TD HISTORY (REINVENTED)

angelus
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

TD HISTORY (REINVENTED)

Post by angelus »

#43 TD’s copyright notes of all compositions are mostly named and/or divided equally between the actual band members. Does this reflect the true contribution of each member to each composition on the individual albums?
The list of “who did what” in his up-coming book will set things straight. Some “kings” will easily become “beggars” and the other way round.
Dear Edgar, I've been a fan of TD since Phaedra, and I want to assure you that no matter how hard you try, many of us know too well who was the king of Mellotron (actually it was you), who was the king of sequencer (actually it wasn't you), the king of synth solos (it wasn't you either).
You can write tons of pages about who composed what part, but the truth is that with Mr. Baumann parting we all corroborated too well what was his part in the band, as happened again with Mr. Franke's parting many years after that.
You can own Tangerine Dream trademark, you can write whatever you please but WE know the truth. Please continue making music. With each new record we are able to judge what your musical skills, compositions and sensibilities are, and they are not certainly the part that many of us loved from Tangerine Dream's music.

#44 Mr. Franke has called himself a founding member of TD, is this true?
If he really said that then it’s a lie. When Edgar founded TD in September 1967 Mr. Franke had just reached the age of 13. Can anybody imagine Edgar asking a 13 year-old boy to join the band?
Mr. Franke was a member of Tangerine Dream from the first official TD record and he remained a member for many years. His contribution to TD is beyond any doubt for TD lovers all around the world. I really don't care what was Mr. Froese doing in 1969, TD became world known from the release of Phaedra, and Mr. Franke and Mr. Baumann contribution to that sound was key.
The key of TD sound and success was the mixture (not always easy) of three great minds, personalities and sensibilities. You want to say that you composed 90% of Stratosfear or Sorcerer? Go ahead; I prefer to remember you as one of my three favorite's musicians.
24db

Post by 24db »

who's the 'we' here mate? who are you talking for?

Nice post though, don't agree with it, but a very nice post nevertheless
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Who is "we"? I've heard Edgar's solo albums and there is sequencing as good as any on them and the TD albums post 1987 such as Optical Race.
Last edited by Desert_Voyager on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Desert_Voyager wrote:Who is "we"? I've heard Edgar's solo albums and there is sequencing as good as any on them.
Indeed - in fact some of my all time favourite sequencing is on Ages.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

billythefish wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:Who is "we"? I've heard Edgar's solo albums and there is sequencing as good as any on them.
Indeed - in fact some of my all time favourite sequencing is on Ages.
Ages and Stuntman and Kamikaze are just a few Edgar Froese albums with quintessential sequencing.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

angelus wrote:Mr. Franke was a member of Tangerine Dream from the first official TD record.
No, he wasn't.
angelus wrote:You can write tons of pages about who composed what part, but the truth is that with Mr. Baumann parting we all corroborated too well what was his part in the band, as happened again with Mr. Franke's parting many years after that.
"We all"? Is "angelus" a group of people?
Please do not speak on behalf of all listeners, as I, and many others, do most certainly not support this statement.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Well it's an opinion is suppose. We're all entitled. But I don't really feel a part of this "We" he refers to.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

who is/are the mysterious one/ones :arrow: :? :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Echosnare

Post by Echosnare »

Look on the bright side.

We only got #43 & #44 posted. We didn't have to sit through the other 42 thoughts. :wink:
burningbrain

Re: TD HISTORY (REINVENTED)

Post by burningbrain »

angelus wrote: I really don't care what was Mr. Froese doing in 1969
But I do, and I think many others here too.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

It all comes down to the old problem of posting opinion as fact. (All IMO, of course). :wink:
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Einstein's Barber (ADMIN)

Re: TD HISTORY (REINVENTED)

Post by Einstein's Barber (ADMIN) »

angelus wrote:#43 TD’s copyright notes of all compositions are mostly named and/or divided equally between the actual band members. Does this reflect the true contribution of each member to each composition on the individual albums?
The list of “who did what” in his up-coming book will set things straight. Some “kings” will easily become “beggars” and the other way round.
Dear Edgar, I've been a fan of TD since Phaedra, and I want to assure you that no matter how hard you try, many of us know too well who was the king of Mellotron (actually it was you), who was the king of sequencer (actually it wasn't you), the king of synth solos (it wasn't you either).
You can write tons of pages about who composed what part, but the truth is that with Mr. Baumann parting we all corroborated too well what was his part in the band, as happened again with Mr. Franke's parting many years after that.
You can own Tangerine Dream trademark, you can write whatever you please but WE know the truth. Please continue making music. With each new record we are able to judge what your musical skills, compositions and sensibilities are, and they are not certainly the part that many of us loved from Tangerine Dream's music.

#44 Mr. Franke has called himself a founding member of TD, is this true?
If he really said that then it’s a lie. When Edgar founded TD in September 1967 Mr. Franke had just reached the age of 13. Can anybody imagine Edgar asking a 13 year-old boy to join the band?
Mr. Franke was a member of Tangerine Dream from the first official TD record and he remained a member for many years. His contribution to TD is beyond any doubt for TD lovers all around the world. I really don't care what was Mr. Froese doing in 1969, TD became world known from the release of Phaedra, and Mr. Franke and Mr. Baumann contribution to that sound was key.
The key of TD sound and success was the mixture (not always easy) of three great minds, personalities and sensibilities. You want to say that you composed 90% of Stratosfear or Sorcerer? Go ahead; I prefer to remember you as one of my three favorite's musicians.
Hi Angelus,

Fact is: Mr. Franke was NOT a founding member of TD and he did NOT record ELECTRONIC MEDITATION.
Without cutting down his contribution during his time with TD, the major force on sequencing after the mid seventies was
PETER BAUMANN. Peter got his first MOOG synth in November 1974 and used later his custom-built PE MODULAR synth for sequencing.
If you got musical ears - just listen!!

Regards,
Einstein's Barber (ADMIN)
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. ALBERT EINSTEIN
JD

Post by JD »

Unless you were really there and a witness to the every day process of making TDs albums, then its all speculation. If Franke had never always sat near his trademark Moog Modular then some people might not label him the "sequencer king". Its interesting to note the same people are always still waiting for Chris to prove this on his solo albums and scores too, and he never really does.
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
24db

Post by 24db »

JD wrote:Unless you were really there and a witness to the every day process of making TDs albums, then its all speculation. If Franke had never always sat near his trademark Moog Modular then some people might not label him the "sequencer king". Its interesting to note the same people are always still waiting for Chris to prove this on his solo albums and scores too, and he never really does.
Totally agree, the more photos of TD at this time you have, the more you'll notice that several TD members had sequencers and modulars (I have a couple of photos from H.Heinze of Projekt Elektronika of Baumann's synth...and there are lots of sequencers). By the time of the 1980 gigs, Edgar's and Johannes modulars were 'bigger' than Chris's, but it doesn't always fit in with a few fans idea what TD were or are. This is not to say that I know the facts on TD, or that my 'opinion' is more worthy than anybody elses. However I've been talking about re-appraising PB for some time, IMHO it's long over due. I'll also add this is not meant to belittle or lessen anybodys contribution within the band, it's just to see the band as a whole, rather than to tack on theories to a few preconceptions we might have.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

24db wrote:
JD wrote:Unless you were really there and a witness to the every day process of making TDs albums, then its all speculation. If Franke had never always sat near his trademark Moog Modular then some people might not label him the "sequencer king". Its interesting to note the same people are always still waiting for Chris to prove this on his solo albums and scores too, and he never really does.
Totally agree, the more photos of TD at this time you have, the more you'll notice that several TD members had sequencers and modulars (I have a couple of photos from H.Heinze of Projekt Elektronika of Baumann's synth...and there are lots of sequencers). By the time of the 1980 gigs, Edgar's and Johannes modulars were 'bigger' than Chris's, but it doesn't always fit in with a few fans idea what TD were or are. This is not to say that I know the facts on TD, or that my 'opinion' is more worthy than anybody elses. However I've been talking about re-appraising PB for some time, IMHO it's long over due. I'll also add this is not meant to belittle or lessen anybodys contribution within the band, it's just to see the band as a whole, rather than to tack on theories to a few preconceptions we might have.
Could it just be that CF was always in the centre stage, with "his" Modular synth behind him? I remember from the gig I saw them at, that he spent much time tuning (with headphones on), facing away from his keyboards. I also distinctly remember the flashing sequencer lights (as I now know them to be) were coming mainly from stage right (PB's station). This was Oct '75.

I'm not criticising CF for an instant, but perhaps he contributed more to the "tonality" side rather more than "just" the sequences......

I agree with many of you guys that TD was (is?) a GROUP thing, with Edgar perhaps at the tiller, steering the overall course. PB's leaving put them in a pickle for a short while, but they recovered..

Shame noone seems to know exactly what PB's doing these days. It would be great to have an interview discussing his days as a working musician.