Metaphor

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Metaphor

Post by 24db »

01. METAPHOR FIRST REALITY . Fades in with a looped pad (for some weird reason I kept thinking of Atem or Alpha centauri, there must be something about the timbre perhaps?), drums and synth stings are quickly augmented, as is a bass synth which plays a simple repeated line. A piano meanders with lots of reverb and then a reversed piano sample is layered with it with a distorted panned note (which is a bit like a guitar). It's hard to say what this track reminds me of, perhaps Pete Namlook jamming with Vangelis (If I had to guess I'd say there's definitely a Thorsten influence to this piece). The track has a 'something is gonna happen' feeling, but it doesn't, everything actually sounds quite improvised and the sound palatte is (generally) new to TD...it ends with bubbling and reversed sounds...leading into.

02. METAPHOR SECOND REALITY ...Starts with an ethnic "Aaaah" wordless vocal sample a bit like FSOL (over a lazy bass line), but this is soon added to with another voice, (but this has more of an electronic synth character), A metalic panned rhythmic sequence starts, with an almost 'vocal character' to the filter for a few bars and then a fast piano arpeggio/sequencer line is layered over the top with a very digital melody (from Edgar?). Then a huge layered pad takes over which plays a new melody....think of film about the Pharaos or Ancient Eygpt and you'd get the rough idea (the actual sound is a layer of strings, flute and perhaps another synth). The new melody drops away and we're back to the ethic voices over a plodding bass line, and tubular bell hits. . Suzanne Ciani jams with Edgar during Dalinetopia?. Perhaps not, but it's interesting nevertheless. Ends with a long ominious sustained note...which fades into

03. METAPHOR THIRD REALITY ...a bubbling 'Edgar' type sequence runs, as piano phrases and guitar like synths play, then a strong melody takes over: piano, a buzzy and breathy synth, whilst the tune changes key. A good solid track. Finishes with some weird reversed and echoing plucked sounds. Probably my favourite, because of it's strong melody and it's quite up tempo. ....leading into...

04. METAPHOR EARTHLING'S REALITY....an Edgar track I guess, the sequencing is very like him. 'Shock horror' this track has male vocals, I can't comment on the lyrics but it isn't too bad. Later in the track some distant guitar is added (although it could be a fuzzed synth, it's hard to say and it's fairly far back in the mix). Not bad I guess, if you like vocals.

Overall I liked Metaphor, it's not the best thing TD have ever released (that's Ricochet obviously ;)), but it's certainly worth getting hold of for the first 3 tracks alone. 'If' TD are just Thorsten and Edgar, then the group are in safe hands and we're in for an interesting time
la sagesse du destin

Post by la sagesse du destin »

I am agree with 24db
I feel Metaphor as a start of a new direction with references to the past (the first part is a little "ambient" as the very old tracks or the beginnigs of mota atma and jeanne d'arc)(and when we leastening the third part we are thinking to purgatorio) but the majority of sounds and melody have something of very innovative music. I like metaphor very well.
What's the name of the singer ?
I think (but i am not sure) that's his name is Chris Hausl (from picture palace music) .The name is not on the cover.
Everyone can confirm it ?
Infinite thanks to all the peoples from Eastgate and TD for the Japan Raffle.
www.tangram-dream.fr
24db

Post by 24db »

la sagesse du destin wrote:I am agree with 24db
I feel Metaphor as a start of a new direction with references to the past (the first part is a little "ambient" as the very old tracks or the beginnigs of mota atma and jeanne d'arc)(and when we leastening the third part we are thinking to purgatorio) but the majority of sounds and melody have something of very innovative music. I like metaphor very well.
What's the name of the singer ?
I think (but i am not sure) that's his name is Chris Hausl (from picture palace music) .The name is not on the cover.
Everyone can confirm it ?
Looks like more Vocal stuff is the direction TD want to go in, starting with "Metaphor" and continuing with "Madcap’s Flaming Duty". It's hard to say if it's Chris Hausl sings on the record, perhaps somebody else can answer your question?

andy
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

I quite like metaphor (better than TD's usual EP Fayre)
Some interesting soundscapes (still not keen on vocals though)
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Echosnare

Post by Echosnare »

I'm liking what I'm hearing. (In a Dr Zoidberg voice).

This, & the Tempodrom EP bode well for the future, & if the vocals on Earthlings Reality are a taster of what to expect on "Madcap", then I for one will be quite happy.

I fnd the style of the aforementioned "sort of" remeniscent of the English language songs from the trilogy, and while the un-named vocalist isn't (insert name of your favourite singer!), he's no Steve Joliffe either!

I particularly like one little touch, though......

How all four metaphors run into a 23 minute + longer track..... That is a new departure for TD and one I think they should pursue..... (There is no "tongue in cheek" emoticon!)......

All in all, I'm quite happy with my bundle from Berlin... (Or was it Vienna?)
exit81

Post by exit81 »

Cheers for the recent reviews Andy...on the ball as usual !! I'll compare notes when my parcel arrived from TD, but I'm especially looking forward to the DVDs....makes me wonder what video footage TD has in their vaults and what old stuff we might get to see in the future.
24db

Post by 24db »

exit81 wrote:Cheers for the recent reviews Andy...on the ball as usual !! I'll compare notes when my parcel arrived from TD, but I'm especially looking forward to the DVDs....makes me wonder what video footage TD has in their vaults and what old stuff we might get to see in the future.
Cheers mate, yep it's going to be interesting to see 'whatever' TD release on DVD, it's even more interesting to see that the Madcap CD comes with a 'making of/ behind the scenes' DVD :)
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
exit81 wrote:Cheers for the recent reviews Andy...on the ball as usual !! I'll compare notes when my parcel arrived from TD, but I'm especially looking forward to the DVDs....makes me wonder what video footage TD has in their vaults and what old stuff we might get to see in the future.
Cheers mate, yep it's going to be interesting to see 'whatever' TD release on DVD, it's even more interesting to see that the Madcap CD comes with a 'making of/ behind the scenes' DVD :)
'Tis a good time to be a TD fan. So much on offer and a wider range of goods as well. It will be interesting to see what merchandise is on offer at the 2007 gigs.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
'Tis a good time to be a TD fan. So much on offer and a wider range of goods as well. It will be interesting to see what merchandise is on offer at the 2007 gigs.
All of TD's electronic kit ;) (TD plan to do an acoustic CD in the future, according to the Q&A section :))
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
Hobo wrote:
24db wrote: Cheers mate, yep it's going to be interesting to see 'whatever' TD release on DVD, it's even more interesting to see that the Madcap CD comes with a 'making of/ behind the scenes' DVD :)
All of TD's electronic kit ;) (TD plan to do an acoustic CD in the future, according to the Q&A section :))
Yep, I read that as well. Great news. Got a feeling that it has been suggested by quite a few fans, on the old forum, over the years. Seems that TD have been listening.
Taximan431

Metaphor

Post by Taximan431 »

Hi all ,
A lot Of truth has been posted above with regard to this release.Its a fresh piece of music slow looping build up Clear crisp transition between parts 1,2,3. You never tire from hearing it each time. some parts remind me of Thorsten's solo projects espically the deep percussion parts. At first I was a bit taken back by its first listening but putting it in my taxi & driving along have grown very attached to it. I like the new vocal approach on track 2 Metaphor second Reality. Piano sequence is awesome clear & quite dramatic
It almost has a soundtrack quality .I could imagine this being used in some score quite easily. Part 3 ( Metaphor third reality) I find to be my favourite possibly that it has TD sound coming through deeper. the sequence reminds me of some of the Td of old but fresher & very up to date. very rythemic & melodic easy to adjust to

Part 4 or Earthlings reality has the vocals we will hear more of in mad caps Flaming Duty in fact it wouldn't surprise me that this is a leftover track from the forthcoming new album. I also would say it works well as a finishing piece . The Vocals work well here ....I like the New sound :!:

Yes the new sound gets thumbs up from this corner

Regards....Geoff 8) :) :!:
24db

Post by 24db »

Geoff, your signature is one of the most understated sentences I've ever read ;)....a TD gig without you=Unthinkable
Taximan431

Post by Taximan431 »

24db wrote:Geoff, your signature is one of the most understated sentences I've ever read ;)....a TD gig without you=Unthinkable

Thank you so much for that ....I also think without you 24db ,Colin,Conrad, Dave fox, Heiko H. & Heiko N. Alan millar,the guys from the German fan base ,Chris owen & all that meet @ the pre fan meeting points. Those pre gig meetings are an event in themselves. There are many of you there that make the event & also hi to Chris Neumann couldn't forget you mate :!:

:D 8) :D
24db

Post by 24db »

Taximan431 wrote:
24db wrote:Geoff, your signature is one of the most understated sentences I've ever read ;)....a TD gig without you=Unthinkable

Thank you so much for that ....I also think without you 24db ,Colin,Conrad, Dave fox, Heiko H. & Heiko N. Alan millar,the guys from the German fan base ,Chris owen & all that meet @ the pre fan meeting points. Those pre gig meetings are an event in themselves. There are many of you there that make the event & also hi to Chris Neumann couldn't forget you mate :!:

:D 8) :D
Cheers Geoff....good to see you in the front row on the Tempodrom gig DVD (lucky git ;))
Laserdiscdream

Post by Laserdiscdream »

Good Review for Metaphor I’ll Look Forward to Hearing Then Soon.

ピーターAKAレーザーディスク夢

http://aki.endless-run.org/index.php