BIGMOOG reviews a LEGENDARY DAY

bigmoog
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

BIGMOOG reviews a LEGENDARY DAY

Post by bigmoog »

Him as Bigmoog quickly remembers the event that is now a true legend

PART ONE : ARRIVAL

I get up rilly early and step over Ms BMs body-she had a special delivery from the postman so I wasn't 'appy......

so, getting into London and a lovely sunny dream ridden day, I headed to astoria to take a pic or two....and upload.....quick detour to Berwick street to sisterray to pick up some nutty odd music......then onto Fopp......gawd its a musical oasis that beats HMV/Virgin into the weeds.....bought some TD i already have......so what I think.....always good to have music you love

I get a call from Solly, who is still in court, trying to get bail....unfortunately he his sent to a maximum security fish and chip shoppe in Glasgow...to help serve the angry locals

I pop into Boots to buy a sarnie and some swarfega in case I need a scrub down......yer never know what one might pick up at a TD GIG

On my way up to the Grafton, I decided to have a row with the L.R. Hubbard emporium of crud....the scientology shoppe....cos as I walked past (yet again), some bright eyed lady...who looked very excited and er, jiggly......asked me 'are you suffering from stress?'.....I replied that as I had only just landed on Earth and had already had a parking ticket, so yes I was effing stressed.....I then showed her my Tom Cruise and she ran off screaming into the Dianetic's corner of thee con job shop.

Ok, I arrive at the Grafton, not been here before...usually I sleep rough at the bottom of centre point so this was way better. The check in went without a hitch....but signing in as BigMoog caused some raised eyebrows.....the concierge asked to see ID, so I whipped out me voltage controlled oscillator which he confirmed was deffo vintage 1974 as it looked hardened with age

Get to my room and prepared for the fan meeting, I check the MG CDs (which I had to clean down in case of any polonium residue from my re entry) and head out........As I walk towards the JH.....I begin to get nervous.....

PART two follows soonish.....once I have listened to the limited CD again...cos its marvellous
...The wise.....are silent.....
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Part Two...briefly

The Pre Gig Fan Meet

I arrive around 2.30pm.......strolling in I notice a crowd over in the corner...so I walk up...'you must be tangerine dream fans?...'.....yes is the very guarded reply....I immediately clock BTF....great......he introduces me....aha..now its different....the look on their faces I will cherish forever....I feel great.....so I hand out a few CDs......

the next few hours is superb.....lots of chat with fellow fans.....

no sign of Colin as yet....

then.......across the pub......for me a wonderful moment as Colin walks in and amazingly recognises me......the look on his face.......a superb event.... and then he shows me his ring.....

soon all the MG cd's have gone.......

so thanks to all I met (and sorry If I have left you off)...I will use forum names here:

Billy the Fish (try and give up smoking mate.......if you do I might.....)
Redziller....always a pleasure to chat with you as well
Alipaul: good to meet yer
Taximan431: that fish n chip nosh up looked superb
ConradG: the irish contingent had great T shirts!
Wayfarer: dont forget the Trees!!
SequenceC (Ben): Nurse With Wound are awesome
24db : cheers Andy
Fozziebear : hope you got home ok.....
Raystorm: I forgot to buy a badge for myself
IanC: cheers!
Wolfman : CD on its way!
Edweirdo and Mac : where did you disapear to?(at the astoria....)
the two Heiko's : respect!
Janus and Ma: great CD mate and yer ma is a legend
Timer and Carmen: the malt, the malt.......BM passes out...whadda lightweight...ta for CDs!
Batman: Theo, it wasa delight to see you and thanks for the gifts!
Hobo: fopp is now saved from liquidation.......great to meet you Mick
HyperboreaUK: cheers geezer

I cant remember who else....but thanks to all

etcetc

we all then stroll down to the ass toria........

24db

Post by 24db »

Good stuff mate...more soon I hope!
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

When do we get part three BM :wink: :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

im writing part 3, but am consulting with my lawyers so I dont inflame the flamers at tadreamyaaaaaaahooooooooooooooooo :P
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Great read BM - keep it coming!
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

The GiG : MFD set -warning writing parts of this has made me angry

first up the BM was frisked...luckily they didn't find my dat tape recorder...then we piled up to the merch stall.....which must have been 10 deep....no chance, so we got the beers in.....I decided that we couldn't afford to miss the Limited CD, so with 15 mins to the show I joined the q........thus i managed to get 4 copies of SWSIS and 3 badges, 1 cd for me and the others for the fans with me......If I'd remembered that I had 600 quid in readies I would have bought the signed vinyl copy of The Keep they had under the counter.

any way, we then absconded to the front of the stage....I was on the left near the PA, 3 behind the welsh mosh pit contingent (not sure I have ever seen a TD fan moshing.....but we nearly had this during the second set)....so I had an excellent view.....I reckon all told the venue held around 1000.....so not over packed but way good enough considering the p poor promotion and the claggy venue.....now there were some sounds emanating from the PA...and I must admit I was getting nervous and excited....what are we about to witness.....

any way, curtains draw back.....the plasmas...the kit...y'know the score....here they come.....a big big cheer.....Edgars over on the right...starts the harmonica...and we are off.

SIRIUS BIT (with a little bit of anger chucked in) as cleared by EE EFF, CEE EFF AND PEE BEE, Virgine Records corporate Lawyers :

Madcap's begins.....with Chris centre stage, looking cool and dapper in a nice white frilled shirt and black jacket.....Edgar sits behind his keyboards.....thorsten to the right...with Linda up left, drum kit centre and Iris over top right.........both looking fabulous and confident and er, sexy

The music......the music.....im not going to hide from the fact that from the first moment....MFD was being played via files.....but so effing what I thought (and before I get put on the tadreamyahoo BBQ coals....TD have been been playing various forms of 'preset' music since 1970...ish..in fact if TD had played Electronic Meditation alive back in 70-71....it would have to have been from tape....and EF and gang would have had to do Marcel Marcaux-and when I last saw Kraftwerk..it sure werent coming from living breathing on the stage real time fingers on the keyboards virtuosity), I was really getting into the music.....I know this album inside out.....and outside in......there were some extra musical touches not on the CD as well as Chris's vocals which deviated from the Studio.....Chris kept me interested as I found myself watching him closely...so I missed some of the backdrop visuals....the overall sound during the MFD section was for me not loud enough, nor could I hear some of the subtleties in Ponchartrain........

Very Sirius Bit:

As the last track of the MFD set drew to a close.....some geezer came up next to me to heckle (...and I didnt bother to look over my shoulder.....although Raystorm who was standing next to me clocked him I think.....)...and this is what he heckled (I have checked with my real lawyer and this is not libellous) :

....'plays fantastically, plays fantastically, Edgar, its plays fantastically, plays fantastically, I have paid money......' or words to that effect....I just ignored him and looked straight ahead......embarrassing for me as I like to feel immersed in the music......whether coming off a hardrive, game boy, PS3....comb and paper or paper cup and string...effer.....I wish I had said something to the heckler....something like : 'jackass, jackass, BM has paid money as well.....now FUCHE OFF and let me enjoy the gig'.....shitre I will continue later

Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

bigmoog wrote:....'plays fantastically, plays fantastically, Edgar, its plays fantastically, plays fantastically, I have paid money......' or words to that effect....
Glad I didn't hear that, it would have made my blood boil. Fortunately I was in an area where everyone seemed mesmerised by the show. They hardly moved at all during the show but where rapturous with their applause.

PS Good review so far BM.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Chris Monk wrote:
bigmoog wrote:....'plays fantastically, plays fantastically, Edgar, its plays fantastically, plays fantastically, I have paid money......' or words to that effect....
Glad I didn't hear that, it would have made my blood boil. Fortunately I was in an area where everyone seemed mesmerised by the show. They hardly moved at all during the show but where rapturous with their applause.

I didn't hear this either, but every fan should know what to expect by now. IMO, if you don't like it, stay away and let the rest of us enjoy it.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Post by 24db »

Great review mate, I should add if you don't like a gig and feel you're being ripped off (and I vaguely remember that 'fan' might have been from Germany), then you have every right to be angry...however annoying other fans during the gig isn't on, best to just leave and take it out with Edgar another time.
So far I've read 3 really irate reviews or comments, which have gone totally OTT, (not passing Go, but going straight into flamewars....why spend all that time pretending to get on...Fight!!!!)*. Hovever 95% of the hall seemed to really enjoy themselves, and largely seemed tollerant to the odd cat call or daft remark (I must apologise :D ;)).

*btw how the heck did 60 or 70 TD fans get through the night without a fight? amazing :D
Last edited by 24db on Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Hobo wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:

I didn't hear this either, but every fan should know what to expect by now. IMO, if you don't like it, stay away and let the rest of us enjoy it.

Spot on Mick,i would not have wanted to hear those comments either :roll: :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

incidentally when I went to see Nurse With Wound recently at south bank, thee vast majority of thee music came off a hard drive....but only the sewing machine and umbrella complained...cos they aint got ears or eyes or intelligence.....er, oh yes thay have got intelligence cos they dont incinerate each other with blind bile ridden spleen........

Im gearing up for part 4 which may well be the best thing I have ever wrote :arrow: about the very greatest TD gig i have witnessed since the last greatest TD gig i witnessed
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

I confess, I was pretty much oblivious to anything bar TD and the few friends around me during the gig. I waited impatiently for 20/4 to arrive and the excitement and anticipation was such, that nothing was going to spoil it for me. Not everything was perfect, but I don't pay my money in order to nitpick. I enjoyed every second of the performance and the pre and post gig drinks. TD still rule! (and their fans are the best). :D
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Hobo wrote:I confess, I was pretty much oblivious to anything bar TD and the few friends around me during the gig. I waited impatiently for 20/4 to arrive and the excitement and anticipation was such, that nothing was going to spoil it for me. Not everything was perfect, but I don't pay my money in order to nitpick. I enjoyed every second of the performance and the pre and post gig drinks. TD still rule! (and their fans are the best). :D
That's pretty much my take on things. I was out to have a good time and there wasn't anything going to stop me. Good concerts are few and far between so I was going to make the most of it.
planetdalek

Post by planetdalek »

Glad I didn't hear it because I may have lumped him. I was in the middle in front of Chris. He definately was not <my - ming> because a few notes were a bit flat. Also, Ponchartrain was nothing like the album version.

The drums did appear to have mufflers on the top hats and cymbals though, but they may well have been A>D pickups/converters.

It was a great gig, so I don't effing care :)