What percussion would be better on TD releases

Poll ended at Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:03 pm

Human
33%
Synthetic
67%

Total votes: 18

alipaul
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Drum/Electronic Vs Human Percussion

Post by alipaul »

Before we start this is not a gripe !!!

I just wondered what other fans opinions are

although i enjoyed the concert at the Astoria i felt i couldn't hear enough what Iris was adding to the tracks as i found the Electronic percussion a bit too loud.

I noticed that there isn't so much EP used in The Atomic season releases & JD'A and i quite enjoy this.

I feel that EP comes into it's own especially in the DM series

Do you think that EP is overly used ?
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Jollyhawker

Post by Jollyhawker »

Although I voted Human I feel a mix of both is the best!! The Electronic I feel acts as a Rhythmic background to their music! Iris and Thorston adds power to the whole set and I think the present band is their best incarnation to date - they are simply AWESOME!!!! :D
"Lives of great men all remind us that we may make our lives sublime and so departing leave behind us footprints in the sands of time"
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

TBH - my favourite TD rhythm sections have been sequencer led. I don't mind percussion, but I much prefer it when it is highly integrated with the music, rather than a mere overlay or accompaniment.

So, my vote is for neither!
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

I would love to have the synthetic percussion sounds used during the early-mid '80s incorporated into their music today.

I am definitely a nay-sayer of the live/accoustic percussive sounds used in the '90s and am HUGELY opposed to it being used during their live performances nowadays. Utterly useless eye candy - only there to give us something to look. Myself, I would be on Cloud 9 to simply see 3 geezers tucked behind their keyboard racks and nothing/no one else on stage. (But I can understand why TD are incorporating others into their live shows.)

IMHO, of course. :)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I think its obviously nigh on impossible to use human percussion 100% for this type of music,IMHO a mixture of both human and EP is great.....I like what Iris and Thorsten both add to the shows with their percussion..
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
JD

Post by JD »

for me it really depends who's playing. Klaus kreiger on drums really added something full of energy that enhanced the music, but Iris merely bangs around the instruments without much thought until she gets bored, stops without warning (often mid phrase) and takes up a different instrument regardless if it sounds right or not, and whether the music calls for it or not (need i mention Force Majeur bongos :shock: ) Somebody should point out that sometimes less really is more.

I also thought the acoustic drums didnt work in the DM series.

Electronic percussion will always work with TD music though.
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
Cyclone

Post by Cyclone »

Jollyhawker wrote:Although I voted Human I feel a mix of both is the best!!
I voted Synthetic, but I also feel the mix of both is the best!

The Drums in Bent Cold Sidewalk or Voxel Ux (only two examples) are very impressive. At the concerts drums and percussion (and electric guitars!!) are very well additions to perform the studio tracks live.
24db

Post by 24db »

I'm not hugely bothered who or what triggers a drum sound provided it fits with the music. Iris is an amazing musician, and if you think she just turns up and bashes thing randomly then you 'probably' have little appreciation of percussion or how much hard work goes into her preparation for a concert (so, I'd like her drums turned up please :D). However, I prefer electronic sounds for the most part (even though they tend to go out of date quicker than almost any sound in TD's arsenal).

Got to agree with the comments about DM4...those acoustic sounds are weedy. Btw Klaus had his chance in TD...twice! , so even though he's a solid/good drummer it's not much use to TD if he doesn't turn up.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

I too appreciate both. I prefer electronic percussion in TD music generally, but really enjoy Iris's and Thorsten's live performances.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
timer

Post by timer »

Being in a band with a Human Drummer, Id say you dont get as much grief using drum machines !. And you can program them to play what you want, instead of having a 25 minute redition of Moby none every half hour !.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Tell you what,i would'nt want to try an attempt at Moby D-ick every night,really thirsty work.........I really dont think anyone hit those skins as hard as Bonham did :arrow: some drummer 8)
Last edited by epsilon75 on Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timer

Post by timer »

Cant put none , on the forum ! as in Moby none ! see !
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

timer wrote:Cant put none , on the forum ! as in Moby none ! see !
Ive altered the above message Tim :wink:
timer

Post by timer »

Nice one mate !
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

I put synthetic, although the drums on Ricochet (human but treated) worked well for me.

I've never hugely raved over TD with drums, much preferring the more atmospheric sequencer material, although I do like DM3.....