Should Iris be given a drumming solo spot?

Should Iris be given a drumming solo spot?

Yes. I love drumming and all drumming related activities.
52%
No. Do me a favour.
38%
Yes. It'll give me a chance to go to the loo/bar.
10%

Total votes: 21

TheMan
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: Should Iris be given a drumming solo spot?

Post by TheMan »

Chris Monk wrote:I was watching the Forum DVD again the other day and was, as I was on the night, mesmerised by Iris' drumming. The thought crossed my mind that Iris has never, as far as I know, been given a solo spot. So the question is should she.

Personally I'm not normally a fan of drumming. I've only seen one or two solos over the years that I actually enjoyed (Neil Peart springs to mind) but I'd be interested to see what Iris would bring to it.

Didn't Emil Hachfeld have a bit of a solo spot at the start of the 1997 tour?
On the flip side, I think there should be 1 or 2 numbers where she sits out...takes a breather.
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

Peter Beasley wrote:
tdream4ever wrote:A TD show should be a electronic/ambient concert. Not a pop/rock concert!
Ooooh! You could've started quite a debate now! Actually, I think you'll find drum solos are more akin to jazz than pop/rock.
I agree on the drum solo in jazz concerts. But most concerts I've been to(and I went to 14 last year and 12 the year before) almost every group has to have a drum solo. Its probably to give the rest of the members a short break. But I dont go to concerts to see a drummer do solos. I like to hear them play their latest release and some old classics. To see a master drummer like Neil Peirt doing a 10-15 minute drum solo is something to see. He's one of the few that can pull it off without most peaople getting bored. Although TD is still considered electronic music, they sometimes sound pop/ambient or ambient/pop. I dont think a short drum solo is appropiate at a TD show.
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
aaronmcphee

Post by aaronmcphee »

TheMan wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:I was watching the Forum DVD again the other day and was, as I was on the night, mesmerised by Iris' drumming. The thought crossed my mind that Iris has never, as far as I know, been given a solo spot. So the question is should she.

Personally I'm not normally a fan of drumming. I've only seen one or two solos over the years that I actually enjoyed (Neil Peart springs to mind) but I'd be interested to see what Iris would bring to it.

On the flip side, I think there should be 1 or 2 numbers where she sits out...takes a breather.
In an ideal scenario, Iris would be sat behind a regular kit as apposed to the mass of percussion instuments she sports at the moment, so many of TD's tracks deserve a good regular kit without having so much "decorative" percussion layered over pre-recorded drum tracks, IMHO of course...I wonder, can she play a regular drum arrangement??
Tiger Tiger burning bright....Bruce! throw another shrimp on!
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

aaronmcphee wrote:
TheMan wrote:

In an ideal scenario, Iris would be sat behind a regular kit as apposed to the mass of percussion instuments she sports at the moment, so many of TD's tracks deserve a good regular kit without having so much "decorative" percussion layered over pre-recorded drum tracks, IMHO of course...I wonder, can she play a regular drum arrangement??
The only snag with a regular drum kit & TD wouldn't that make them sound like any other synth band on MTV
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache