Worst TD tracks

rigel
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: Worst TD tracks

Post by rigel »

Network23 wrote:
RAYMAN1970 wrote:I found that "Lily" lacked any "warm-sounding" lows. It was all highs and treble;
Pretty much how I feel about Optical Race. Apart from "The Midnight Trail," the bass sounds lack punch, like they're overwhelmed by all the highs and mids. The entire album has a very "airy" feel to it. Still a unique sound, and they got away with it.

The "zany" aspect of Lily escapes me. It has a vibrant, immediate feel, and you do get the impression of cruising through the desert and cities of California. A very "west coast US" theme is prevalent.
RAYMAN1970 wrote:When I first listened to "Melrose", I said aloud to myself, "The magic is back!"
I said exactly the opposite. :lol:
That trio of Private Music studio albums...each had their high points, but Optical Race was the one that blew me away, that sultry August evening back in 1988. And in the same week I bought Schmoelling's The Zoo of Tranquillity album, so it was quite a time for great new electronic music.

Stand out tracks from the three: Atlas Eyes, Mothers of Rain, Cat Scan, Sun Gate, Alaskan Summer, Mount Shasta, 29 Palms, Dolls in the Shadow, Cool at Heart.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

RAYMAN1970 wrote:cold cold cold

cold cold cold
It's TDs autocorrect system. There are certain words that are not to appear on the forum

Like... cold play plays fantastically (the words I typed were were H O T . M I M E. P L A Y-B A C K)

Autocorrect changes them.. :)

Van Halen - cold For Teacher . see ?
ant

Post by ant »

:) I really like Lily on the Beach, Optical Race and Melrose but there are a few after that between 1991 and 1995 that I did not like so much. I am not saying I hated them but just didn't like them so much. Maybe it was too much of Jerome's influence, I don't know. It was not really until 1999 that we got back on track with Mars Polaris. :)
Biggus Dickus
rigel

Post by rigel »

ant wrote::) I really like Lily on the Beach, Optical Race and Melrose but there are a few after that between 1991 and 1995 that I did not like so much. I am not saying I hated them but just didn't like them so much. Maybe it was too much of Jerome's influence, I don't know. It was not really until 1999 that we got back on track with Mars Polaris. :)
This was pretty much the case with me, although 220 Volt Live and the two Dream Mixes albums released in the 1990s were exceptional to my ears. But the studio albums after Melrose/Rockoon were just patchy to me. Goblin's Club has some wonderful stuff (Towards the Evening Star) but other tracks leave me cold. Mars Polaris sounded so fresh when I first heard it back in 1999 (there was a wow factor to Comet's Figure Head, for instance). But again, I have to admit there are a number of pieces on that album I've skipped since then.
rigel

Post by rigel »

Jon wrote:
rigel wrote:
Network23 wrote:The best result of the Froese-Haslinger tandem is Miracle Mile. If it had been released as a non-soundtrack album, it would be regarded as a classic on the level of Underwater Sunlight. For some reason, it doesn't get enough mention.

When Jerome joined, something happened. I'm afraid the music was not of the same quality on Melrose, Rockoon and especially Turn of the Tides.

Melrose bestowed a discernible placidity, a lack of an edge. It had a very contempo flair, and while that wouldn't necessarily make it a less than memorable album, the chord progressions and sequences weren't very interesting. Paul definitely had one foot out the door, with his ticket punched and ready to fly to California. I wouldn't be surprised if Paul wasn't on some of the Melrose tracks. "Electric Lion" was one of the first things to turn me off about the "new" sound.
These are interesting and honest thoughts. I agree very much that Miracle Mile is a gem of a soundtrack album. It has mood, great melodies, and a real sense of two musicians working beautifully together. Also the music is rather poignant if one has actually watched the great film directed by Bobby Roth.

I do not dislike Melrose, but it did seem at the time it came out to have rather less sparkle, let's say, than Lily on the Beach and Optical Race. There is a softness about that album in places, an uneven quality...still, the best tracks on the album remain inspiring today. I always loved Dolls in the Shadow, for instance.
Miracle Mile is directed by Steve de Jarnatt, not Bobby Roth.
Oops. Apologies to Steve de Jarnatt!
RAYMAN1970

Post by RAYMAN1970 »

Network23 wrote:
RAYMAN1970 wrote:I found that "Lily" lacked any "warm-sounding" lows. It was all highs and treble;
Pretty much how I feel about Optical Race. Apart from "The Midnight Trail," the bass sounds lack punch, like they're overwhelmed by all the highs and mids. The entire album has a very "airy" feel to it. Still a unique sound, and they got away with it.

The "zany" aspect of Lily escapes me. It has a vibrant, immediate feel, and you do get the impression of cruising through the desert and cities of California. A very "west coast US" theme is prevalent.
RAYMAN1970 wrote:When I first listened to "Melrose", I said aloud to myself, "The magic is back!"
I said exactly the opposite. :lol:
Network,

I humbly respect your opinion.

I just think it's great that there are so many others out there that share my intense love for this great musical force!

Peace! :mrgreen:
Sequent C'

Post by Sequent C' »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
RAYMAN1970 wrote:cold cold cold

cold cold cold
It's TDs autocorrect system. There are certain words that are not to appear on the forum

Like... cold play plays fantastically (the words I typed were were H O T . M I M E. P L A Y-B A C K)

Autocorrect changes them.. :)

Van Halen - cold For Teacher . see ?
.....why? Why would they autocorrect a seemingly random set of words, especially ones that appear in song titles?
redziller

Post by redziller »

'twas ever thus

A primitive way to stop undesired content.
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
Network23

Post by Network23 »

RAYMAN1970 wrote:Network,

I humbly respect your opinion.

I just think it's great that there are so many others out there that share my intense love for this great musical force!

Peace! :mrgreen:
Likewise, RAYMAN! We both first saw TD in '88, so we're cut from the same cloth. :mrgreen:
mikewp

Post by mikewp »

Ummm...anything from Ambient Monkeys.

And for me, those early pre-Phaedra albums; Atem, Electronic Meditation etc, are unlistenable :) Someone here said his wife referred to that TD period as "The Scary Years" and she was absolutely right . I had the "In The Beginning" LP box and parted with it years ago and have never looked back.

The Mirimar albums like Rockoon and Turn Of The Tides don't have anything I go back to either. Neither does Goblin's Club.

And add me to the minority who enjoys Melrose quite a bit.
Jon

Post by Jon »

RAYMAN1970 wrote: Edgar, is that you? :shock:
LOL, yes, he's having a laugh at his new cosmic address right now.
TDludo

Post by TDludo »

I guess I'll never understand why "Turn of the Tides" and "Tyranny of Beauty" receive so many bad reviews...
In my opinion, these are really interesting albums, with only minor problems.
On the contrary, I think Rockoon has MAJOR problems ! :lol:
A new cosmic address for the Master Dreamer...
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

TDludo wrote:I guess I'll never understand why "Turn of the Tides" and "Tyranny of Beauty" receive so many bad reviews...
On the contrary, I think Rockoon has MAJOR problems ! :lol:
...and I don't think Rockoon is too bad either :)
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

TDludo wrote:I guess I'll never understand why "Turn of the Tides" and "Tyranny of Beauty" receive so many bad reviews...
I just listened to these last week. I had completely forgotten how much of guitar-based album Tyranny of Beauty is. It's almost all guitar! That 's not a criticism, just an observation. The only tracks I would be likely to go back to, however, are "Catwalk" and "Stratosfear 95". "Living in a Fountain Pen" was a really painful listen. Ugh.
As for Turn of the Tides, "Firetongues" is pretty good, but other than that . . .

Hell, I don't even own Rockoon or Goblin's Club. I have heard them a couple of times, and I can certainly live without them. Also wish I had never bought 220 Volt Live, although it had its use in that I later knew to skip over the Tangerine Tree material from that era.
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

Tyranny of Beauty is an album I regularly come back to. I love Catwalk, Little Blonde in the Park of Attractions and Bride in Cold Tears. Some tracks are really guitar-heavy and loud, especially Living in a Fountain Pen and Tyranny of Beauty. But that's OK for me. :)
The only tracks on this album I don't like are Haze of Fame and Largo. But besides these I enjoy this Album very much. Maybe you have to be in the mood for it. :wink: