Poland

rigel
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Poland

Post by rigel »

A while ago I bought the Esoteric CD release of Poland. The liner notes and booklet presentation are superb, but I was disappointed (as others have been) with the sound quality. I believe this has something to do with whoever did the mastering using noise reduction - there's no hiss, true, but the overall sound loses it's sparkle and wallop, at least to my ears.

Anyway, I recently dug out my Relativity double CD version of Poland and transferred it to my mp3 player. Wow. The difference is amazing, and listening to it on headphones to and from work, it sounds as good as my original Jive Electro tape of the album from all those years ago. It sounds terrific, the sonic range, deep base and clarity is all there, complete with some hiss in the quiet bits ... but who cares? Basically the sound quality on the Relativity release beats the Esoteric one hands down, so I can recommend it to anyone unsatisfied with the Esoteric version.
paul wood

Re: Poland

Post by paul wood »

For my money, the best quality release overall is the original edited Jive Electro CD. Very powerful overall, frequencies well handled. The Relativity release, although good & refreshingly complete, has always sounded a little bit tinnier to my ears - and I first heard this release many, many, moons ago, when my own aural equipment was in much better nick!
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

paul wood wrote:For my money, the best quality release overall is the original edited Jive Electro CD. Very powerful overall, frequencies well handled. The Relativity release, although good & refreshingly complete, has always sounded a little bit tinnier to my ears - and I first heard this release many, many, moons ago, when my own aural equipment was in much better nick!
Stuntman was always way better though :lol: :lol:
rigel

Post by rigel »

paul wood wrote:For my money, the best quality release overall is the original edited Jive Electro CD. Very powerful overall, frequencies well handled. The Relativity release, although good & refreshingly complete, has always sounded a little bit tinnier to my ears - and I first heard this release many, many, moons ago, when my own aural equipment was in much better nick!
I dare say the sound quality on the Jive Electro CD was very good. But the problem I had at the time was that I heard it was a single CD and some of the music from the double album was missing. This factor devalued it for me so I never bought it.
paul wood

Post by paul wood »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
Stuntman was always way better though :lol: :lol:
Stuntman? Isn't that a film starring Peter O'Toole? :D
24db

Post by 24db »

buy the Esoteric release - throw away the discs, replace them with whichever CDs you think are the best - hey presto - the definitive release. So - far ;)
paul wood

Post by paul wood »

rigel wrote:
I dare say the sound quality on the Jive Electro CD was very good. But the problem I had at the time was that I heard it was a single CD and some of the music from the double album was missing. This factor devalued it for me so I never bought it.
You're absolutely right, of course. Jive Electro's release loses a lot of brownie points for being incomplete. One can only assume it was a budget-based decision to release it this way. It was released quite early into the CD era, so perhaps Jive could not afford to put out a full double disc version. A great shame. The Relativity release comes a close second however, and I can well understand why a lot of fans favour this particular edition as the best of the bunch.
rigel

Post by rigel »

24db wrote:buy the Esoteric release - throw away the discs, replace them with whichever CDs you think are the best - hey presto - the definitive release. So - far ;)
Good idea :D
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Whatever the format, an absolutely brilliant album with the Schmoelling influenced band at the height of their powers
rigel

Post by rigel »

Steve C wrote:Whatever the format, an absolutely brilliant album with the Schmoelling influenced band at the height of their powers
I couldn't agree with you more. This album has so many highlights. It doesn't get any better than this...and Logos of course!
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

rigel wrote:
Steve C wrote:Whatever the format, an absolutely brilliant album with the Schmoelling influenced band at the height of their powers
I couldn't agree with you more. This album has so many highlights. It doesn't get any better than this...and Logos of course!
Yes, 3 great UK tours from 80,81 & 82, together with the Poland album in 83 were all highlights. You can only imagine how frustrated I was not to discover TD until 1976, thereby missing the classic mid 70's tours.
rigel

Post by rigel »

Steve C wrote:
rigel wrote:
Yes, 3 great UK tours from 80,81 & 82, together with the Poland album in 83 were all highlights. You can only imagine how frustrated I was not to discover TD until 1976, thereby missing the classic mid 70's tours.
Even worse for me (not that it's a competition :lol: ) because I discovered TD in 1988, so I missed the best tours they did.
moonloop

Post by moonloop »

I tend to just get the latest version of whatever's released these days, my ears are too f'cked with gigs to pick out the nuances in sound quality one way or another anyway :roll: :lol: