PHAEDRA 35th ANNIVERSARY CONCERT REVIEW IN TODAY'S METRO

EDWEIRDO
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

PHAEDRA 35th ANNIVERSARY CONCERT REVIEW IN TODAY'S METRO

Post by EDWEIRDO »

Review by Kevin McCardle (2/5):

This disc contains work spanning Tangerine Dream's four decade career, not just their 1974 album Phaedra (no, I still haven't worked out why this is called a 35th anniversary). Phaedra is one of the earliest pieces of ambient electronic music and a Krautrock essential. Led by Edgar Froese, TD were towards the dreamier end of the Krautrock spectrum, and this concert film ceratinly tests the concentration with almost 3 hours of footage. Unfortunately, no amount of visual trickery can disguise the rather static gig set-up and the sound is muddy and harsh. Phaedra is one of the most influential albums in avant-garde rock and a live performance of it should be a real treat. This, alas, is a wasted opportunity.
ant

Post by ant »

:) Obviously the reviewer is not a 'real' ongoing fan as he should otherwise have been aware of the 'sound' problems that they had with this concert and should have explained that and said that we were very lucky to have got this excellent concert at all. IMHO. :)
Biggus Dickus
epsilon75

Re: PHAEDRA 35th ANNIVERSARY CONCERT REVIEW IN TODAY'S METRO

Post by epsilon75 »

EDWEIRDO wrote:Review by Kevin McCardle (2/5):

This disc contains work spanning Tangerine Dream's four decade career, not just their 1974 album Phaedra (no, I still haven't worked out why this is called a 35th anniversary). Phaedra is one of the earliest pieces of ambient electronic music and a Krautrock essential. Led by Edgar Froese, TD were towards the dreamier end of the Krautrock spectrum, and this concert film ceratinly tests the concentration with almost 3 hours of footage. Unfortunately, no amount of visual trickery can disguise the rather static gig set-up and the sound is muddy and harsh. Phaedra is one of the most influential albums in avant-garde rock and a live performance of it should be a real treat. This, alas, is a wasted opportunity.
:roll: :roll: :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

d'oh...another review I missed, one good point at least it kept the mistakes to the minimum
Schulze

Post by Schulze »

24db wrote:

d'oh...another review I missed, one good point at least it kept the mistakes to the minimum
I still can't work out in what way Phaedra falls into the Krautrock genre... :?
Be at one with the sequencing.....
24db

Post by 24db »

Schulze wrote:
24db wrote:

I still can't work out in what way Phaedra falls into the Krautrock genre... :?
I'm the same with Prog-rock ;) to be honest I think Krautrock fits it better (at least for the for the OHR albums)...Prog 'to me' means something completely different.

As far as TD being bundled into the Krautrock genre in the press...blame Ian MacDonald (don't bother though, the poor bloke commited suicide a few years back)

http://www.phinnweb.org/krautrock/articles/mcconnell/
http://www.phinnweb.org/krautrock/articles/mcconnell/2/
Last edited by 24db on Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

At least they got a full page review in DVD review (Summer 2007 Issue, page 137), albeit complete rubbish in places...I wish journalists would do a bit of research before writing reviews:

Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:At least they got a full page review in DVD review (Summer 2007 Issue, page 137), albeit complete rubbish in places...I wish journalists would do a bit of research before writing reviews:

Nice photo though, not seen that one before.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

BM reviews SBE 2005

awesome, memorable, great lighting, sublime music, more please
...The wise.....are silent.....
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

bigmoog wrote:BM reviews SBE 2005

awesome, memorable, great lighting, sublime music, more please

i agree apart for the last word on the end for me ............. missed it :cry:
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
ant

Post by ant »

:) SBE 'DVD Review' review has already been covered in the recordings section. :)
Biggus Dickus
boruncy

Post by boruncy »

Have just purchased this DVD but as yet to watch it.
Sounds like classic concert material?
Ode To Granny A
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

boruncy wrote:Have just purchased this DVD but as yet to watch it.
Sounds like classic concert material?
IMHO you will NOT be disappointed.........a great show on a truly memorable evening 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
boruncy

Post by boruncy »

Now that I have watched and listened to the DVD, my only regret was not being there in the first place. How could I miss a live TD concert?
I have to say the DVD blew me away and I had the volume on full with headphones on, late at night, early into the morning, longing for more when the DVD finally finished. :wink:

Must look out for the DVD review (Summer 2007 Issue, page 137), so that I can read what rubbish the critics came out with.
Ode To Granny A
24db

Post by 24db »

boruncy wrote:Now that I have watched and listened to the DVD, my only regret was not being there in the first place. How could I miss a live TD concert?
I have to say the DVD blew me away and I had the volume on full with headphones on, late at night, early into the morning, longing for more when the DVD finally finished. :wink:

Must look out for the DVD review (Summer 2007 Issue, page 137), so that I can read what rubbish the critics came out with.
what did you think of the sound quality?