Near Dark

alipaul
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Near Dark

Post by alipaul »

Love this soundtrack apart from Caleb's Blues.
This soundtrack to me captures the mood of the film IMHO
Who other than EF & CF were a member of TD at the time ? was it JS
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
24db

Post by 24db »

Paul Haslinger :)
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Love this one too. It's also a great contemporary Vampire movie amd my fave of all movies using a TD score. Am I alone in thinking Calebs Blues is OK. :oops:
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

24db wrote:Paul Haslinger :)
I thought you'd know Andy Thanks

24db

Post by 24db »

alipaul wrote:
there's a photo of the 'trio' with Kathryn Bigelow (sp?) in the studio in an old TD tour programme
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

24db wrote:
alipaul wrote:
there's a photo of the 'trio' with Kathryn Bigelow (sp?) in the studio in an old TD tour programme
Yeah you're right i think it's in one of the box sets as well that's me opening my mouth before thinking :roll:

rotwang

Post by rotwang »

sparrow wrote:Love this one too. It's also a great contemporary Vampire movie amd my fave of all movies using a TD score. Am I alone in thinking Calebs Blues is OK. :oops:
No, you're not, sparrow. I rather like Caleb's Blues, too. Guess it's all just a case of different strokes, y'know?
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

I bought the DVD last year and quite enjoyed the film despite not being a vampire flick fan. The music is very good but I have to say I'm not a fan of Caleb's Blues.
timer

Post by timer »

I really like this release start to finish.
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

Me too. :) My favourite track is "Pick Up At High Noon", just wonderful how that composition builds up!
HarryPotter No7

Post by HarryPotter No7 »

Also a favourite movie of mine - the track 'Calebs Blues' was never used in the actual movie, I never quite understood why this track appears on the album when the music used for the starting titles was omitted :?

If any of you own the 2-disc dvd, put the director's commentry on and skip to the scene just after Caleb lets the young chap go in the bar scene (about half way thru If I remember) and Kathryn Bigelow talks briefly about TD's score and how much she thought it worked well with the movie.
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

I Have the Sound Track & I See The Movie. :D 8) :wink: :arrow:

ピーターAKAレーザーディスク夢
ant

Post by ant »

:D Great album, excellent film. I even like Caleb's Blues!! :D
Biggus Dickus
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Great soundtrack and easily up there with their best IMHO,as some have said,Calebs Blues is a great track 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

This is this the soundtrack to the film, where the sympathetic young man, Caleb, falls in love with the mysterious Mae. However, Mae turns out to be a vampire...
Off course, he is bitten, and despite many attempted escapes, he is held by Mae's gang of aggressive vampires, and he has to go through an awfully lot. Mae is insecure with the situation, because she's in love with Caleb.
In my opinion, Near Dark is the best film, Tangerine Dream has made the music to. The film, as well as the music is very 80's.
The music is tremendously heavy, but with a gothic touch. If you have to compare production wise, the Alice Cooper records called Constrictor and Raise Your Fist And Yell, comes close, but I can't recommend those!
Tangerine Dream's contribution to the film has helped a lot to raise the level, because Near Dark is a dynamic album, with lots of variation.
The higlights can be heard in Pick Up At High Noon and Fight At Dawn, which has sequences based on the very dangerous one, that ended the Poland album with a bang!
Especially the last mentioned is very heavy, and you can blame it on the lively and aggressive drumming.
Why only 8/10? Well, the opening track, Caleb's Blues is quite doubtful. In short, a failed attempt to incorporate blues melodies in an electronic context. Luckily, this is the only minus on this record.
Near Dark has become quite a rarity, but I bought it at Groove Unlimited and they might have some copies left.

8/10