Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on Performances
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:16 pm
Posts: 50
Just a few questions out of curiosity.

I heard a recording of the 1995 show a while back, or at least I think I did. Most of the set sounded like it could've been straight off a studio tape, especially since the guitar parts were exactly the same. I seem to recall that only the last song ("Touchwood", if I recall correctly) sounded partially live, since Milan Polak was actually playing lead over it. Also, all the setlists show that 'Birdwatchers Dream' was played, but I distinctly remember hearing 'Living In A Fountain Pen' instead. Any thoughts on whether this recording I heard was genuine or not?

I haven't heard a recording of the 1996 concert, and sadly, I probably never will. Did anyone here attend this show? I'd love to know which guitarist played what (since both Gerald and Mark were there). How about on 'Firetongues'?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:05 pm
Posts: 412
Location: Germany
PurpleTwilight wrote:
Just a few questions out of curiosity.

I heard a recording of the 1995 show a while back, or at least I think I did. Most of the set sounded like it could've been straight off a studio tape, especially since the guitar parts were exactly the same. I seem to recall that only the last song ("Touchwood", if I recall correctly) sounded partially live, since Milan Polak was actually playing lead over it. Also, all the setlists show that 'Birdwatchers Dream' was played, but I distinctly remember hearing 'Living In A Fountain Pen' instead. Any thoughts on whether this recording I heard was genuine or not?

I haven't heard a recording of the 1996 concert, and sadly, I probably never will. Did anyone here attend this show? I'd love to know which guitarist played what (since both Gerald and Mark were there). How about on 'Firetongues'?

Voices in the Net is your friend :wink:
L.A. 1995 | London 1996 (1) | London 1996 (2)

_________________
Image


Last edited by Cyclone on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:16 pm
Posts: 50
Uh, thanks, but I frequent those pages all the time. I just hope that some of you have the shows and would help me out with them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
...


Last edited by 24db on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:58 am
Posts: 91
For full info on the SIR show click this address:

http://marspolaris.tripod.com/sir_theater.html

Al was there (so was I)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:16 pm
Posts: 50
@r4man
Thanks for the info. It conformed my suspicions that Voices In The Net was incorrect about TD playing 'Birdwatcher's Dream' at the 1995 gig. I knew I was clearly hearing 'Living In A Fountain Pen'!

@24db
Alright, I listened to snippets of the 1995 show again, and what you said may well be true. But I'm pretty darn sure that they played back Gerald Gradwohl's studio guitar solos from ToB, since Milan clearly wasn't responsible for them. Milan's own playing can best be heard on the last song, 'Touchwood'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 7797
Location: Bristol, Uk
PurpleTwilight wrote:
@24db
Alright, I listened to snippets of the 1995 show again, and what you said may well be true. But I'm pretty darn sure that they played back Gerald Gradwohl's studio guitar solos from ToB, since Milan clearly wasn't responsible for them. Milan's own playing can best be heard on the last song, 'Touchwood'.

I've communicated with Milan Polak on several occasions about the show, I even gave him a copy of the Tree version, and he definitely played the guitar on the night. Milan is a very talented guitarist, it wouldn't be any trouble at all for him to copy Gerald's guitar lines.

_________________
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:16 pm
Posts: 50
I can hardly believe it. I'm not sure how he could have gotten the parts (and the tone!) perfect in one shot, since even ZP couldn't do that 100% of the time. My ears hear no variations whatsoever (unless I happened upon a false recording). I guess I'll have to take your word for it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:29 am
Posts: 37
Location: Hamburg, Germany
r4man wrote:
For full info on the SIR show click this address:

http://marspolaris.tripod.com/sir_theater.html

Al was there (so was I)


You mean Al B. from Berkeley? He gave me a couple of rare 1st gen. tapes which I included in the Tree series, like Brussels Nov. 1976 or Tokyo 1983, and also the L.A. 1995 show. He's a great guy, too bad we haven't had the chance to meet each other during those days.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on Performances All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage