Los Angeles 1995 / London 1996

PurpleTwilight
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Los Angeles 1995 / London 1996

Post by PurpleTwilight »

Just a few questions out of curiosity.

I heard a recording of the 1995 show a while back, or at least I think I did. Most of the set sounded like it could've been straight off a studio tape, especially since the guitar parts were exactly the same. I seem to recall that only the last song ("Touchwood", if I recall correctly) sounded partially live, since Milan Polak was actually playing lead over it. Also, all the setlists show that 'Birdwatchers Dream' was played, but I distinctly remember hearing 'Living In A Fountain Pen' instead. Any thoughts on whether this recording I heard was genuine or not?

I haven't heard a recording of the 1996 concert, and sadly, I probably never will. Did anyone here attend this show? I'd love to know which guitarist played what (since both Gerald and Mark were there). How about on 'Firetongues'?
Cyclone

Re: Los Angeles 1995 / London 1996

Post by Cyclone »

PurpleTwilight wrote:Just a few questions out of curiosity.

I heard a recording of the 1995 show a while back, or at least I think I did. Most of the set sounded like it could've been straight off a studio tape, especially since the guitar parts were exactly the same. I seem to recall that only the last song ("Touchwood", if I recall correctly) sounded partially live, since Milan Polak was actually playing lead over it. Also, all the setlists show that 'Birdwatchers Dream' was played, but I distinctly remember hearing 'Living In A Fountain Pen' instead. Any thoughts on whether this recording I heard was genuine or not?

I haven't heard a recording of the 1996 concert, and sadly, I probably never will. Did anyone here attend this show? I'd love to know which guitarist played what (since both Gerald and Mark were there). How about on 'Firetongues'?
Voices in the Net is your friend :wink:
L.A. 1995 | London 1996 (1) | London 1996 (2)
Last edited by Cyclone on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleTwilight

Post by PurpleTwilight »

Uh, thanks, but I frequent those pages all the time. I just hope that some of you have the shows and would help me out with them.
24db

Re: Los Angeles 1995 / London 1996

Post by 24db »

Last edited by 24db on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
r4man

Post by r4man »

For full info on the SIR show click this address:

http://marspolaris.tripod.com/sir_theater.html

Al was there (so was I)
PurpleTwilight

Post by PurpleTwilight »

@r4man
Thanks for the info. It conformed my suspicions that Voices In The Net was incorrect about TD playing 'Birdwatcher's Dream' at the 1995 gig. I knew I was clearly hearing 'Living In A Fountain Pen'!

@24db
Alright, I listened to snippets of the 1995 show again, and what you said may well be true. But I'm pretty darn sure that they played back Gerald Gradwohl's studio guitar solos from ToB, since Milan clearly wasn't responsible for them. Milan's own playing can best be heard on the last song, 'Touchwood'.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

PurpleTwilight wrote:@24db
Alright, I listened to snippets of the 1995 show again, and what you said may well be true. But I'm pretty darn sure that they played back Gerald Gradwohl's studio guitar solos from ToB, since Milan clearly wasn't responsible for them. Milan's own playing can best be heard on the last song, 'Touchwood'.
I've communicated with Milan Polak on several occasions about the show, I even gave him a copy of the Tree version, and he definitely played the guitar on the night. Milan is a very talented guitarist, it wouldn't be any trouble at all for him to copy Gerald's guitar lines.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
PurpleTwilight

Post by PurpleTwilight »

I can hardly believe it. I'm not sure how he could have gotten the parts (and the tone!) perfect in one shot, since even ZP couldn't do that 100% of the time. My ears hear no variations whatsoever (unless I happened upon a false recording). I guess I'll have to take your word for it.
Whoopysnorp

Post by Whoopysnorp »

r4man wrote:For full info on the SIR show click this address:

http://marspolaris.tripod.com/sir_theater.html

Al was there (so was I)
You mean Al B. from Berkeley? He gave me a couple of rare 1st gen. tapes which I included in the Tree series, like Brussels Nov. 1976 or Tokyo 1983, and also the L.A. 1995 show. He's a great guy, too bad we haven't had the chance to meet each other during those days.