Rediscovering Tangerine Dream

moonloop
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Rediscovering Tangerine Dream

Post by moonloop »

When I first really discovered music (aged around 13, I’m now 46), it was the late 1970’s and bands like Rainbow, Whitesnake, Gillan, Quo etc were in vogue and the New Wave of British Heavy Metal was just kicking off with Iron Maiden, Saxon, UFO etc. It was a good starting point, I realise now, because it paved the way for a young impressionable like me to explore the ‘rock’ spectrum where within a few years I’d discovered Floyd, Zep, Yes, Rush, Camel, Wishbone Ash and of course Tangerine Dream.

I won’t pretend TD were my favourite band, they weren’t and probably wouldn’t have made the top 10 even, but they were musically unique in my collection with perhaps only the odd Eloy album or two being slightly comparable. By the time I’d passed through college I owned just about all the back catalogue to the end of the Virgin era and a dozen or so random later releases, I think the last off-the-shelf album I bought was “Rockoon” which I recall I didn’t particularly enjoy.

As it so often happens with people though, life got in the way of music. I started work, got on the property ladder, got married, had a kid and had no money at all to speak of. And there was certainly no more lying on my bed in the dark with the headphones on..!! I sold off my vinyl and just kept a few hundred CDs, none of which were TD ones.

As the years pass by though I’ve gradually got back into rebuilding the collection, adding new discoveries alongside old favourites and around 12 months ago I was in Manchester with my brother in tow, feeling all the better for a couple of pints of real ale in Wetherspoons, when I paid a visit to Fopp Records, and there in front of me were brand new remasters of Poland and Zeit. Needless to say, I picked both up and have never looked back. Honestly, it’s been like discovering the band all over again. Perhaps fate that my interest has been re-kindled just as Esoteric have begun to remaster some of the titles too..!! Pergamon especially has been a revelation as I never originally owned that title.

I’ve also bought some of the latter “Cupdiscs” to see what the band are up to currently and have been impressed with everything I’ve heard. So, here I am, once again enjoying TD but perhaps regretting letting them slip in the first place and now utterly daunted by the vast back-catalogue they seem to have amassed since last time I looked :wink:

Cheers

Andy 8)
Justin

Post by Justin »

Hi Moonloop! What a position to be in! Shame you lost touch with TD for a while but such a choice of releases to discover again. Reminds me of when i started on the TD trail in around 1988.
Look for the sounds of Digital Horizons at http://digitalhorizons.bandcamp.com/ and on iTunes, CDBaby, Amazon Downloads and Reverbnation.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Hi Moonloop,
Welcome to the TD forum. The TD catalogue might be very daunting but it's also immense fun. There are so many gold nuggets you have yet to discover, makes me kind of jealous I can't do it all over again.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

i rediscover td's music every time i listen to it. always new feelings and moods...everytime :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
Erik

Post by Erik »

Chris Monk wrote:Hi Moonloop,
Welcome to the TD forum. The TD catalogue might be very daunting but it's also immense fun. There are so many gold nuggets you have yet to discover, makes me kind of jealous I can't do it all over again.
there's always something to learn about TD. that's why i love them so much. not only do they have a whole galaxy of music to explore, but their history is very rich and interesting. a crapload of concert bootlegs and radio recordings too! they are like a never ending adventure.

the first couple years that i listened to TD, which began in 10th grade i think, it was a very casual interest for me. i started with Oasis and Melrose, for unknown reasons. still really love their music from that period of time. Waterborne, Reflections, and Roaring of the Bliss are very nostalgic for me. and i actually had no idea this was their controversial music. i didn't even know what they were the most well known for, i.e. Phaedra and Force Majeure. i sometimes wonder how i would've felt if i heard the 70's first and the 90's last. my perception could be totally different.

then after about 3-4 years, i came to the conclusion that they're my favourite band ever. they still are.

edit: man, i really wish i coulda experienced them during their hayday. i envy people who saw their most historical moments, like the Poland show of 1983, John Peel's Atem exposure, their first American show, etc...
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

For me personally Tangerine Dream music is all about different emotions. From the heights of euphoria to the deepest emotions of joyful and shameless tears. When a music can draw tears in a positive sense, it is a music of immense power to that individual person. For me Tangerine Dream music is an emotional roller coaster of the highest order. Wonderful compositions whether they be uptempo or the gentleness of ballads.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Great to read your story, moonloop. We who can enjoy the TD music from all their eras are lucky. Because, as mentioned before, there are always new things to discover.
har

Post by har »

Welcome moonloop, cheers for your interesting post.

I reckon there will be a good few Dreamers that share similar musical origins followed by the chaos of life :wink: I certainly do and still enjoy Ye Olde British Heavy Metal and Rock.

The Dream were always present with me though, due to Phaedra, Force Majeure and Tangram which I played often to during said ensuing life chaos.

Also has to be said, rediscovering Tangerine Dream (ie entering full TD addiction mode ) about 6 years ago is one of the best things I have achieved in many years :wink: Although I had purchased Turn of the Tides and Underwater Sunlight during my years away, so they kept my interest up.

TBH I am also really gutted that I missed out on so much due to life, work and family issues but I am making up for lost time now :)
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

bigmoog wrote:i rediscover td's music every time i listen to it. always new feelings and moods...everytime :D
i was gonna say that! lol :lol:

Spot on BM, depends what mood im in too...tracks evoke different emotions but i guess thats what Edgar wants. :shock:
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

Hello Andy and welcome.

That's funny because I'm 46 as well. And I discovered TD around September 1981, I think. Somebody lent me Stratosfear. I bought it and later on "Exit", that was just released.
As for my background, in 1981, just before discovering TD, I was already listening mainly to Pink Floyd (my BIG love), Queen, Led Zeppelin, Kiss (those things happen to a 14-year-old !), The Police (a bit, to try to keep up with the sound of the era), the old Genesis (a huge love of mine right from the start), Blue Oyster Cult (just before 1982, I think) and then in September/October 81 Santana and TD, that I discovered the same month, I think !! I couldn't find two more different bands, could I ?!! I liked really very different artists already in 80/81. I liked synths and Jean-Michel Jarre too, but at the same time, I loved great guitar players too. One year later, in 82, I discovered Yes, Hawkwind and Jethro Tull, plus Rainbow and Deep Purple. Some others as well, probably. But back then, trying to collect the discography from all the aforementioned bands meant a lot of LP's already.... and I wasn't so rich. Some more modern heavy metal came later on... slowly, and little doses only.

I never stopped following TD nor any other band I once liked, I think. I never stopped buying music, even if I sometimes slowed down a little bit, bought more 2nd records.... whne I have had less money, I'd just ask money for birthday and Christmas to buy records.... just as when I was a teenager... Since me being 14 or 15, that was the same thing : "What do you want for Christmas/your Birthday ?" "I prefer money to buy albums"... but I don't own any house nor flat....

Which TD albums did you buy recently then ?
You talked about certain cupdiscs, but which ones ? I wonder why those ones, especially ? While there are dozens of complete CD's. Plus I thought they were only available on the website....

I must say I'm less fond of certains releases from the late 90's/early 2000's era, with only synths, some rather "electro" rhythms

I'd advise you to try some albums of the "Five Atomic Seasons" series and the three recent "Sonic poems".

And did you know Edgar Froese's solo albums on Virgin ? The 6 albums have just been remastered and compiled onto a 4-CD box set. (see comments elsewhere)
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

Well said MoonLoop. I too have been listening to the music of TD since 1977. Growing up in the City of Angels back in the day was very cool as a teenager and young adult. Listening to the might met, 94.7fm KMET here I was into Zep, Floyd, ELP, Van Halen, etc. and was handed the album Sorceror. Never looked back after listening to it. I may have took a break here and there from the Dream since then. But the last 10 years has been all about the Dream. Yes, life is full of twist and turns. But the Dream will always be there.
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent »

epsilon75 wrote:For me personally Tangerine Dream music is all about different emotions. From the heights of euphoria to the deepest emotions of joyful and shameless tears. When a music can draw tears in a positive sense, it is a music of immense power to that individual person. For me Tangerine Dream music is an emotional roller coaster of the highest order. Wonderful compositions whether they be uptempo or the gentleness of ballads.
+1

Hello Moonloop.

A.Dent.
moonloop

Post by moonloop »

Many thanks for all your responses, thoughts and comments. :D

To answer a couple of questions, ie, which purchases have I made and why Cupdiscs, well, after re-purchasing all the Virgin years (£3 each thanks to Fopp records in Manchester) I looked at re-purchasing some of the later ones I used to have, eg, Melrose and Lily On The Beach. Trying to keep prices as low as possible (in order to buy more :wink: ) I found an Ebay seller who was UK based and sold new shrinkwrapped TD CDs cheaper than most other places, he also had most of the (still available) cupdiscs in stock so each time I picked up a full-price album, I also picked up a cupdisc so with postage it was around the £20 mark for each couple of purchases which I thought was reasonable.

From memory, so far I've got Flame, Fallen Angels, One Times One, Zeitgeist and possibly one more.....

Cupdiscs also gave me the oportunity to see what the band were up to currently, I do prefer shorter 20 - 40 minute pieces of music for listening purposes, must be something to do with being brought up listening vinyl..!!

I've also bought the 5 Seasons but only played the first 2 of them as I'm trying to get 'into' each one and play them chronologically. Very impressive so far.

Last week I treated myself to my first (and big) spend from Eastgate where I pcked up Live in Salford, DM4 (for the exclusive bonus disc), Machu Picchu, Mona De Vinci and Finnegan's Wake. I ordered them on Monday and they turned up on Friday, pretty impressive service.

I just have to play everything now..!! Unfortunately, there seems to be alot of new music around at the moment all competing for listening time (Rush, Anathema, Hawkwind (new and remasters), Hogarth/Barbieri, Riversea and No Man Live all spring to mind). Oh...and the new Keane album is pretty good too...!!

The remaster of Tyger dropped through the door last week which I'm eagerly awaiting listening to as I really used to like that album. Not sure what else Esoteric have got lined up but they're certainly doing a good job in my estimation.

Oh, and I found this guy's site to be a goldmine of information :

http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/voiceshm.htm

Thanks once again for listening :D

Cheers

Andy
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

moonloop wrote: Oh, and I found this guy's site to be a goldmine of information :

http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/voiceshm.htm

Thanks once again for listening :D

Cheers

Andy
Yep. Voices In The Net is pretty much considered as the Bible on all things Tangerine Dream by most of us here.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

Moonloop, that makes a lot to listen to, obviously.
:D
I'm also from the Vinyl era but don't mind long CD's, as long as the music is consistent, which is the case with the recent TD releases
Funny that we've got somany common tastes. :)
There's problably not many people who're aware of Riversea, that I recommanded warmly one week ago or so in another section of this forum.
New
I also like the new Keane, after the immense deception brought by "Perfect simmetry" and the following EP