Worst TD tracks

Erik
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Erik »

PurpleTwilight wrote:
Erik wrote: 1. Towards the Evening Star is great, and i can tell why it ended up on future releases. i really thought i was gonna enjoy this whole album from that point.
That would describe my feelings toward 'Tangram Set 1.' Back when TD was completely alien to me, I heard the first 3 1/2 minutes of this track on Youtube and thought it was great. After all, everybody seemed to be raving about this album. But when I got the album over a year later, I was shocked to find that most of the music fell way below first three minutes. To this day, I still consider Tangram a big disappointment.

I also checked out 'Towards The Evening Star' once during those early Youtube days. I don't remember being blown away by it, but I distinctly recall thinking the vocals were a weird turn-off. This is coming from a guy who also heard 'Rising Runner Missed By Endless Sender' and loved it. But when I finally got Goblin's Club, I immediately fell for this song, vocals and all.

...'Sphinx Lightning' never really appealed to me. Just as 'SL' seemed like the odd-track-out on Hyperborea, 'Sad Merlin's Sunday' was in the same boat. It's probably the most experimental track on the album, and I simply couldn't get it for a long time. The track's length certainly didn't help. But it's grown on me a lot, though, so I actually don't mind listening to it now. It's not in the "worst" category, but it still remains my least favorite part of the album.

I've always been fond of 'On Crane's Passage' and 'Elf June And The Midnight Patrol.' In fact, I did a cover version of both those songs as a medley. Listening to it closely, I've come to realize that 'On Crane's Passage' resembles a straight-faced take on 'Graffiti Street.'

I agree with you about the drums on 'Rising Haul In Silence,' though. While I like the song, I think it could've used a better snare.

I find 'United Goblin's Parade' very listenable, but otherwise it's one of the weaker tracks. I don't mind Edgar's guitar solo, but I'd prefer he use a more distorted lead effect than the limp-sounding one he used. The same criticism goes for 'Haze Of Fame' on the previous album. But I agree about the beat on 'UGP.' Sometimes I think Edgar should've left most of the percussion duties to Jerome.
exactly. for the most part, i have something nice to say about every track on this album. i'm not sure why i recall Sad Merlin's Sunday being horrid (so i decided to edit my original review of it), as it's about as decent as people described it. maybe i was remember Elf June or something, cause that track just seems weirder and weirder every time i hear it. it has an off putting feeling in it. i probably got them mixed up, cause i had once recalled liking Elf June significantly more.

Sad Merlin's Sunday should've left out that first couple of minutes. the lone acoustic guitar just didn't work for me. after that it's nearly a worthy redemption. definitely not my least favourite moment on the album, but i still think it's a cold ending.

i really liked the vocals in Evening Star. i found them to be pretty tasteful. the vocals on At Darwin's Motel (which i KNEW i'd like more and more), are growing on me. both the woman's voice, and the ethereal backing vocals. and i can't stop thinking about the very start of that tune. it's so nice.

some stuff on Goblin's Club i just can't sit through. i can hear a good album in there somewhere...but there are just too many things i'd alter! this is the first time i think i'd ever do that to a TD album (although i'd replace Catwalk on TOB with it's 15 minute counterpart......i'm not kidding!).

so at their worst, they can still shine. that's remarkable. this is like the Mr. Gone of Tangerine Dream.

i'm at least glad i revisited this album. i can't say it wasn't worth it. when i was making my earlier review, i heard much more good in it than i did last year (which was my first time ever hearing it). ah the power of TD
Last edited by Erik on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
gumball

Post by gumball »

Everything post Melrose to be honest, with only a few exceptions. But if I had to pick a real stinker or two......then everything off Madcaps or Dante.
Mac cuber transfer

Post by Mac cuber transfer »

Desert_Voyager wrote:I hate the vocal tracks on Cyclone as I hate everything about the singing :evil:
I've often thought bent cold sidewalk would be an amazing track without the vocals
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

gumball wrote:Everything post Melrose to be honest, with only a few exceptions..
So that's 21 years worth of music just written off in a single sentence....
surprised you bothered after the first 5/6 years of stinkers :?
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Mac cuber transfer wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:I hate the vocal tracks on Cyclone as I hate everything about the singing :evil:
I've often thought bent cold sidewalk would be an amazing track without the vocals
I've thought that aswell
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Desert_Voyager wrote:
I've thought that aswell
It's pretty fine just as it is............
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

gumball wrote:Everything post Melrose to be honest, with only a few exceptions. But if I had to pick a real stinker or two......then everything off Madcaps or Dante.
The ballads on The Dante Project and Madcap's Flaming Duty are sheer perfection. I don't care for the instrumental versions of Madcap's though.
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle
Minimoog

Post by Minimoog »

Marakesh wrote:
gumball wrote:Everything post Melrose to be honest, with only a few exceptions. But if I had to pick a real stinker or two......then everything off Madcaps or Dante.
The ballads on The Dante Project and Madcap's Flaming Duty are sheer perfection. I don't care for the instrumental versions of Madcap's though.
The coward only threatens when he is safe.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

For me its the title track on Purple Diluvial...it just kinda goes on and goes nowhere!
Close no.2 is the whole of Mota Atma where every track is a slight remix/rerecording of the previous track! :roll:
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:For me its the title track on Purple Diluvial...it just kinda goes on and goes nowhere!
Close no.2 is the whole of Mota Atma where every track is a slight remix/rerecording of the previous track! :roll:
I love both those you mention Mike ;-)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Ditto.

Mind you, I quite like Cyclone anyway, even some of the singing. Having said that I'd quite like to hear the tracks without the vocals.

Strangely I heard the version of the track Tyger without the vocals and I really missed them.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Marakesh wrote:
Totally agree. The vocals definitely add to the Madcap's tracks.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
burningbrain

Post by burningbrain »

Worst? All tracks with that "Aaaaaheeeee"-Vocalsample.
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

burningbrain wrote:Worst? All tracks with that "Aaaaaheeeee"-Vocalsample.
There are so many tracks with that sample, and yet some of them are still awesome, in spite of it.
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

burningbrain wrote:Worst? All tracks with that "Aaaaaheeeee"-Vocalsample.
Liked it at first....

...but it got a little over utilised.