Piano

Do you think that the piano is an underused instrument in TD's Arsenal of Instruments

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 32

timer
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by timer »

ant wrote::? Krismopompas how can you not like Edgar's guitar playing - he is just brilliant!! As much as I enjoy Bernhard's playing (and he is very very good) I am afraid that to me he is not a patch on the big man himself. As soon as Edgar strikes the first chord I get goose bumps every time. He is to me one of the best guitarist's I've heard and is certainly well and truly in my top five ever. He is a guitar legend in my mind and I just wish he would play more during the concerts. His solo on Hamlet in the Epsilon Journey gig is just awesome - I can't get enough of it. All hail the Edgar guitar!! :lol:
Well put Ant ! 8)

Ricochet / Coldwater Canyon / Green Desert / Pergammon prt2 / Hamlet all fabulous guitar work by the main man .
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

timer wrote:
ant wrote::? Krismopompas how can you not like Edgar's guitar playing - he is just brilliant!! As much as I enjoy Bernhard's playing (and he is very very good) I am afraid that to me he is not a patch on the big man himself. As soon as Edgar strikes the first chord I get goose bumps every time. He is to me one of the best guitarist's I've heard and is certainly well and truly in my top five ever. He is a guitar legend in my mind and I just wish he would play more during the concerts. His solo on Hamlet in the Epsilon Journey gig is just awesome - I can't get enough of it. All hail the Edgar guitar!! :lol:
Well put Ant ! 8)

Ricochet / Coldwater Canyon / Green Desert / Pergammon prt2 / Hamlet all fabulous guitar work by the main man .
Force Majeure,Cloudburst Flight,Challengers Arrival to name but a few....superb 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
GAZZ

Post by GAZZ »

the piano is not used as much as i would like it to be ,but if you listen to old material by td it has been used a real lot over the years. my favourite piano parts by td are the opening 6 mins or so on pergamon and haslingers piano solo on antarktis, awesome. and i think that when it comes down to guitar in td bernhard is awesome but the man of the axe is without doubt mr froese. when i was talkin to them on saturday bernhard told me that his guitar teacher was none other than gerald gradwohl [what a teacher] edgar also told me that td are currently working on the white eagle remix definatley something to look foward to :roll: :roll: TD yorkshire division
boruncy

Post by boruncy »

Would love to hear more piano and as GAZZ states the opening 6 mins or so on pergamon and haslingers piano solo on antarktis are just brilliant. So in agreement there my friend! :wink: [/quote]
Ode To Granny A
hansx

Post by hansx »

boruncy wrote:Would love to hear more piano and as GAZZ states the opening 6 mins or so on pergamon and haslingers piano solo on antarktis are just brilliant. So in agreement there my friend! :wink:
[/quote]

Those are my most favourite things of TD. So. piano??? No problem at all.
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

I like it when the piano pieces develop into something bigger. . . Like Song Of The Whale part two, Ricochet Part two etc.
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:I like it when the piano pieces develop into something bigger. . . Like Song Of The Whale part two, Ricochet Part two etc.
sorry, i know we were talking piano here but Edgars guitar playing popped up too. He is without doubt, one of, if not the best guitar player...as well as the tracks mentioned here, if you hear the solo from the Live In East Berlin aka Pergamon...but not the 'edited' version, the one from White Cloths...incredible. Theres also some italian show ive heard from 81 with an amazing solo that finishes in a true rock style! Dont think its ever been released officially. Hamlet is one of my favorites because it sounds very mid 70s. I also remembering hearing Coldwater Canyon for the first time...how does he do that? Is that Hendrix? Credit once more to Bernard for absolutly nailing the solo from Cloudburst Flight. Spot on lad, spot on!
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

oooh and not forgetting the fabulous Talking To Maddox!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

epsilon75 wrote:
timer wrote:
Well put Ant ! 8)

Force Majeure,Cloudburst Flight,Challengers Arrival to name but a few....superb 8)
I have this arguement all the time with my brother. Whilst I agree with him that EF doesn't have the chops of many of todays guitarists he does play with far more flair and passion than most. He has a style all of his own, when he plays you just know it's him and I don't know anyone who gets anywhere near sounding like him. I guess it's down to whether you want a series of notes strung together or something that's going to move you or inspire you.
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
timer wrote: Well put Ant ! 8)

I have this arguement all the time with my brother. Whilst I agree with him that EF doesn't have the chops of many of todays guitarists he does play with far more flair and passion than most. He has a style all of his own, when he plays you just know it's him and I don't know anyone who gets anywhere near sounding like him. I guess it's down to whether you want a series of notes strung together or something that's going to move you or inspire you.
I once said this to TD's manager, 'Whilst Edgar might not have the most perfect technique his style fits perfectly with TD's music, it loosens it up and brings out the emotion'

he agreed ;)
nightmare strand

Post by nightmare strand »

I asked Thorsten why he didn't play more improvised live piano. He basically said we would have to ask the Gaffer that one, but he had no objections to satisfying our cravings for such endevours. I remember Colin trying to champion this cause as well as we felt cheated at not hearing that amazing piano into on Purple Diluvial that evening, or was that NS been star struck at being in the presence of a TD Forum member. Anyway, if we want to here more, lobbying the Gaffer on this Forum might be an appropriate starting point - then again, maybe not!
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:I like it when the piano pieces develop into something bigger. . . Like Song Of The Whale part two, Ricochet Part two etc.

This is why i would like abit more please
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
redziller

Post by redziller »

I enjoy the acoustic piano where we have it and , like Darren, think it's a grounding instrument. Not too keen on a synthetic one where too exact quantization can make the "piano" sound more artificial than the synths
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
TangFanIRL

Post by TangFanIRL »

bigmoog wrote:Piano?

only if its prepared

BM says so :P
As in 'here's one we prepared earlier'???
;-)

CG
Nero

Post by Nero »

I feel the same, ant, I also get goose bumps when Edgar strikes the first chord - he has a very individual warm and emotional sound without overdoing things, I simply love his playing!
It's always a special moment when Edgar starts playing I wouldn't miss that. Concerning the Hamlet track on Epsilon Journey it's an absolutely highlight of the whole concert!
I think it's not only the way of how you transfer your technical skills on guitar, but what counts most is the translation of an individual personality onto your guitar - Edgar definitely has this kind of expression!