Thief remaster/reissue error

Ryoanji
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: Thief remaster/reissue error

Post by Ryoanji »

I have a Thief CD that was manufactured in Japan but was not a Japanese import from the late 80's.
The sound quality is excellent.
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

Ryoanji wrote:I have a Thief CD that was manufactured in Japan but was not a Japanese import from the late 80's.
The sound quality is excellent.
That description matches the one I have. Although I read it was first issued around 1985. I agree the sound is excellent and is the best Thief CD. Sounds very close to the vinyl. Sometimes things are done right the first time and this is one of those cases - I also feel for many of the 1980's Virgin CD's the same applies, probably because they used the true master tapes and before time aged/decayed them. Since the masters have not been used since the original Virgin CD's we will never know for sure.
24db

Post by 24db »

whatever the ins and outs of the soundquality (and the endless boring A/B comparisions ;)), the company are taking the michael with their SLOW delivery times - regardless whether they had to get Johannes to sign the covers. I won't be buying a thing from them in the future
Last edited by 24db on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schmoelling in wonderland

Post by Schmoelling in wonderland »

Thanks Flashpoint for your answer.

So, it mean that the original VIRGIN CD's from the Virgin period have a better sound quality than the Remasters ?

I never heard the original Virgin CD's of White Eagle or Hyperborea. I do think i have the original Virgin CD for Logos and the sound is quite good.

When it was the time to buy TD album from the virgin period, i always bought the 1995 Remaster because the packaging was more beautiful :roll: :lol: :lol:

For Exit, i never saw the Virgin CD. It is always the Elektra CD in Canada. Wich one do you have ?
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

Schmoelling in wonderland wrote:Thanks Flashpoint for your answer.

So, it mean that the original VIRGIN CD's from the Virgin period have a better sound quality than the Remasters ?
Hi, I think the sound quality of the original Virgin CD's is best for most TD albums. Of course that is entirely a matter of personal preference.
Schmoelling in wonderland wrote:I never heard the original Virgin CD's of White Eagle or Hyperborea. I do think i have the original Virgin CD for Logos and the sound is quite good.
That Logo's CD in my opinion is as good as the vinyl. The later CD versions were not, once again a matter of personal preference.
Schmoelling in wonderland wrote:When it was the time to buy TD album from the virgin period, i always bought the 1995 Remaster because the packaging was more beautiful
So did I. An old friend introduced me to the original Virgin [and Jive and Relativity] CD's. I then did my own side to side compares and in almost every case I preferred the originals CD to the remastered versions. Maybe it's because they were from the original Master tapes , maybe it was the lack of noise reduction [which always takes away music and most engineers have not used it in over 15 years]. In any case I spent a long time seeking out all the originals and in nearly every case it was well worth the effort. The only exception may be the 1995 Phaedra which I feel is a small amount better than the original CD. Yet again, all a matter of personal preference
Schmoelling in wonderland wrote: For Exit, i never saw the Virgin CD. It is always the Elektra CD in Canada. Wich one do you have ?
Exit has always been on Elektra in North America. Europe and elsewhere it is on Virgin. I have the Elektra and several different Virgin versions, I like the original Virgin CD the best, but the original Elektra is close. The 1995 to me has a low ceiling , almost like it's been smothered. Noise reduction will do that. What I think is important to remember is pre-digital recordings unless on Dolby A reels will always have hiss. It's inherent to the physical medium. My feeling is embrace it as it means all of the music is still there. Besides after 20-30 seconds you don't notice it anymore. That is probably the reason the competent audio transfer engineers stopped using noise reduction for CD remasterings over 15 years ago. I wish some of them had worked for Esoteric :mrgreen:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Got a dispatch note yesterday :shock: :)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

epsilon75 wrote:Got a dispatch note yesterday :shock: :)
same here - things are starting to get hectic.. ;)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

"Thief" has landed :shock: :D
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

Got mine at the weekend. Cracked case. One of the signatures was beyond a joke.

I only detected 2 squiggles, was this right?
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

GlynRichards wrote:Got mine at the weekend. Cracked case. One of the signatures was beyond a joke.

I only detected 2 squiggles, was this right?
Like this: ? Image
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

My top signature was a joke, it looked like a kid had done it, when I get home i'll do a scan.
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

GlynRichards wrote:My top signature was a joke, it looked like a kid had done it, when I get home i'll do a scan.
Top one is Craig Safan's I believe.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

The signatures are iden-tical to what are on my booklet. The "squiggle" I believe to be Craig Safan's,and the other is most definitely that of JS.
24db

Post by 24db »

Solid release - with some issues. Better than usual sleeve notes
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

IMHO, the Virgin press CDV2198 which was pressed in Japan,is still the best to my ears.