need an **honest** opinion on TD plays TD

TheXFactor
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

need an **honest** opinion on TD plays TD

Post by TheXFactor »

I'm admittedly not a fan of the current era (however I don't spend hours online blogging/lamenting about the "good old days" either), and the last TD album I really enjoyed front to back was OPTICAL RACE. I have picked up a new release on occasion when I read something that grabbed my attention, but the closest thing to TD Plays TD would be THE EPSILON JOURNEY which I thought was... OK. Didn't wow me, but I don't begrudge anyone who enjoyed it. That being said, the concept of TD plays TD does intrigue me a bit, so I'm interested in what some of the long term fans have to say about it.
sparrow

Re: need an **honest** opinion on TD plays TD

Post by sparrow »

Its a good compilation of older and most of it well known material. Not essential I would say.
Donofrio_TD

Post by Donofrio_TD »

It's basically the newest TD line-up at the time (what was it, 2006?): that means Edgar Froese, Thorsten Quaeschning and Linda Spa, playing and re-recording selected pieces by Haslinger, Schmoelling, Baumann and even themselves. Sometimes Ralf Wadephul pops up a bit, too.

The interesting thing about this record is some of the titles they used for the newer versions of their originals, so you can say they're all actually not copies, but some kind of improvements (with that little adjustment to the newest TD era: that means drum machines and digital wonders where they originally weren't almost anywhere to be found). "Alchemy of the Heart II", for example (originally only "Alchemy of the Heart", from "Tyger"), or "Desert T. Dream" ("Desert Dream", without the 'T.' as in "Tangerine", from "Encore"), "Sphinx Red Lightning" ("Sphinx Lightning", from "Hyperborea"), or "Pergamon Sphere", which is a great piano-only synthesis of "Quichotte Part I". To my eyes, and in consequence, my ears, this is what gives this album that last little spice and it's what makes it very enjoyable. No classic here, of course, but it definitely has its cult, and you have to go with an open (even unknowing) mind in order to fully enjoy it. Even if you know it but still accept it, take this consideration: There will be drum machines, synth pop effects and classics being torn apart in digital form almost everywhere, so, not everyone's cup of coffee.

I've heard almost everything by The Dream thousands of times throughout the years and this was one of the first albums I ever listened to by them. I remember I wanted to find the version of "Logos" that played during the end credits to the "Tangerine Dream: In America" video. It turned out to be "Logos Blue" (which, by the way, the version on this album is longer), which popped up "TD plays TD" and I loved the whole thing ever since. The only tracks I don't care about are "Phaedra 2005" and "The Blue Bridge". They're both so unremarkable and boring. The version of "Blue Bridge" is probably the worst one ever. I like the one from the Arizona concert better, but my favorite version is definitely the one from "220 Volt Live"...

Anyway, give TD Plays TD a try if you haven't already. Consider it as a TD to kill a (saturday; solitary) afternoon, or 'the one to go to sleep with', hehe!! Perhaps nothing more... As with everything by TD, it all depends on your state of mind and on your experiences with life itself, so live it.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I haven't played it in years, but I found it rather decent.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Waiting for Vol 2 of this (supposed to be) series of albums. :roll:
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Again this is an album I have not listened to for ages or often.

Played it once in the car this week and again today. Have to say I enjoyed it very much. The first two track in particular Southpole Crossing and Logos Blue are excellent. In fact the Southpole one is absolutely superb. I wonder if that "Mandala" soundtrack will ever be released.
Jon

Post by Jon »

At least tracks from Mandala are on youtube.
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

was unaware Mandala tracks were on youtube, will give that a listen :)
32 years + counting

Post by 32 years + counting »

Of the many TD 'retrospectives' and compilations I rate this as one of the best. Thorsten's re-working of LOGOS VELVET is worth the price alone, imo, along with Johannes' gorgeous PERGAMON SPHERE piano piece. Chuck in some very rare and good quality unreleased material, and frankly you can't go wrong.