TD's equipment

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: Old Skool Fan

Post by 24db »

UHF wrote:I think Live Miles is the album where TD start to sound distant to me. The sequencer takes over too much of the direction, stiff tempo and unremarkable drum programming. They almost don't sound like they're there. I do actually like Live Miles and Optical Race, but I'm afraid I'm an old school TD fan and for me 87/88 is pretty much the end.

Feel free to cheerfully flame!
Flame? certainly not, if you only liked one album, you're still a fan and your opinion is worth as much as anybody else's :)
It could be argued that sequencers at this time (87-88) didn't allow any improvisation, therefore that led to uninteresing compositions (I don't think it explains everything though). Unremarkable drum programming? hmmm yeah there's an element of truth in that, certainly some of the sounds are weak, but that's more down to the manufacturers...afterall you can only use whatever technology is infront of you, and TD's music has always been about change. At this point TD were programming from keyboards (as in playing stuff in, in real time and then quantising and cutting and pasting blocks of drums...perhaps that, and Chris leaving showed up their lack of drumming nounce...until Jerome and Iris joined). Optical Race was something completely different I agree, with music writen in a traditional way. I would like to point out that it was Chris that was pushing for a compositional sequencer as early as 1982, so as much as he was part of the solution he was part of the problem as well. If he felt TD had lost their fire, then he should have done something about it whilst in the group. Judging his sequencer stuff 'after' TD he never found it again.
24db

Post by 24db »

Short list of equipment ;)

TANGERINE DREAM BERLIN STUDIO INVENTORY (MAY 2000)
EDGAR FROESE’S WORKSPACE:
COMPUTER HARDWARE (MUSIC): Apple Macintosh G3 (400MHz, 128Mb RAM) • Iomega ZIP 100 • MotU 2048 MkII HD recording • Plextor Plexwriter 8/20 CDR/W • 40Gb HD unit (Seagate Barracuda) x2 • 18Gb HD unit x2

COMPUTER HARDWARE (SAMPLING): Echo Gina eight-channel audio interface • Pentium II PC (500MHz, 128Mb) x2 • 25Gb HD unit x2

COMPUTER HARDWARE (INTERNET): Acer ISDN modems • Apple Macintosh G3 (400MHz, 192Mb RAM) • Iomega ZIP 100

COMPUTER SOFTWARE (MUSIC): Steinberg Cubase VST/24 (with all available plug-ins)

COMPUTER SOFTWARE (SAMPLING): NemeSys GigaSampler v1.6 x2 – “We’re using NemeSys’ GigaSampler as our main sample library tool. The latest update especially is the best device for building a large library of samples that is swiftly accessible and easily overseeable. It also has the advantage of providing us with nearly unlimited storage space from whatever HD units we add.”

COMPUTER SOFTWARE (AUDIO TREATMENT): BIAS Peak 2.1 (digital editing and processing) • SFX Machine (multi-effects software plug-in)

COMPUTER MONITORS: EIZO F77 21-inch x2 • IIyama VM Pro 450 19-inch x3 • LCD Krystal View KV 15-inch TFT display x2

MIDI INTERFACE: Opcode Studio 5 LX

SAMPLER MODULES : Akai S2000 ‘jumper sampler’ x3 – “These are used to import sounds which, for one reason or another, have not yet been stored into the GigaSampler. They are a reliable part of our equipment, but rather old-fashioned because of their 32Mb storage limitation.”

SYNTHESIZER MODULES: Ensoniq SQR+ • Korg M1r • Kurzweil K2000R • Roland JV-1080 (with four expansion boards) • Roland JV-2080 (with six expansion boards)

KEYBOARDS: Korg T1 (master keyboard) • Korg Z1 • Roland JP-8000

OUTBOARD: Eventide H3000-S Harmonizer • Roland SDX-330 • TC Electronic M2000 • TDX (3D surround system)

HARDWARE MIXERS: Mackie 32:8:2 • Mackie CR1604

RECORDING: Alesis ADAT Type II (20-bit)

MONITORS: B&W CDM 7 Special Edition (‘System A’) • Monitor Audio UK (‘System B’)

HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD580 Precision

JEROME FROESE’S WORKSPACE:
COMPUTER HARDWARE (MUSIC): Apple Macintosh G3 (300MHz, 128Mb RAM) • Iomega JAZ drive – “Not recommended!” • MotU 2048 MkII HD recording • Plextor Plexwriter 8/20 CDR/W • 40Gb HD unit • 4.3Gb HD unit

COMPUTER HARDWARE (SAMPLING): Echo Gina eight-channel audio interface • Pentium II PC (450MHz, 256Mb) x2 • Pentium III PC (600MHz, 256Mb) • TEAC R58S CD writer • 40Gb HD unit x2

COMPUTER HARDWARE (INTERNET): Iomega ZIP 100 • Panasonic LF-D101 DVD RAM drive • Pentium III PC (600MHz, 256Mb) • Plextor Plexwriter 12/4/32 CDR/W • Zyxel ISDN modems • 20Mb HD unit x3

COMPUTER SOFTWARE (MUSIC): Steinberg Cubase VST/24 (with all available plug-ins)

COMPUTER SOFTWARE (SAMPLING): NemeSys GigaSampler v1.6 x2

COMPUTER SOFTWARE (AUDIO TREATMENT): BIAS Peak 2.1 (digital editing and processing) • SFX Machine (multi-effects software plug-in) • Adaptec Toast (CD recording software)

COMPUTER MONITORS: EIZO F77 21-inch • LCD Krystal View KV 15-inch TFT display • LCD Ilyama Pro Lite 36A 15-inch TFT display • Sony Multiscan G-500 21-inch • Sony Multiscan 17SF 17-inch

MIDI INTERFACE: Opcode Studio 5

SAMPLER MODULES: Akai S2000 ‘jumper sampler’ x2 • Roland VP-9000 – “Just added – not on photo!”

SYNTHESIZER MODULES: Alesis D4 Drum Expander • E-mu Morpheus • E-mu Orbit v2 • E-mu Planet Phatt • E-mu Proteus 2000 (expanded) • Ensoniq SQR+ • Korg M1r • Korg Wavestation A/D • Kurzweil K2000R • Roland D-550 • Roland JD-990 • Roland JV-880 • Roland JV-1080 (including four expansion boards) • Roland U-220 • Yamaha TG77 • Yamaha TX802 • Waldorf Microwave

KEYBOARDS: Roland D-70 (master keyboard) • Roland JP-8000

OUTBOARD: ADA Microcab II speaker simulator • Digitech GSP2101 Studio Tube (Ltd. Edition) • Ensoniq DP/4 • Lexicon PCM60 • TC Electronic D-Two Rhythm Delay

MASTERING: Anatek SR-7 • Behringer Denoiser Model 2000 • Behringer Edison • Behringer Ultrafex II • DQC System – “TD’s own mastering invention.”

HARDWARE MIXERS: Mackie CR1604 • Mackie LM3204 • Roland M-240R

RECORDING: Alesis ADAT Type II (20-bit) • Sony PCM2600 DAT with SBM • Tascam MD801 MiniDisc recorder • Yamaha CDR-1000 CD recorder (with Apogee UV22)

MONITORS: Tannoy System 600A Active

HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD560 Ovation II
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Sennheisers are decent headphones :arrow:

big-audiophile-moog
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:Sennheisers are decent headphones :arrow:

big-audiophile-moog
wot he said!

Wot it looks like:

Berlin 2000

Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:Sennheisers are decent headphones :arrow:

big-audiophile-moog
wot he said!

Wot it looks like:

Berlin 2000

That's what I envisaged the garage conversion looking like. Mrs. H had her own decorating ideas! :(
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

TD's home studio

Post by 24db »

...Light, bright, ergonomic and airy are expressions that immediately spring to mind when venturing into Edgar and Jerome’s new individual workspaces. As the accompanying photographs clearly testify, we’re not dealing with your everyday, run-of-the-mill studio here! The recording workspaces themselves are housed on separate floors within a radical four-floor building which in itself would not look out of place nestling in the Hollywood hills; its tasteful decor, featuring artefacts from around the globe, is undoubtedly a reflection of Edgar’s artistic roots and passion for travel. (In case you’re wondering, the Froese’s respective private living quarters occupy the remaining floors.) In reality, this desirable real estate is located in a plush German residential neighbourhood. That the once divisive Berlin Wall was only a stone’s throw away adds further still to its ambience.

“This place is ideal,” declares Edgar. “An architect originally designed and built it for himself and his company. He’s a computer freak and had already installed ISDN connections before we came and looked at the place. We gave him a few ideas about what could be done here and there during the final stages of finishing the building.”

Like all new studios, this was not without its fair share of teething troubles. As is his nature, Jerome’s recollections of what must have been a frustrating experience are light-hearted in hindsight: “I had some minor problems because the power supply to my studio space up in the roof here was not very reliable at first, so we called an electrician and he put in a new fuse – a red one; all the others are white. I said, ‘Why is this one red? Is it to do with the strength?’ He said, ‘Yes. Normally those fuses are used at bigger facilities, like Siemens, to power their machines!’ So now everything’s okay.”

Edgar, too, is happy with the result: “My new studio space has been set up in a completely modular fashion; I can take it apart and move it to another part of the building within a day, if I want. Both Jerome’s and my working spaces are networked together, so we can transfer data between floors. Sometimes we can work together without necessarily seeing each other. That’s quite interesting.”
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Doesn't it all look a bit soulless as a workspace?

I rather like KS's one, which is warmer in look with views (I think) over the garden...

B&W CDM7's eh? Best of that series IIRC but no ATC/PMC (Sorry, wrong thread.......)
24db

Post by 24db »

DSJR wrote:Doesn't it all look a bit soulless as a workspace?

I rather like KS's one, which is warmer in look with views (I think) over the garden...

B&W CDM7's eh? Best of that series IIRC but no ATC/PMC (Sorry, wrong thread.......)
if you look at Edgar's space you'd see it looks out over their garden
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

That'll be the nicotine stains on the wallpaper.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

24db wrote:

Can't really see...

Where does Vienna come into it? Is there another facility there?
24db

Post by 24db »

DSJR wrote:
24db wrote:

Can't really see...

Where does Vienna come into it? Is there another facility there?
Two Studios....the Berlin one is a multi-floor place, their Eastgate studio is in Vienna

The shot with the plant shows Edgar's workspace (or at least one corner...on the far left (oops I said right before) is their garden....Japanese styled with Dali sculptured Eggs)

I'm guessing the shot of Edgar with one of his pianos is in the same studio
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

A far cry from the two and a half room apartment they started with (and the huge white old removal van they shunted their gear around in...).
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

just caught a clip of bill bailey (on the comedy map TV show::BBC2)...playing keyboards on one of his stand ups....MS BM: oh no...not Tangerine Dream!?

:shock: :D
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

bigmoog wrote:just caught a clip of bill bailey (on the comedy map TV show::BBC2)...playing keyboards on one of his stand ups....MS BM: oh no...not Tangerine Dream!?

:shock: :D
And she was right! was it the BBC news clip?
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

yes the bbc news theme sketch...hilarious...... 8)