No more Astoria shows. It is being torn down

forcemajeure
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by forcemajeure »

Astoria is a good location but does leave a little to be desired. Birmingham Symphony hall was good. Manchester Apollo is a good settiing. However:
Keeping in line with the wonderful Frankfurt venue last October - Manchester Opera House. Quite a cosy atmosphere - as found out last week when saw Mr Jarre doing Oxygene - concert was ok - but not a touch on the masters!
24db

Post by 24db »

I'd settle for the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall...fantastic venue
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

RAH or RFH in london are also fitting settings for the majesty of TD music.....because the venues fit the classical oeuvre running through tangmusic

while watching JMJ at RAH I couldnt help feeling it would have suited the 02 better :wink:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

[quote="bigmoog"]RAH or RFH in london are also fitting settings for the majesty of TD music.....because the venues fit the classical oeuvre running through tangmusic

Agreed :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
harmonicaman

Post by harmonicaman »

Royal Festival Hall terrible acoustics, its a barn.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

the best gigs I have seen have always been at the SBE, hopefully when TD come to London again they will go there
24db

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:the best gigs I have seen have always been at the SBE, hopefully when TD come to London again they will go there
2000 flies can't be wrong ;) no the SBE is ok, only I wish they could put some glass in the bog windows (judging by last time, and the time before that ;))...can't say I've ever been to a gig with bad sound there

RFH? one of the worst live experiences for me....but then again I think TD PA was having the night off...sorry lads (the sound at the Kraftwerk gig a few weeks later was stunning, I've only ever heard one gig better and that was TD at the Dominion in 1982...don't get me started on that). What's worse about the RFH is the lack of leg room, terrible (the QEH is almost as bad). Apparently the new multi-million pound refit of the RFH added one inch more leg room...woohoo! They tried to improve the sound as well, but I hear that things haven't improved that much (whilst the sound at the QEH was quite good....don't ask about the music).

Perhaps TD should be thinking about the Brixton Accademy or another more unsual venue?
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

24db wrote:
cantosis wrote:the best gigs I have seen have always been at the SBE, hopefully when TD come to London again they will go there
2000 flies can't be wrong ;) no the SBE is ok, only I wish they could put some glass in the bog windows (judging by last time, and the time before that ;))...can't say I've ever been to a gig with bad sound there

RFH? one of the worst live experiences for me....but then again I think TD PA was having the night off...sorry lads (the sound at the Kraftwerk gig a few weeks later was stunning, I've only ever heard one gig better and that was TD at the Dominion in 1982...don't get me started on that). What's worse about the RFH is the lack of leg room, terrible (the QEH is almost as bad). Apparently the new multi-million pound refit of the RFH added one inch more leg room...woohoo! They tried to improve the sound as well, but I hear that things haven't improved that much (whilst the sound at the QEH was quite good....don't ask about the music).

Perhaps TD should be thinking about the Brixton Accademy or another more unsual venue?

Billythefish would be happy. to be fair I have seen Foo Fighters and Massive Attack there(twice). not bad although I like intimate venues and the brixton accademy is so far away from being that. I dont think it would suit TD`s music.
24db

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:
24db wrote:

Billythefish would be happy. to be fair I have seen Foo Fighters and Massive Attack there(twice). not bad although I like intimate venues and the brixton accademy is so far away from being that. I dont think it would suit TD`s music.
TUe in Eindhoven then? ;)
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

24db wrote:
cantosis wrote:
24db wrote: 2000 flies can't be wrong ;) no the SBE is ok, only I wish they could put some glass in the bog windows (judging by last time, and the time before that ;))...can't say I've ever been to a gig with bad sound there

looked pretty good, what do you prefer the bigger venues or small ones? One of the reasons I am not going to Loreley is I find festivals so cold, not sure how I would find TD playing there. I am not really a fan of festivals at all.
24db

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:
24db wrote:
cantosis wrote:
looked pretty good, what do you prefer the bigger venues or small ones? One of the reasons I am not going to Loreley is I find festivals so cold, not sure how I would find TD playing there. I am not really a fan of festivals at all.
No I agree mate, smaller ones are far better, once you go beyond about 2000 then things aren't that good IMHO (sound quality wise and seeing the stage). The TUe was fantastic as a venue, I was really impressed with it (although it would have been nice to actually select what seat you got, rather than being man-handled into a seat in the rush getting into the hall). The best venue I've been to recently would be the Alte Oper, as you could see the stage really well (the bottom half of the TUe is flat, therefore it wasn't easy seeing the whole stage at times, but that's a small whinge nothing more). The seats at the AO were also very comfortable, ironic really as TD played a fairly short set.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

as i have said before the refurbished rfh is an improvement over the previous...not by much, but enough to warrant a return by td, but with a bigger PA.

alter oper is an excellent venue. excellent :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Must admit i do like the RFH.........nice concert hall and a good big bar area to relax in have a drink and chat. 8)
Not been there since the refurb but i should imagine its been wothwhile.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:Must admit i do like the RFH.........nice concert hall and a good big bar area to relax in have a drink and chat. 8)
I had a look in there before going to the QEH...not that much different, bar the shops have been removed
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:Must admit i do like the RFH.........nice concert hall and a good big bar area to relax in have a drink and chat. 8)
I had a look in there before going to the QEH...not that much different, bar the shops have been removed

the refurb was in the main concert hall, they should have spent some cash on refreshment facilities in the foyer and better food etc.......and extend the bar by 600% :arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....