Photography at the Eindhoven gig

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

billythefish wrote:
24db wrote:
billythefish wrote:Thanks for clarifying! Looking forward to it immensely. :D
Nikon Vs Canon then mate ;)
Tee hee! Next problem is which lens to hook up...
50mm 1.8mm
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

24db wrote:
billythefish wrote:
24db wrote: Nikon Vs Canon then mate ;)
Tee hee! Next problem is which lens to hook up...
50mm 1.8mm
Is that what you used at Tempodrom? If so, did it matter having the fixed length? (I have a F1.4 50mm as an option....)
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

billythefish wrote:
24db wrote:
billythefish wrote: Tee hee! Next problem is which lens to hook up...
50mm 1.8mm
Is that what you used at Tempodrom? If so, did it matter having the fixed length? (I have a F1.4 50mm as an option....)
Used to use one of those many years ago in concerts (ISO 400) and found it more than adequate..... you just have to learn to live with out the zoom.
24db

Post by 24db »

billythefish wrote:
24db wrote:
billythefish wrote: Tee hee! Next problem is which lens to hook up...
50mm 1.8mm
it was at the Alte Oper mate. Yeah, a 50mm is ideal, afterall on a digital camera (depending on the make) it's really a 70mm, so good for close-ups...plus obviously you can use it wide-open so you can do hand held shots at ISO 400 (or whatever film speed you think you can get away with, without getting too much grain or post photo processing). I also used a Canon 18-70mm Zoom...but it's far too slow for most concert shots. Not bad for small photos for the net, but not much cop otherwise. Also if you were using a 18mm (probably mearer to 24 or 28mm on my Canon), you can't sit closer than row 5 and fit all of the stage in (I had to lean backwards to try and cram everything in).
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
billythefish wrote:
24db wrote: 50mm 1.8mm
it was at the Alte Oper mate. Yeah, a 50mm is ideal, afterall on a digital camera (depending on the make) it's really a 70mm, so good for close-ups...plus obviously you can use it wide-open so you can do hand held shots at ISO 400 (or whatever film speed you think you can get away with, without getting too much grain or post photo processing). I also used a Canon 18-70mm Zoom...but it's far too slow for most concert shots. Not bad for small photos for the net, but not much cop otherwise. Also if you were using a 18mm (probably mearer to 24 or 28mm on my Canon), you can't sit closer than row 5 and fit all of the stage in (I had to lean backwards to try and cram everything in).
I once used my old 28-210 (F3.5) zoom and that was great. Problem though is getting something like that into a show....
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:
billythefish wrote: Is that what you used at Tempodrom? If so, did it matter having the fixed length? (I have a F1.4 50mm as an option....)
I once used my old 28-210 (F3.5) zoom and that was great. Problem though is getting something like that into a show....
Lunch Box Chris,always worked for me :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

epsilon75 wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote: it was at the Alte Oper mate. Yeah, a 50mm is ideal, afterall on a digital camera (depending on the make) it's really a 70mm, so good for close-ups...plus obviously you can use it wide-open so you can do hand held shots at ISO 400 (or whatever film speed you think you can get away with, without getting too much grain or post photo processing). I also used a Canon 18-70mm Zoom...but it's far too slow for most concert shots. Not bad for small photos for the net, but not much cop otherwise. Also if you were using a 18mm (probably mearer to 24 or 28mm on my Canon), you can't sit closer than row 5 and fit all of the stage in (I had to lean backwards to try and cram everything in).
Lunch Box Chris,always worked for me :wink:
That might have worked too well at the Astoria especially if I'd hung around after the show. :wink:
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I have an 18-200 F3.5 with Vibration Reduction - so it can be stopped down three or so stops more than an equivalent lens.... not sure if it will be okay though - depends on the hall and the lighting I guess.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

billythefish wrote:I have an 18-200 F3.5 with Vibration Reduction - so it can be stopped down three or so stops more than an equivalent lens.... not sure if it will be okay though - depends on the hall and the lighting I guess.
Should be OK. I'm guessing that it's a 70 mm lens, which will give you faster shutter speeds than a 50 mm anyway.
exit81

Post by exit81 »

No filming? Damn it. I was going to try and smuggle a Sony HD Cam past security in my pants. :shock:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

exit81 wrote:No filming? Damn it. I was going to try and smuggle a Sony HD Cam past security in my pants. :shock:
Very upset myself. Had to put my 19-camera video crew on hold. :wink:

....Also upset that I won't see the looks on security's face when I try to get the steady-cam in, hidden in my undies. :wink:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Chris Monk wrote:
exit81 wrote:No filming? Damn it. I was going to try and smuggle a Sony HD Cam past security in my pants. :shock:
Very upset myself. Had to put my 19-camera video crew on hold. :wink:

....Also upset that I won't see the looks on security's face when I try to get the steady-cam in, hidden in my undies. :wink:
Ron Jeremy spotted at TD concert :shock: :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Groovekees

Re: Photography at the Eindhoven gig

Post by Groovekees »

cantosis wrote:
24db wrote:
hansx wrote: have asked this to Kees Aarts from Groove. Only allowed at Ron Boots concert and flash only the first 10 minutes.
that won't work then, flash for 10 minutes?...that has to be one of daftest ideas I've heard in ages
yes indeed what are they going to do when it gets to 15 mins and people are still taking pics.

it isn`t April 1st today is it?
We're not going to do anything. It's just a kind request.
Edgar Froese live on April 13th, 2008 http://froese.groove.nl
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Groovekees wrote:
cantosis wrote:
24db wrote: that won't work then, flash for 10 minutes?...that has to be one of daftest ideas I've heard in ages
yes indeed what are they going to do when it gets to 15 mins and people are still taking pics.

Probably worth pointing out that using a flash at a concert is fairly pointless. All it serves to do is highlight the foreground which is usually the bloke in front's head. Most flash units just aren't powerful enough to light up the band.

How do I know this.... got a nice selection of shots of the back of some guys head at a concert I was at many years ago.
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
Groovekees wrote:
cantosis wrote: yes indeed what are they going to do when it gets to 15 mins and people are still taking pics.

Probably worth pointing out that using a flash at a concert is fairly pointless. All it serves to do is highlight the foreground which is usually the bloke in front's head. Most flash units just aren't powerful enough to light up the band.

How do I know this.... got a nice selection of shots of the back of some guys head at a concert I was at many years ago.
and bald/grey heads at that! ;)