Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:54 am
Posts: 7393
Location: Scotland
Chris Monk wrote:
burningbrain wrote:
Worst? All tracks with that "Aaaaaheeeee"-Vocalsample.

Liked it at first....


...but it got a little over utilised.


Worse thah Ahhhhhhhhhheeeeee was the hey yeah on VFART.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 484
it was only prominent in a couple tracks (if my memory serves me right)

_________________
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:44 pm
Posts: 652
Location: SOMEWHERE ELSE
sparrow wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
burningbrain wrote:
Worst? All tracks with that "Aaaaaheeeee"-Vocalsample.

Liked it at first....


...but it got a little over utilised.


Worse thah Ahhhhhhhhhheeeeee was the hey yeah on VFART.


Is this the voice of Jayney Klimek (who featured on Divine Comedy & TOTT)?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 10:40 am
Posts: 3112
Location: In my private cryo space lounge, Oslo, Norway
Chris Monk wrote:
burningbrain wrote:
Worst? All tracks with that "Aaaaaheeeee"-Vocalsample.

Liked it at first....


...but it got a little over utilised.

There are some of these on The Island of the Fay also, but I think it only adds to the mood of the album. Not overused. And I can't help but really like that vocal sample.

_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/Insvims


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 7797
Location: Bristol, Uk
Insvims wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
burningbrain wrote:
Worst? All tracks with that "Aaaaaheeeee"-Vocalsample.

Liked it at first....


...but it got a little over utilised.

There are some of these on The Island of the Fay also, but I think it only adds to the mood of the album. Not overused. And I can't help but really like that vocal sample.

Will listen to this with interest.


Actually I was listening to the Lisbon DVD this morning and much enjoying the vocals samples used throughout, especially on Carmel Calif. Top stuff.

_________________
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:16 pm
Posts: 52
To be honest, I'm not really fond of the vocal sfx on Views From A Red Train. I can live with 'em, but they actually leave me pining for Steve Jolliffe's singing on Cyclone. I can smell the death threats already.

To date, I'm not aware of any truly "worst" tracks. But one incredibly disappointing one would be 'Rolling Down Cahuenga' from Melrose. It starts off promising, with a nice 'Enjoy The Silence'-esque bassline, but quickly loses focus and starts meandering for several minutes. I don't usually skip tracks I dislike, but I tire of this one too quickly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 10:40 am
Posts: 3112
Location: In my private cryo space lounge, Oslo, Norway
Don't like Optical Race (the track) very much.
I really love the album, but the title track is too "pop".

_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/Insvims


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 484
the title track^ has always reminded me of old Sonic games for some reason.....

_________________
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:54 pm
Posts: 1686
Location: Kristiansand, Norway
PurpleTwilight wrote:
To be honest, I'm not really fond of the vocal sfx on Views From A Red Train. I can live with 'em, but they actually leave me pining for Steve Jolliffe's singing on Cyclone. I can smell the death threats already.

To date, I'm not aware of any truly "worst" tracks. But one incredibly disappointing one would be 'Rolling Down Cahuenga' from Melrose. It starts off promising, with a nice 'Enjoy The Silence'-esque bassline, but quickly loses focus and starts meandering for several minutes. I don't usually skip tracks I dislike, but I tire of this one too quickly.


Really disagree about Cahuenga. was one of my early TD favorites in the early 90s.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 7797
Location: Bristol, Uk
Jon wrote:
PurpleTwilight wrote:
To be honest, I'm not really fond of the vocal sfx on Views From A Red Train. I can live with 'em, but they actually leave me pining for Steve Jolliffe's singing on Cyclone. I can smell the death threats already.

To date, I'm not aware of any truly "worst" tracks. But one incredibly disappointing one would be 'Rolling Down Cahuenga' from Melrose. It starts off promising, with a nice 'Enjoy The Silence'-esque bassline, but quickly loses focus and starts meandering for several minutes. I don't usually skip tracks I dislike, but I tire of this one too quickly.


Really disagree about Cahuenga. was one of my early TD favorites in the early 90s.

Yeh. Nice tune. Not one of TD's very best but still very pleasant to listen to. Have to admit that it doesn't go anywhere very much but that doesn't make it a bad track.

_________________
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 484
first time i heard it was Arizona, so i might be biased towards it. i think it's great

_________________
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:16 pm
Posts: 52
I consider Melrose a rather odd album. For me, there's something desolate-sounding about the tracks in general that wasn't present in previous or later albums. Maybe it's the songwriting, the instrumentation, the production, etc. Strangely enough, my two favorites are 'Three Bikes In The Sky' and 'Cool At Heart,' which didn't seem too popular among fan reviews I've read.

I'm not too fond of 'Girls On Broadway' from Rockoon, although I've heard that many fans really like the song. It gets points for being somewhat creative in its arrangement, but I think the major-key doesn't do it for me. I never skip it, though, since it's not that bad.

Going back to the song 'Optical Race,' I keep imagining it as an inspiration for 'Under The Sea' from Disney's The Little Mermaid.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 484
girls on broadway is cool as a cucumber

_________________
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:35 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Champigny-sur-Marne, France
To have remembered some "worst" tracks, that means already they had a tune or something remarkable... Which isn't the case for a few dozens of tracks from TD, for instance many on "Mota Atma", "Transsiberia" or several of their soundtracks form the 80's...
OK, the five first albums hardly had any melody either, but the guys were experimenting with new sounds at least, and there were some special harmonies... not just two notes or two chords going nowhere over a bed of programmed rhythms without any specificity.
The "main title" from Sorcerer is quite meaningless as well.
And this is a man who loves some of their atonal music who speaks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:51 pm
Posts: 399
Location: Valley Of The Kings
I love love love every track on Melrose, it's a very fine album 8)

Girls on Broadway is extremely cool 8)

Optical race, the title track is a youthful and enjoyable track if you can keep up with its energy. I love it 8)

_________________
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
Page 6 of 15 [ 221 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage