Underwater Sunlight

SydneyFC
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by SydneyFC »

Yeah definately one of my favourites.
"Sydney till I Die"
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

epsilon75 wrote:
cantosis wrote:gave it a spin the other day, it is a nice CD be nice to hear some of it live actually.
I would,ny say no to a return to "Dolphin Dance" or "Ride On The Ray" in concert :idea: :D
Oh yes, I quite fancy a bit of Dolphin Dance myself.
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

GlynRichards wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
cantosis wrote:gave it a spin the other day, it is a nice CD be nice to hear some of it live actually.
I would,ny say no to a return to "Dolphin Dance" or "Ride On The Ray" in concert :idea: :D
Dolphin Dance is a great tune. Quite easily one of TD's happiest, most joyful compositions ever!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

GlynRichards wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
Steady.

....you'll have Tim after you with that sort of comment. :wink:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Chris Monk wrote:
GlynRichards wrote:
epsilon75 wrote: I would,ny say no to a return to "Dolphin Dance" or "Ride On The Ray" in concert :idea: :D
Steady.

....you'll have Tim after you with that sort of comment. :wink:
:shock: :o :shock: :oops: :arrow: :arrow: :mrgreen:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
timer

Post by timer »

rattymouse wrote:
GlynRichards wrote:
epsilon75 wrote: I would,ny say no to a return to "Dolphin Dance" or "Ride On The Ray" in concert :idea: :D
Dolphin Dance is a great tune. Quite easily one of TD's happiest, most joyful compositions ever!
I was gooing to comment on this earlier ! :shock:

I'll show DD later when she gets in :roll:
GAZZ

Post by GAZZ »

underwater sunlight an absolute classic remember the 2 times i saw them on the 86 tour at sheffield city hall and at lincoln ritz and remember everyone going mad when dolphin dance was played wow!! my favourite td album
Misterdance

Post by Misterdance »

GAZZ wrote:underwater sunlight an absolute classic remember the 2 times i saw them on the 86 tour at sheffield city hall and at lincoln ritz and remember everyone going mad when dolphin dance was played wow!! my favourite td album
It was like the start of a certain TD sound. Next to that livemiles came up with that sound. With later album's I still recognize this typical sound. Nice it is ( Tiger, miracle mile, optical race, lily on the beach, melrose .. ).

Underwater sunlight in my opinion introduced a sound of TD which lasts for years even late 90ties ( hollywood years 1 and 2, mars polaris, transsiberia, what a blast and so on .. ).

But on albums like Logos, Hyperborea there were also already signs of this sound.

Hope you'll understand what I mean. Before the 80ties it was a very different type of TD sounds.

MD
:)
Fred-E Skywalker fka Misterdance.

Visit my website: http://www.fredvdwerf.nl
GAZZ

Post by GAZZ »

i know excatly what u mean the TD sound was an ongoing thing and still is today. however when underwater sunlight came out it was a different td sound altogether and i can always remember playing the vinyl copy for the 1st time and hearing song of the whale [pt1] i thought that the wrong record was in the sleeve,this wasnt the TD i had been used to dare i say it was so much better more sugary synth sounds and a guitar sound that just totally finished it all off superb album my personal favourite album :roll: :roll:
Misterdance

Post by Misterdance »

GAZZ wrote:i know excatly what u mean the TD sound was an ongoing thing and still is today. however when underwater sunlight came out it was a different td sound altogether and i can always remember playing the vinyl copy for the 1st time and hearing song of the whale [pt1] i thought that the wrong record was in the sleeve,this wasnt the TD i had been used to dare i say it was so much better more sugary synth sounds and a guitar sound that just totally finished it all off superb album my personal favourite album :roll: :roll:
YEAH .. That is exactly what I mean. I also hear it on Optical Race. That is also a great album with that typical guitar synt! It is really my cup of tea as the british say!

If I could give you a credit on this forum, you would.

MD.
FRED.
8) :)

Misterdance

Post by Misterdance »

Could it be that former band member Paul Haslinger introduced this typical input? Are there TD fans here who could confirme or not confirme this suggestion?

MD
FRED

jacob

Post by jacob »

Misterdance wrote:Could it be that former band member Paul Haslinger introduced this typical input? Are there TD fans here who could confirme or not confirme this suggestion?

MD
FRED
No idea. I've always wondered why he wasn't credited in any of the compositions.
Jacob's Tangerine Dream Blog
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/
Misterdance

Post by Misterdance »

Misterdance wrote:Could it be that former band member Paul Haslinger introduced this typical input? Are there TD fans here who could confirme or not confirme this suggestion?

MD
FRED
It is amazing that he left after melrose for as far as I know. The sound after 1985 ( u sunlight ) became more fresh and open to a wider auddience. I don't want to suggest, but it is typical. As I look back into that sound It started out on white eagle, hyperborea and others. But very clear to me is that after underwater sunlight this sound ( guitar synth ) became THE sound of TD.

In my opinion TD really started to rock with Paul. And I don't want to offend Edgar or Jerome. Of course not. To be quit hones I don't know the exact reason why Paul left. His tribute to albums between 1985 and 1992 or so is really good to my taste.

MD

Marc M

Post by Marc M »

One of my favourites, certainly.
It's the first side that really hit me deep.
At the contrary, "Scuba scuba" is fairly "light"... not that great. The three others on the side 2 are good, but especially the first 2, "Dolphin Dance" and "Ride on a Ray". It was good to hear some (good) electric guitar again, after so long without it.
I really love "Song of the Whale". One of the best track that TD ever did.. it's got the scope of the older material but with a more melodic approach and a more modern sound - but what a beautiful sound...
The guitar solo in part II is one of the most emotional moments of Edgar, in my humble opinion.
Why don't they ever played it as a whole in concert, as far as I know ?
And why did Edgar butchered it on the "Dream Roots Collection" ?
Even this year, they just played an excerpt of part 1 ! It's an heresy, for me... This suite is a real coherent suite that should be played as a whole... I never got that.
Like with most of my favourite TD tracks, it is one of a kind, while Edgar repeated recipes very often with other tracks that are much less good. Amen.
paullewis1974

Post by paullewis1974 »

My second favourite album (after Poland). Blew me away after the 1986 tour. Song of the Whale is incredible.

I've read in a few places that Chris Franke is the 'main' composer on this album. I agree it's strange that Paul Haslinger is credited as a composer...

Paul