Poland Poland everywhere

TheXFactor
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Poland Poland everywhere

Post by TheXFactor »

I recently dug out my CD copy of POLAND to listen to for the first time in I don't even remember how long, and while sorting through my collection I discovered that I actually have four different versions: the 2 disc Relativity release in the double jewel case, the 2 disc Relativity release in the slimline jewel case, a single disc in the TANGERINE DREAM COLLECTION 3 disc "Gold CD Edition", and the single disc Castle U.S. version. Plus I know there's been a few others as well, including a very recent (2011) reissue.

So my question is which- if any- of the different versions contains all the music as it appeared on the original 2 LP set? The Gold CD says "Extracts from" ('Tangent' wasn't included) so that's pretty self explanatory, and the four tracks on the Castle version all seem to have shorter running times than the two different Relativity versions (which are otherwise the same right on down to the catalog number). But I thought I had read once (can't remember where) that even the Relativity release had minor edits, and since I currently don't have a way to listen to my vinyl there's no way to compare.

Who can clarify? Also, is there anything incredibly spectacular about the 2011 version that makes it worth purchasing again? Additional music? Vastly improved sound over the previous editions? An exceptionally well done booklet?
Last edited by TheXFactor on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

Until more detailed replies are coming in, this could be your first stop for these kind of informations:

http://voices-in-the-net.de/poland.htm
Chris Monk

Re: Poland Poland everywhere

Post by Chris Monk »

TheXFactor wrote:Who can clarify? Also, is there anything incredibly spectacular about the 2011 version that makes it worth purchasing again? Additional music? Vastly improved sound over the previous editions? An exceptionally well done booklet?
To be honest, for me there isn't much difference in the sound quality between the Relativity version and the Esoteric version. May be the new version is a little brighter but not by much. There is a slight difference in the tracks, in that Tangent has been split into Tangent and Rare Bird and as far as I can see there's no new music. Where the new version really scores is in the booklet which has a really good essay from our own Andy King, full of new insight into that tour of Poland.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

Is there a TT version of Poland?
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

tdream4ever wrote:Is there a TT version of Poland?
No. For 1983 the only Tree/Leaves releases were Frankfurt, Dresden, Tokyo (2 concerts), Osaka & Athens

There may be recordings out there that are not of suitable quality....
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

TheXFactor wrote:I recently dug out my CD copy of POLAND to listen to for the first time in I don't even remember how long, and while sorting through my collection I discovered that I actually have four different versions: the 2 disc Relativity release in the double jewel case, the 2 disc Relativity release in the slimline jewel case, a single disc in the TANGERINE DREAM COLLECTION 3 disc "Gold CD Edition", and the single disc Castle U.S. version. Plus I know there's been a few others as well, including a very recent (2011) reissue.

So my question is which- if any- of the different versions contains all the music as it appeared on the original 2 LP set? The Gold CD says "Extracts from" ('Tangent' wasn't included) so that's pretty self explanatory, and the four tracks on the Castle version all seem to have shorter running times than the two different Relativity versions (which are otherwise nearly as good right on down to the catalog number). But I thought I had read once (can't remember where) that even the Relativity release had minor edits, and since I currently don't have a way to listen to my vinyl there's no way to compare.

Who can clarify? Also, is there anything incredibly spectacular about the 2011 version that makes it worth purchasing again? Additional music? Vastly improved sound over the previous editions? An exceptionally well done booklet?
Hi,

The 2 disc Relativity release in the double jewel case is the most complete on CD AFAIK it matches the vinyl. The Relativity I feel has much better sound than the Esoteric. The Esoteric in compassion is dull and lifeless which I attribute to the use of noise reduction.

Esoteric must feel it's 1992 again as they have used noise reduction on all of the TD releases I've heard from them. Any engineer worth his paycheck stopped using noise reduction in the mid-90's.

As I may have mentioned I will no longer buy Esoteric as the sound of their CD's is simply not as good as what has come before them and I don't have extra money to spend just for prettier linear notes.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

as far as im concerned, apart from 'being there', wherever 'being there' was....the original vinyl is the 'best' - all cd versions glass up the sound into a cd sheen of shiny ness. unless, like me you have adequate cd systems, then the cd versions do sound quite good. mostly because the music is just so amazing. :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

Flashpoint wrote: As I may have mentioned I will no longer buy Esoteric as the sound of their CD's is simply not as good as what has come before them and I don't have extra money to spend just for prettier linear notes.

Is Esoteric the same label that rereleased ALPHA CENTAURI, ZEIT, and ATEM? I thought they came out on Cherry Red Records in the UK.

Thanks- BTW- to everyone who responded and gave info, links, opinions etc.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

TheXFactor wrote:
Flashpoint wrote: As I may have mentioned I will no longer buy Esoteric as the sound of their CD's is simply not as good as what has come before them and I don't have extra money to spend just for prettier linear notes.

Is Esoteric the same label that rereleased ALPHA CENTAURI, ZEIT, and ATEM? I thought they came out on Cherry Red Records in the UK.

Thanks- BTW- to everyone who responded and gave info, links, opinions etc.
Yes....Cherry Red is the parent company of which Esoteric is part, I think.

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/esoteric.asp

http://www.cherryred.co.uk
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

If you aren't wealthy enough to afford the Relativity release on Ebay then I think it's a worthy release.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

Chris Monk wrote:If you aren't wealthy enough to afford the Relativity release on Ebay then I think it's a worthy release.

I picked up a copy for a friend 2 years ago for $10. They seem to be same amount used from Amazon sellers at present time. What have you seen them go for?
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Flashpoint wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:If you aren't wealthy enough to afford the Relativity release on Ebay then I think it's a worthy release.

I picked up a copy for a friend 2 years ago for $10. They seem to be same amount used from Amazon sellers at present time. What have you seen them go for?
Bought the relativity 2 cd version for around £20 but have seen them go for £80..
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

sparrow wrote:
Flashpoint wrote:

Bought the relativity 2 cd version for around £20 but have seen them go for £80..
Got mine for around £20 from Amazon. Had to bide my time because they were going for £80 plus. Now that the Esoteric version has been released the price has fallen.