgar, we have been watching this post but have been unable to comment, until now

tangerine dream, we think should finish, it cannot go on without edgar, we wish all the best to the remaining band members
and will follow them with much interest, as for jerome, he has his path to follow.

the e- mail from EB about the tribute album and concert and eastgate continuing, bianca finishing and adding to the autobiography
was welcome news, our love to you all.

we have only listened to the radio since edgars passing, but going slightly off this topic, wifey and me are trying to kick a 30+ year smoking habit, so we are now vaping, we found a uk e-liquid supplier that makes TANGERINE DREAM e- liquid (fresh tangerines and blueberrys) it arrived, so we filled up our tanks, switched the radio off, and played our much cherished edgar vinyl, AQUA, STUNTMAN, KAMIKAZI and PINNACLES, for the first time since the news of edgars passing, we could actually face playing his music.

a few beers, a toast to the great man, superb memories.

steve/lisa
stand on hills' of long forgotten yesterdays'
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

trekky and smurfy wrote:
we have only listened to the radio since edgars passing, but going slightly off this topic, wifey and me are trying to kick a 30+ year smoking habit, so we are now vaping, we found a uk e-liquid supplier that makes TANGERINE DREAM e- liquid (fresh tangerines and blueberrys) it arrived, so we filled up our tanks, switched the radio off, and played our much cherished edgar vinyl, AQUA, STUNTMAN, KAMIKAZI and PINNACLES, for the first time since the news of edgars passing, we could actually face playing his music.

a few beers, a toast to the great man, superb memories.

steve/lisa
It's difficult isn't it. I still feel so sad listening to the music but enjoying working my way through everything. Really appreciating it all more than ever now.

Think I might take up vaping Tangerine Dream e-liquid to enhance my mood and experience (joking).

Good luck with stopping. Difficult but absolutely worth it !!

I have not had a beer since toasting Edagr the night we all heard, so tonight I am going to listen to Dream music whilst having a few beers and drink to the man who has made a massive musical imprint on my life. I will never stop thinking about Edgar and listening to Tangerine Dream. It is so important to me.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Network23 wrote:
Jon wrote:I think Hoenig lives in Spain now, at least that's what he said in the liner notes of The Blob a few years ago.
I was under the impression he still maintained a residence in the state
You are probably right. He doesn't "need" to live there though, as he left the Hollywood film music business ten years ago.