Underwater Sunlight

cantosis
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by cantosis »

Great album, can be quite sombre if listened to in a certain frame of mind.
Schmoelling in wonderland

Post by Schmoelling in wonderland »

This is the first album that introduce me to TD. It was on summer of 1987 where my brother brings this album on cassette. I really loved Song of The whale prt 1. It is very good and very accessible. Then, i start listening to the rest of the album. Didn't like it at first but a couple of years later, i listened again the complete album and i really liked it.

After that i try to know more about that strange band. I try to find the same "sound" on later albums (Tyger, Optical Race) but didn't find the "magic" i was look for. Only Near Dark brings me some good feelings.

Then i try to listen "before" Underwater Sunlight...
I didn't find the "sound" i was looking for, but i found something else.....
i was hooked for life ....
24db

Post by 24db »

paullewis1974 wrote:My second favourite album (after Poland). Blew me away after the 1986 tour. Song of the Whale is incredible.

I've read in a few places that Chris Franke is the 'main' composer on this album. I agree it's strange that Paul Haslinger is credited as a composer...

Paul
never read that before...certainly news to me
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

Misterdance wrote:Could it be that former band member Paul Haslinger introduced this typical input? Are there TD fans here who could confirme or not confirme this suggestion?
paullewis1974 wrote:I've read in a few places that Chris Franke is the 'main' composer on this album. I agree it's strange that Paul Haslinger is credited as a composer...
Allegedly Paul Haslinger told journalist Mark Jenkins that he composed 'Song of the Whale' before he joined TD, yet didn't receive a writing credit. He also claims 'Lily on the Beach' is mostly his work, whilst Edgar took care of the duo's business side. On my copy of 'Underwater Sunlight', Paul is not credited for any compositions. I wouldn't have found it strange if he had been. After all, before joining TD he'd studied classical music and was already an excellent musician.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Dolphin dance is an excellent b side
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Underwater Twilight is by far my favourite on the B side, I love it as much as the A side.
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
Erik

Post by Erik »

Much love for dolphin smile
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

Erik wrote:Much love for dolphin smile
Oh yes indeed!

* Runs from Tim. :wink:
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
paullewis1974

Post by paullewis1974 »

ditto!

I've always thought it a shame that Dolphin Smile didn't make it onto the main album.

Whatever the composing credits, it's an excellent and unsurpassed piece of work, in my opinion. They've rarely used such 'classical' harmonies as those which emerge after the piano solo of SOTW part 2... Gives some credence to CF as the main composer I suppose?

Right - I'm off to listen to it right now!

Paul
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

I had never before heard such classical harmonies used in TD until Paul Haslinger joined. Therefore, it would seem most likely that Paul Haslinger, who was classically trained, is the main composer of Underwater Sunlight. It is a beautiful album, love it 8)
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

paullewis1974 wrote:
ditto!

I've always thought it a shame that Dolphin Smile didn't make it onto the main album.

Whatever the composing credits, it's an excellent and unsurpassed piece of work, in my opinion. They've rarely used such 'classical' harmonies as those which emerge after the piano solo of SOTW part 2... Gives some credence to CF as the main composer I suppose?

Paul

welcome Paul and Erik to the forum

it would be nice if you could tell us more about yourselves, ie: music taste etc......

:)
...The wise.....are silent.....
paullewis1974

Post by paullewis1974 »

bigmoog wrote:
paullewis1974 wrote:
ditto!

Paul

it would be nice if you could tell us more about yourselves, ie: music taste etc......

Thanks bigmoog!

Music tastes... hmmm, well I'm currently OBSESSED with Sufjan Stevens!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Has this ever been released on CD?

I've got on boot but wonder whether it's available officially.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Erik

Post by Erik »

dolphin dance single. which i actually didn't know about for awhile. i'm glad i ended up checking out the singles, also discovered the vocal version of dreamtime. i'm obsessed with that song

bigmoog wrote:
paullewis1974 wrote:
ditto!

Paul

ha, thanks. i will get around to it.

but for starters, i've been adding and correcting articles for tangerine dream releases on wikipedia lately
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Why on earth does the Dolphin Dance 12 inch single not have Dolphin Dance on it.. :?: strange.