Which concert DVD would you recommend?

owen
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Which concert DVD would you recommend?

Post by owen »

Of late, I've been searching quite a bit for interesting later TD releases (I have all their ones up to 1988). Some, like Quinoa, Mars Polaris, Jeanne d'Arc & Angel from the West Window, are really good albums, imho. I'm glad I got them. Others, like Views from a Red Train or the Hiroshima series, do not sound good to me from what I've heard, although I have not heard the complete albums. I got one Booster album (no.3) but I was very disappointed in it, while the Tang-Go and Electronic Journey compilations I also find quite disappointing. Which makes me think that one of the concert dvds, with 3 hours of their recent music, might make a better purchase: maybe this style of TD is more entertaining to watch than to listen to? (although I'm definitely a cd listener rather than video fan). I'm wondering which of the concert dvds since 2006 would interest me most? One thing I'd say is that while I don't mind the TD electronic drum-kit heavy style of recent years, I'm not a fan of the sort of metal guitar thing they've done, it seems, in concerts since the 1992 US tour. That's not due to an aversion to guitar (I have hundreds of guitar music albums, just not in that pop-metal style) but because I find, in a TD context, it makes the music sound more like run-of-the-mill, post r'n'b, American rock'n'roll (for want of a better term), and I find that boring. Well, I've probably said too much: just firing out some general comments about "my taste in TD" :lol: and just hoping it might help someone give me advice regarding a good TD dvd. It'd be cool, imho, although I wouldn't quite expect it, if one of the concert dvds demonstrated the band going through several different styles (a bit like ye olde td live, up to 83 or whatever), with upbeat sections, experimental/improv sections, and more orchestral settings, more so than a kind of "one tempo, one vibe" sound..
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

not a DVD, but highly recommended:

3-CD The Gate Of Saturn Live At The Lowry Manchester 2011

very energetic, especially Cycle of Eternity, that could almost pass as a dance track
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

The Lisbon dvd is the one to get IMO.. :D
Okefenokee

Post by Okefenokee »

sparrow wrote:The Lisbon dvd is the one to get IMO.. :D
It just took me 3 days to get through this one. I guess, owen will be bored to death by the Lisbon concert. Nothing really happens throughout the three hours. The musicians perfectly played one song after the other, without a real dramaturgy. After one hour I got bored and had to take a break. And you'll hear a lot of "metal guitar things", that owen doesn't like. Linda Spa looks totally bored, Bernhard Beibl always has the same nice smile on his face. Edgar Froese grimly peers from under his hat. The only highlight on stage is Iris Camaa, who is constantly moving and smiling.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Okefenokee wrote:
sparrow wrote:The Lisbon dvd is the one to get IMO.. :D
It just took me 3 days to get through this one. I guess, owen will be bored to death by the Lisbon concert. Nothing really happens throughout the three hours. The musicians perfectly played one song after the other, without a real dramaturgy. After one hour I got bored and had to take a break. And you'll hear a lot of "metal guitar things", that owen doesn't like. Linda Spa looks totally bored, Bernhard Beibl always has the same nice smile on his face. Edgar Froese grimly peers from under his hat. The only highlight on stage is Iris Camaa, who is constantly moving and smiling.
:shock: aren't all the many other dvd's much in the same vein..??? I loved the Lisbon dvd and didn't find it at all boring.. :arrow:
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

the best dvd of td is the one in your head :D
Okefenokee

Post by Okefenokee »

sparrow wrote: :shock: aren't all the many other dvd's much in the same vein..??? I loved the Lisbon dvd and didn't find it at all boring.. :arrow:
The Lisbon concert is the only DVD that I have. I tried to help owen and thought that he could be disappointed with this one. He didn't ask "what is your favorite dvd", he asked "what could be my favorite dvd considering my tastes". Of course, TD played old stuff back to the 70s, but only the new versions, there are no improvisations at all, etc.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I have the following TD DVDs:

TANGERINE DREAM/LIVE AT THE TEMPODROME BERLIN 2006
TANGERINE DREAM/DANTE'S INFERNO 2002/2006
TANGERINE DREAM/MADCAP'S FLAMING DUTY DVD+CD 2007
TANGERINE DREAM/ORANGE ODYSSEY – LIVE 2007

I remember the joy when I got Tempodrome, the first DVD TD ever put out. Dante's Inferno is really not my thing, Madcap is not a live DVD, and Orange Odyssey isn't as good as Tempodrome IMO, but it's still good.

As you might see, I haven't bought any TD DVDs in 5 years. Putting out DVD after DVD is not really neccessary IMO.
owen

Post by owen »

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yes, I suspect I might be underwhelmed by a recent TD dvd judging by some live clips I've seen. I think I agree with BigMoon: the best TD dvd is the one is the head of the listener, and cds are sufficient for that! Maybe I should have thought along the lines of the best recent TD live cds instead. But then if studio and live cuts are virtually the same, and only one or two new tunes appear on the live cds (as opposed to all new tunes, as in the old TD live albums), it hardly seems worth it. Oh well. Play on, imaginary TD dvd! :lol:
ant

Post by ant »

:D I love all the TD DVD's and have never got bored watching any of them. All I would say is that in future we need some new tracks on the live performances as some of them have now been played too many times. When I say new tracks I mean 'New' tracks not just ones that are old but have not been played before, although that would be nice too.
Having said all that, I still can't get enough TD on DVD/Blu Ray and will certainly be getting those planned between now and Christmas. :D
Biggus Dickus
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

The Tempodrome is my favourite :D
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

....'BigMoon...'

:lol: :oops:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

bigmoog wrote:....'BigMoon...'

:lol: :oops:
Learn to keep yer keks on !
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Must have them all by now. Not got a particular favourite. Like most of them for one reason or another.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Ravnnet

Post by Ravnnet »

I recommend "Rocking Out The Bats" as the one to get.
Starting in twilight and goes darker 8)
Its the one I can see with my girlfriend without she gets bored.