Royal Albert Hall Concert

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

Peter Beasley wrote:I have the full version. I'll transcribe it when I have time.
Btw I have it listed as:

14.4.75: A recording of TD’s concert at the Royal Albert Hall is broadcast on Breakthrough Special, Radio London. 8.00-10.00PM (Monday) in Mono.
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

The following week they broadcast the second part of the interview followed by the concert's third piece.
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

Here is a transcription of the first part of the interview from BBC Radio London 'Breakthrough' programme, April 1975. The transcription Andy posted previously is actually the second part, which was broadcast the following week.

Mike Sparrow (programme presenter): And now to the moment we’ve all been waiting for, me especially in fact because it’s such an ambitious project, it quite blows my mind to even think about it. Tangerine Dream live at the Albert Hall. Steve Harvey is the man to entirely take credit for this, because he produced the session, recording actually at the Hall and was indeed the man completely responsible for dreaming up the mad scheme in the first place. Why Tangerine Dream, Steve?

Steve Harvey: Well I’ve always been a fan of Tangerine Dream and the chance to actually record it was something quite astounding. I rang up Virgin Records and said “Look, how about recording this Royal Albert Hall gig? And to my amazement they said “Yes”. Tangerine Dream because they’re a band I think you have to listen to at home, preferably in a darkened room with a nice quiet atmosphere around you, with very little distraction and I think they’re the perfect band to listen to ….. particularly if you’ve got a VHF receiver and can get a good, high quality reception.

Mike Sparrow: Yeah, shame of course it’s not stereo, because the Royal Albert Hall was quad wasn’t it, glorious quad.

Steve Harvey: Oh indeed. In fact we’ve got a stereo recording, but unfortunately we go out in mono. But all the same, I think it should be a very nice concert indeed.

Mike Sparrow: What about the actual recording. Can you tell us something about it?

Steve Harvey: Well this was done by the Broadcasting House O.B. engineers who normally work on Radio 3 and I think they were quite surprised in fact to work on a concert of this nature. They were a little dubious at first, but I’m glad to say that when they actually got down there and heard some of the music, they got very much into the spirit of things. And of course my grateful thanks to them, ‘Crootch’ and all the boys, who helped so much down at the Royal Albert Hall and of course without them, this recording wouldn’t be available.

But first, before the concert, a quick chat with the members of the band – Edgar, Chris and Mike – about the concert and a little about the music.

Tangerine Dream, welcome to London. You played the Royal Albert Hall a couple of weeks ago. What sort of feedback did you get from the audience? What kind of concert was it for you?

Edgar Froese: It was a very good one I think. Especially from the reactions of the audience.

Steve Harvey: Did you enjoy playing in the Royal Albert Hall?

Michael Hoenig: We enjoyed it very much, because the possibilities for quadraphonic sound were very good and we also like to play in places where the audience can sit down quite comfortably to relax and the seats in the Royal Albert Hall – they are quite comfortable. So everything was nicely set up. It was very nice to play in that place.

Steve Harvey: In general what do you find is the reaction of people in London when they come to a Tangerine Dream concert?

Edgar Froese: One thing I want to say is especially at the concert at the Albert Hall is we found out that we had an audience who came over to see ‘Tangerine Dream’…. and they have known a lot of things about the music. That’s the main point. They haven’t joined only one concert. Maybe a lot of them have listened to our music and know what we are doing.

Steve Harvey: Can we talk about the music now. Of course as anyone listening to Tangerine Dream must realize – it’s all improvised. So you have a concert, as you had at the Royal Albert Hall. How do you go about structuring what you’re going to play? Do you talk a lot before hand or is it all done on stage?

Edgar Froese: Not really. We don’t talk very much before a concert. We try to find a place somewhere around …the dressing room or whatever to relax, 15 minutes maybe, very quietly, so that we come to a very deep point, from which we can produce ourselves … produce the music in the same way. The main point in our music is that we have to know the personality of each other. That’s the main point and that’s our composition.

Steve Harvey: What about the instruments Michael? Because the instruments are slowly becoming more and more complicated. You’re surrounded on the stage by great banks and banks of very complex looking instruments. Edgar says it’s important to know other people in the group, but how important is it to know the limitations of your equipment, or in fact how much you can let equipment do, or how much you have to do?

Michael Hoenig: The basic thing of course for the music is that you can handle the instruments. Someone said ‘Aren’t you afraid of Technical Overkill?’ Well we are not at all afraid of that, because everything we use is under control and it grew up so slowly that we really know what we use and it looks much more complicated than it is for the musician to use it.

Steve Harvey: What stage have you reached now in your terms of your armoury of equipment…your number of instruments that you have?

Michael Hoenig: There are limits we know. But at the moment we use what we want to use and what we can use. Perhaps it’s still growing. Perhaps there are some other things coming, but at the moment we are using exactly that we want to use.

Edgar Froese: The only border we could have and we have sometimes .. it’s a barrier inside ourselves… it’s not the equipment or to handle with the equipment. It’s how to react to the answers we’ve got from the right, from the left or from the middle. That’s a problem and I think it’s the only problem we have.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Sparrow: Steve chatting there to the members of Tangerine Dream…Edgar, Chris and Mike. And now onto the concert (music starts)… for the last 40 minutes of ‘Breakthrough’. Steve, what was the atmosphere actually like?

Steve Harvey: Well the nicest thing at the Albert Hall infact was the low key aspect of the whole concert. The lighting was very low, mostly blues and reds just pointing on some of the instruments and faces of the group. And as well, the stage was covered with dense foliage…lots of trees and bushes…looked a bit like Epping Forest rather than the Albert Hall. Anyway for the next half an hour, forty minutes or so, sit back and listen to Tangerine Dream.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of notes: The 'Technical Overkill' accusation refered to by Michael Hoenig was levelled by the UK music paper 'New Musical Express'.

In part two of the interview, the line "So the ideal situation we want the audience to just concentrate", was spoken by Michael Hoenig.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

This is amazing stuff, thanks for all your hard work, Peter. 8)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Thanks for sharing this Peter,much appreciated 8) :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
TangFanIRL

Post by TangFanIRL »

epsilon75 wrote:Thanks for sharing this Peter,much appreciated 8) :D
Indeed. Great work Peter - thanks for sharing.
24db

Post by 24db »

Thanks for all your effort Peter, it's nice to see that we can piece together TD's history, even if the event happened 33 years ago
24db

Post by 24db »

This begs the question....who is Steve Harvey and where is he now? We owe the bloke some thanks I think :)
hansx

Post by hansx »

RAH 1975 is now playing on the background. What a terrific concert that was. I don't think we can expect something like that. Or should Edgar make a sort of Rubycon 2010 for this special occasion. Maybe he can also make a Ricochet 2010. was the same year after all. :)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

hansx wrote:RAH 1975 is now playing on the background. What a terrific concert that was. I don't think we can expect something like that. Or should Edgar make a sort of Rubycon 2010 for this special occasion. Maybe he can also make a Ricochet 2010. was the same year after all. :)
I very much hope EF has the time to treat us to a Rubycon 2010 CD,that would be very welcome by me :idea: 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
hansx

Post by hansx »

epsilon75 wrote:
hansx wrote:RAH 1975 is now playing on the background. What a terrific concert that was. I don't think we can expect something like that. Or should Edgar make a sort of Rubycon 2010 for this special occasion. Maybe he can also make a Ricochet 2010. was the same year after all. :)
I very much hope EF has the time to treat us to a Rubycon 2010 CD,that would be very welcome by me :idea: 8)
Me too, bought without any doubts. :)
24db

Post by 24db »

24db wrote:This begs the question....who is Steve Harvey and where is he now? We owe the bloke some thanks I think :)
vigil :)