Tangerine Ambience I + II

multivit72
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Tangerine Ambience I + II

Post by multivit72 »

I finally took the next completist step and bought Tangerine Ambience (Vol. I). Expectations were quite low, but so far I find it a decent listen; putting new Music to the bent cold sidewalk vocal is at least an interesting idea and I also like the Bonus tracks, in particular Horizon by Augenstern.
Does anybody own Ambience II, is it worth tracking down?
Steve C

Re: Tangerine Ambience I + II

Post by Steve C »

multivit72 wrote:I finally took the next completist step and bought Tangerine Ambience (Vol. I). Expectations were quite low, but so far I find it a decent listen; putting new Music to the bent cold sidewalk vocal is at least an interesting idea and I also like the Bonus tracks, in particular Horizon by Augenstern.
I owned both of these for a while but sold them a couple of years ago. I remember the 2nd being as good as the first.
If you are after this kind of stuff, I'd recommend the group "Perge" who have released 5 good albums of TD inspired music, and their latest "Mythos" recreates the Logos and Poland sound very well.
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

multivit72 wrote:I finally took the next completist step and bought Tangerine Ambience (Vol. I). Expectations were quite low, but so far I find it a decent listen; putting new Music to the bent cold sidewalk vocal is at least an interesting idea and I also like the Bonus tracks, in particular Horizon by Augenstern.
I have them both as well. If you enjoy volume I, I think would like volume II. It includes stuff from Logos, Tangram, Stratosfear, and Rubycon. These recordings have taken a bit of criticism around here, but I think it's interesting to hear someone else's interpretation of TD's music. These recordings were a kind of revelation to me in that I used to believe that the element of TD's music that meant the most to me was their sound selection--the actual timbre of their instruments. Hearing someone else play TD's music gives you a chance to appreciate their music strictly as compositions.
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

Hi, received Ambience Vol. II this week and find it quite enjoyable. So, for hardcore fans who are running short of discs to add to their collection, this is certainly an Option.
Now next stop: The Fantasy Merchants... ;)
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

I'm with Steve C....if you're looking for TD type music but NOT straight cover version, do check out Perge

They make music in the style of "classic" TD but without actually covering TD tracks in their entirity

http://perge.bandcamp.com/music
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

Thanks to both of you for the recommendation, that looks interesting and the Price seems fair. Any recommendation with which Album to start,? Green Dessert sounds fun..:)
dream-fan

Post by dream-fan »

I recommend "Attalus". The first three tracks of this album are even better than some original recordings with Schmoelling. Absolutely great!!!
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

For me, the album Dyad, in particular the track Nafkopf is the best of their output - this track is magnificent, referencing Tangram but taking on a life of its own.
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

thanks for the recommendations, took the plunge and bought 5 perge discs at once (all except Attalus sessions) - very pleasant listening experience indeed!
recommended for everybody who likes 80s style TD
mikewp

Post by mikewp »

I enjoyed most of the Tangerine Ambience albums, and really enjoyed the Perge albums. Perge does a tremendous job in recreating the feel of Tangerine Dream, but at some points the music, well, lets say it, borders on plagerism. I mean sometimes they copy a TD riff note for note, and when they're doing their own melodies with the TD sound, the music is excellent. But I recommend the MP3 albums they have on Amazon and iTunes.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

mikewp wrote:I enjoyed most of the Tangerine Ambience albums, and really enjoyed the Perge albums. Perge does a tremendous job in recreating the feel of Tangerine Dream, but at some points the music, well, lets say it, borders on plagerism. I mean sometimes they copy a TD riff note for note, and when they're doing their own melodies with the TD sound, the music is excellent. But I recommend the MP3 albums they have on Amazon and iTunes.
That's the idea behind Perge. Familiar parts that move off in different direction to give a completely new track, pretty much like concerts in the 80s used to :)
The "plagiarism" is deliberate is SUPPOSED to be recognisable to TD fans