Jean-Michel Jarre and Tangerine Dream

rigel
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: Jean-Michel Jarre and Tangerine Dream

Post by rigel »

Michael66 wrote:
Jon wrote:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:The story behind the collaboration....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N93ju_s ... e=youtu.be
Very nice.

Is it just my imagination or did Edgar mention JMJ in a not too positive way quite a few years ago?
I remember that too. He also said some unpleasant things about Baumann in 1983 and later must have changed his opinion. But I don't see much of a problem with that - Edgar was human, not a saint. I just wish he'd have been more open to collaborations of the JMJ kind some decades earlier. His standard reply to such suggestion at that time went something like "Not possible, our tech setup is too effing difficult for having guest musicians!" Hmm.
That could well have been true at the time, with all that equipment and a particular way of working, i.e. the Franke/Froese/Schmoelling era. My impression was the technology was made easier and simplified down the years. And no doubt Edgar mellowed out in later years, as you say he was only human. Time passes and you make things up with old friends.

I don't recall him saying anything negative about Jarre - must have missed that interview!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Michael66 wrote:
Jon wrote:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:The story behind the collaboration....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N93ju_s ... e=youtu.be
Very nice.

Is it just my imagination or did Edgar mention JMJ in a not too positive way quite a few years ago?
I remember that too. He also said some unpleasant things about Baumann in 1983 and later must have changed his opinion. But I don't see much of a problem with that - Edgar was human, not a saint. I just wish he'd have been more open to collaborations of the JMJ kind some decades earlier. His standard reply to such suggestion at that time went something like "Not possible, our tech setup is too effing difficult for having guest musicians!" Hmm.
I also feel that Edgar may have been a person who talked a bit harsh about certain people or things, but when he later met that particular person he behaved in a better way!

A bit of prejudice, perhaps, which most of us may be guilty of.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Has anyone received the 12", by the way?
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Jon wrote:Has anyone received the 12", by the way?
no. not yet.
can't see that they've taken any money from my account either....
ant

Post by ant »

:D Yes, I received mine on Friday 3rd July. :D
Biggus Dickus
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Question about Zero Gravity:

I love the original version. Pure bliss!
But when it comes to the remix; does it have anything to do with the original version at all? I can't hear it. It's like a complete different composition.
Is it something I don't get?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Insvims wrote:Question about Zero Gravity:

But when it comes to the remix; does it have anything to do with the original version at all? I can't hear it. It's like a complete different composition.
Maybe you just don't "get" modern ambient/house/dance/techno music?

I agree, it's totally different. A bit like The Orb's remix of Towards The Evening Star, which Edgar wasn't too happy about. Perhaps it's good he didn't get to listen to this one...

The Zero Gravity remix is not a bad remix though, but I guess it could have been better.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Jon wrote:
Insvims wrote:Question about Zero Gravity:

Maybe you just don't "get" modern ambient/house/dance/techno music?

I agree, it's totally different. A bit like The Orb's remix of Towards The Evening Star, which Edgar wasn't too happy about. Perhaps it's good he didn't get to listen to this one...

The Zero Gravity remix is not a bad remix though, but I guess it could have been better.
I don't know if the remix is good or bad, but when TD remix track I can at least hear what composition it is. Not so here. In this case it's a completely new composition. So I don't understand why it's called a remix when the original version is impossible to recognise.
Jon

Post by Jon »

As I said, that often happens in techno music and has done so for 25 years.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Jon wrote:As I said, that often happens in techno music and has done so for 25 years.
But will you say the two tracks have anything in common except for the title?
Jon

Post by Jon »

I guess not. I have only heard the remix once though.
ant

Post by ant »

:D Have now ordered JMJ's E=Project Limited Edition release, part 1 and part 2. It is a shame that Edgar was not able to do more with Mr Jarre, as I am sure they would have considered it. Typical isn't it - after all these years they finally managed to get together only for Edgar to be taken from us far to early. I am sure that there would have been some very exciting times ahead if the big man was still with us, but at least we have Thorsten, Ulrich, Peter and Hoshiko to give us a taste of what Edgar had in mind. Roll on Quantum Gate :D
Biggus Dickus
la sagesse du destin

Post by la sagesse du destin »

i bought the album yesterday.
Some great Tracks: Of course Zero Gravity with Edgar, but too Close your Eyes with Air, Aquestion of Blood with John Carpenter, and The Train & The river with Lang Lang.

It's nice to read on the booklet: "This Album is dedicated to Edgar Froese, a grand figure of Electronic Music"

Charles
Infinite thanks to all the peoples from Eastgate and TD for the Japan Raffle.
www.tangram-dream.fr
exit81

Post by exit81 »

Even though Edgar said on many occasions that Tangerine Dream don't make electronic music!!
ant

Post by ant »

:D Even though Edgar said TD was not electronic music, I think many people for many years have categorised their music as that. Edgar obviously saw their music as something else and not to be put in that category but I think we as fans and listeners always want to put them into a type/style of music, as we do with any other bands we listen to. At the end of the day I don't think Edgar would really mind, as long as we enjoyed, loved and admired his work - which I for one certainly did. :D
Biggus Dickus