Frank van Olst, Netherlands
No votes
Gábor Gerényi, Hungary
No votes
Gerard McManus, Ireland
14%

Total votes: 14

Desert_Voyager
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Perhaps we ought to have another vote, as some people voted in more than one group, and for some unknown reason, most were not prepared to reveal which ONE photo they voted for of the three groups, and why.....

:!: :arrow:
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Desert_Voyager wrote:Perhaps we ought to have another vote, as some people voted in more than one group, and for some unknown reason, most were not prepared to reveal which ONE photo they voted for of the three groups, and why.....

I agree, this poll was very poorly organized, it should be done in ONE go, not in in three sections, this doesn't make a fair result, especially not since we can give up to three votes, and they have to made in three different groups, sorted alphabetically.
If it's a forum software thing (I really believe it is) the options should be more limited

As for revealing people's choices, that's up to them, I can't see why you're so interested in that. The idea of the poll, is that you can be anonymous...

To give us three options for each photographer, is another flaw in the poll, and only makes it unneccessarily harder for the organizers.

We should have been given not more than ten options for photographs, and they should be posted here, rather than the annoying Myspace :x
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Pertou wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:Perhaps we ought to have another vote, as some people voted in more than one group, and for some unknown reason, most were not prepared to reveal which ONE photo they voted for of the three groups, and why.....

I agree, this poll was very poorly organized, it should be done in ONE go, not in in three sections, this doesn't make a fair result, especially not since we can give up to three votes, and they have to made in three different groups, sorted alphabetically.
If it's a forum software thing (I really believe it is) the options should be more limited

As for revealing people's choices, that's up to them, I can't see why you're so interested in that. The idea of the poll, is that you can be anonymous...
I quote Einstein's Barber, "But now it's YOU who decide! W H O did T H E picture?? We listed all the names of the participants here - just V O T E for ONE person (or the only couple, but NOT for yourselves!) and it would be nice if you could make a short comment on the ONE photo you have chosen. Don't forget to refer to the NUMBER of the photo or insert the pic into your message!"

So, as this poll was meant to be open, and not anonymous, I wanted to know if forum members were voting for the best photo, rather than their family or friends. I can't see why you would not be interested in which forum members voted for which photo, and why?

Last edited by Desert_Voyager on Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Well I kept my vote private because I had the choice and that was mine. however I did vote for pogofish because I liked the photo the best, I dont know him or anything, I just liked the picture.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Desert_Voyager wrote:
Pertou wrote:

I quote Einstein's Barber, "But now it's YOU who decide! W H O did T H E picture?? We listed all the names of the participants here - just V O T E for ONE person (or the only couple, but NOT for yourselves!) and it would be nice if you could make a short comment on the ONE photo you have chosen. Don't forget to refer to the NUMBER of the photo or insert the pic into your message!"

So, as this poll was meant to be open, and not anonymous, I wanted to know if forum members were voting for the best photo, rather than their family or friends. I can't see why you would not be interested in which forum members voted for which photo, and why?

What I meant was that the idea of a poll, is that you can be anonymous... and I still think EB does a poorly run poll - if you can call it a poll.
Why I'm "not interested" in people telling what they voted for, is because I find it totally irrelevant in this context, because it seems to me, there will taken notice of the 'best comment' rather than what the majority thinks.
A poll should be simple, and there's to be only ONE vote per person!

And that's my opinion, feel free to have an opinion on it!

:D
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Desert_Voyager wrote:I wanted to know if forum members were voting for the best photo,
Strangely I didn't vote for the "best photo" but for the "best photo for the back of the DVD". It's a subtle difference. I think Andy's photo's are pretty damned good but because they are single figures rather than the whole band I didn't vote for them. I just feel it would be a little strange having a photo of just Bernhard on the back of the DVD. You could probably justify it if it was the photo of Edgar but I still feel it ought to be of the whole band.

....but that's just me.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Chris Monk wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:I wanted to know if forum members were voting for the best photo,
Strangely I didn't vote for the "best photo" but for the "best photo for the back of the DVD". It's a subtle difference. I think Andy's photo's are pretty damned good but because they are single figures rather than the whole band I didn't vote for them. I just feel it would be a little strange having a photo of just Bernhard on the back of the DVD. You could probably justify it if it was the photo of Edgar but I still feel it ought to be of the whole band.

....but that's just me.
good reasoning.
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Pertou wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:
Pertou wrote: I agree, this poll was very poorly organized, it should be done in ONE go, not in in three sections, this doesn't make a fair result, especially not since we can give up to three votes, and they have to made in three different groups, sorted alphabetically.

What I meant was that the idea of a poll, is that you can be anonymous... and still think EB does a poorly run poll - if you can call it a poll.
Why I'm "not interested" in people telling what they voted for, is because I find it totally irrelevant in this context, because it seems to me, there will taken notice of the 'best comment' rather than what the majority thinks.

I feel that there are pros and cons of knowing why people voted..... I feel the pros are stronger than the cons, seeing as the prizes are so good, and that there is room for bias in voting, so I am concerned that the best photo should win, as a result of a well run poll.

Last edited by Desert_Voyager on Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Pertou wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:
Pertou wrote: I agree, this poll was very poorly organized, it should be done in ONE go, not in in three sections, this doesn't make a fair result, especially not since we can give up to three votes, and they have to made in three different groups, sorted alphabetically.

What I meant was that the idea of a poll, is that you can be anonymous... and I still think EB does a poorly run poll - if you can call it a poll.

I agree on your opinion that its totally irrelivant,thats my opinion :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

We could give more than one vote, yes, but wouldn't that be like sabotaging your own favourite?

But I think this kind of situation points to a rather inflexible content management system (CMS). If they had a website they had full control over, it should be easy to run such a poll on their main website instead of using MySpace and this forum (and the phpBB forum software isn't meant for polls like this).
The problem with a custom-built website CMS is always that, if you want something changed, you have to contact the people who built it for you, and then each and every change is a question of paying a lot of money for the programmers and designers. If they'd use something like Joomla as a CMS, there are lots of free gallery- and poll-modules everywhere on the Internet and these modules could get integrated quickly... anyway, won't happen I suppose. Getting a custom-built website is always a mousetrap.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I think it would have been better to have three separate heats, where the choice begins wide, and is then gradually narrowed down.
IMHO of course.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
24db

Post by 24db »

I think...I think I'll read something else ;) Good photos through, don't mind who wins or has won good luck to them. Hope the DVD will be 'as good' as the cover