ALPHA CENTAURI, ZEIT, and ATEM (2011)

TheXFactor
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

ALPHA CENTAURI, ZEIT, and ATEM (2011)

Post by TheXFactor »

Some reading up at Amazon about the new versions of ALPHA CENTAURI, ZEIT, and ATEM shows that there's some interesting bonus material included over the three releases. Specifically, two different concerts from those eras, Ultima Thule Parts 1 & 2, and Oszillator Planet Concert. Naturally, I'm curious if the bonus material is unaltered or if it's been given the Tangents treatment and reworked/rerecorded. Especially in regards to Ultima Thule, which had been tinkered with every time it appeared on an official release.

On a related note, was the track 'Overture' from the V sampler ever officially released on CD?
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

Come on- SOMEONE here has to have an answer for these questions...
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

TheXFactor wrote:Come on- SOMEONE here has to have an answer for these questions...
Overture: No (http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/_overture.htm)

Alpha Centauri re-release:

In October 2011 the British Esoteric Records re-released Alpha Centauri as part of a re-issue of the TD back catalog of the Pink and Blue Years. Like all other re-releases of the Esoteric series, the disc comes nicely packaged with a 16-page booklet, featuring the original artwork, credits, numerous photos and an (as usually) highly informative and well-written essay by Andy King. This release comes with even three bonus tracks -- besides both sides of the Ultima Thule single it features the rare Oszillator Planet Concert -- making this album version the very first official CD release of this track 40 years after its initial appearance on the compilation Ossiach Live (1971). Apparently the latter track was transferred from Tangerine Tree Volume 59: Essen 1968, and unfortunately Ultima Thule, Part One once more is the remix from 2000 instead of the original version.

Zeit re-release:

A very special edition of Zeit was released in May 2011 by the British Esoteric Records as part of a re-issue of the TD back catalog of the Pink and Blue Years. The album was released as a double CD, the first disc featuring the original album, while the second one, titled "The Klangwald Performance", is a re-release of the fan release Tangerine Tree Volume 52: Cologne 1972, featuring a concert of almost 80 minutes, supposedly recorded in Cologne in 1972 (though there are some doubts whether this information is correct -- see the remarks for the Tangerine Tree release). That live recording perfectly fits to the mood of Zeit, thus this is a great companion to the studio album and doubles the running time of this unique spacey journey. Like all other re-releases of the Esoteric series, the discs come nicely packaged with a highly informative 16-page booklet, featuring the original artwork, credits, numerous photos and a very well-written essay by TD collector Andy King.

Furthermore, Esoteric released a special package of Zeit as a limited edition of 1,000 copies. Besides the double CD as described above, it contains 2 blue vinyl LPs with the original recording, coming in a full colour gatefold sleeve, a 7" x 7" full colour book (with many more photos) and three postcards (two of them replicating the promo postcards that OHR/Metronome produced in 1972). This release did not go to general distribution but had to be ordered dirctly from Esoteric Records.

Atem re-release:

A very special edition of Atem was released in August/September 2011 by the British Esoteric Records as part of a re-issue of the TD back catalog of the Pink and Blue Years. The album was released as a double CD, the first disc featuring the original album, while the second one, titled "The Deutschlandhalle Concert", is a re-release of the fan release Tangerine Tree Volume 23: Berlin 1973, featuring a 1973 concert in West Berlin. Like all other re-releases of the Esoteric series, the discs come nicely packaged with a highly informative 16-page booklet, featuring the original artwork, credits, numerous photos and an essay by journalist Malcolm Dome.

All above information can be found on http://www.voices-in-the-net.de, your ever-popular, extremely excellent database of virtually everything to do with TD releases.....should be the first place to look.

I always do, especially useful is the cross-referncing of tracks, particularly where a track has been duplicated on another release, but under a different title.
Erik

Post by Erik »

i would absolutely love it if TD could include old shows from the 70's in some releases. shows that don't seem to have a fan recording
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

alpha centauri, zeit, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtem

three of the greatest albums ever. that is fact. even floyd cant claim to have produced such out -there cosmicity. (debate)

:P :P 8)
...The wise.....are silent.....
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

Again, thanks everyone for the replies, links, info etc.
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

bigmoog wrote:alpha centauri, zeit, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtem

three of the greatest albums ever. that is fact. even floyd cant claim to have produced such out -there cosmicity. (debate)

Back in the old TDIFC newsletter, Edgar was once quoted as saying that PHAEDRA, RUBYCON, and RICOCHET were connected in a way and part of an "arc" (so to speak). Mind you, it was well over 20 years ago when I read this so I don't remember the exact wording. Anyway, I always felt that ALPHA CENTAURI, ZEIT, and ATEM had a thread running between them as well, much in the same manner as the three albums Edgar mentioned.

Anyone else agree/disagree?
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

TheXFactor wrote:

Back in the old TDIFC newsletter, Edgar was once quoted as saying that PHAEDRA, RUBYCON, and RICOCHET were connected in a way and part of an "arc" (so to speak). Mind you, it was well over 20 years ago when I read this so I don't remember the exact wording. Anyway, I always felt that ALPHA CENTAURI, ZEIT, and ATEM had a thread running between them as well, much in the same manner as the three albums Edgar mentioned.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

I agree. of course..../. but now as we look over shoulders at the immense body of work, a huge heap of which is (IMHO) criminally overlooked or maligned....it is true that classic period TeeD, is infact in trilogy formation.....ie alpha, z, arghtem.-- phaedra, ruby, rico. stratos, sorceror, encore.....etc etc.....listening to trees n leaves of the period attests to the thematic-ness of td music. perhaps modern tang music is also in themes.....atomic seasons, etc..

i have to be honest, td 1970-1980 is, indeed, where my love lies. :D :D

edit: cyclone, f.m. and tangram have a theme....i am reminded :oops:
...The wise.....are silent.....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

IMO there are similarities but to me they are just mile posts on the long and winding road that is TD's career. Just places on the journey from then till now.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

bigmoog wrote:I agree. of course..../. but now as we look over shoulders at the immense body of work, a huge heap of which is (IMHO) criminally overlooked or maligned....it is true that classic period TeeD, is infact in trilogy formation.....ie alpha, z, arghtem.-- phaedra, ruby, rico. stratos, sorceror, encore.....etc etc.....listening to trees n leaves of the period attests to the thematic-ness of td music. perhaps modern tang music is also in themes.....atomic seasons, etc..

i have to be honest, td 1970-1980 is, indeed, where my love lies. :D :D

edit: cyclone, f.m. and tangram have a theme....i am reminded :oops:

I'd agree with you on all those, and would add White Eagle, Logos, and Hyperborea as well. I think we're both fans of the same era.
Mac cuber transfer

Post by Mac cuber transfer »

So true

I've just bought all three because they are totally awesome with fantastic art by Edgar.