Munich concert, April 1975

Peter Beasley
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Munich concert, April 1975

Post by Peter Beasley »

TD performed in Munich on 25th April 1975. Does anyone know if this marked Peter Baumann's return or was Michael Hoenig still in?
jacob

Post by jacob »

That's a good question as it was the only show (that I know of) performed between the RAH concert (with Hoenig) 2nd april and the Orange Festiva (with Baumann) in August. As it's closer to the RAH concert, I can not rule out your theory. Unfortunately a concert recording doesn't exist.
Jacob's Tangerine Dream Blog
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/
24db

Re: Munich concert, April 1975

Post by 24db »

Peter Beasley wrote:TD performed in Munich on 25th April 1975. Does anyone know if this marked Peter Baumann's return or was Michael Hoenig still in?
seem to remember that Michael only performed with the group at the RAH and Australian Tour...I'll check for you next week though
24db

Post by 24db »

As Charles pointed out (when I posted a link to a French article from 1975) Peter Baumann attended the RAH concert in 1975 (either backstage or in the audience), so it's quite possible that the Royal Albert Hall concert was Michael's very last appearance with TD and that Peter re-joined not long after that and played at the St Benno Kirche in Munich on Friday April 25th (There's a famous shot of Chris Franke pklaying in front of the Alter...should be on my blog somewhere)
timer

Post by timer »

24db wrote:As Charles pointed out (when I posted a link to a French article from 1975) Peter Baumann attended the RAH concert in 1975 (either backstage or in the audience), so it's quite possible that the Royal Albert Hall concert was Michael's very last appearance with TD and that Peter re-joined not long after that and played at the St Benno Kirche in Munich on Friday April 25th (There's a famous shot of Chris Franke pklaying in front of the Alter...should be on my blog somewhere)
What a strange situation !

To go and see the band you are in from the Audience perspective, with some one else filling your space.
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

When Michael Hoenig joined the band there was no indication in the press that he was only a temporary replacement.

Not only was Peter Baumann present at the Royal Albert Hall gig, but he was also present in the same hotel as the band when they gave press and radio interviews a few days later. was he fishing to get his place back or invited?

If Hoenig was only ever intended to be a temporary member and seemingly about to be jetisoned, I find it surprising that he was allowed to take part and contribute so much in the post-RAH gig interviews.

Furthermore, he'd just made a major contribution to a concert regarded by critics and fans alike as one of TDs most brilliant successes, which would make his dismissal for musical reasons seem an odd one.

I know the view of critic Karl Dallas that Hoenig's style tended to overbalance the band on rhythm at the expense of melody, but it's not a view I share, especially when you consider that TD went on to release probably their most polyrhythmic album (Ricochet) later that year.