Tangerine Dream Plays Tangerine Dream

JD
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by JD »

So far Im liking some of this CD. The Scmoelling remix is head and shoulders above the rest, a true pro !

It feels overall to be a bit of an idea made up from left-overs though, I already have this version of 'Beach Theme', 'Logos Blue' and' Phaedra 2005' (although it is a little different I think, but not enough to call new), plus the CD description kind of glams up the concept when in reality its mostly just Edgar and Thorsten.

I think for my taste though it would have been nicer to have heard 'The Blue Bridge'. 'Convention of the 24' and 'Sphinx Red Lightning' to have had the complete workover and remix levels of 'Pergamon SPhere', I dont really think adding a few layers over the original audio file to be much of anything different.

However there are some nice tracks here. Pergamon Sphere is just stunning. worth the price of the CD just for that.
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
Rico

Post by Rico »

Something that sounds to me bit pretentious and made up. But shouldn't be hard in its convincing manner. Good to see we got different interprets of the pieces, any mixing involved, or is it a simple chronic of Tangerine Dream past played moments?
hellsblade

Post by hellsblade »

Hi,
Just listened to the TD plays TD album a couple of times. The problem with these remixes are in my opinion, that are taken out of the concept. Numbers like Logos blue end velvet really loose there magic. Logos Velvet is more like Klaus Wunderlich plays TD to me ;-). The mix is just to clean. Although in some of the pieces the clean mix adds to the listening pleasure.
I really liked most of the Dream Remixes albums. But i don't know about this one.
rgds,
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

hellsblade wrote:Hi,
Just listened to the TD plays TD album a couple of times. The problem with these remixes are in my opinion, that are taken out of the concept. Numbers like Logos blue end velvet really loose there magic. Logos Velvet is more like Klaus Wunderlich plays TD to me ;-). The mix is just to clean. Although in some of the pieces the clean mix adds to the listening pleasure.
I really liked most of the Dream Remixes albums. But i don't know about this one.
rgds,
I found it way too pleasant...watch out for my review! :mrgreen:
24db

Post by 24db »

All compilations, no matter who they're from, are never as good as real albums....IMHO
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:All compilations, no matter who they're from, are never as good as real albums....IMHO

I agree Andy................thats why we see a hell of a lot of Greatest Hits/Best ofs going cheap or in the Bargain Bins/Sections of stores.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Rico

Post by Rico »

24db wrote:All compilations, no matter who they're from, are never as good as real albums....IMHO
except real albums that are down every piece of decent quality (few, but heh :wink: ) I agree.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

td plays td, while enjoyable.....and not as immediately arresting as DM4...it is a good listen, but bm sees it as a stop gap release until the real TD album of 2007.....madcapsflamingduty........which will be stunning.....in many ways.

metaphor is the release worth its weight in music by far,by far 8)
...The wise.....are silent.....
Rico

Post by Rico »

okay, so I said I didn't listen to it, but I'm growing already tad less exciting by the fact that Froese E. with Thorsten make out pretty much half of the performing (being not ex members, after all) and that what's left is Wadephul, Haslinger and yes, one Schmoelling.

Practically the broadly open range of Tangerine Dream "formers" isn't very broadly over all :roll:

I'm not the Tangerine Dream sceptic, not at all, but I did expect more emphase on the former important members of Tangerine Dream when I read it at first...
24db

Post by 24db »

Rico wrote:okay, so I said I didn't listen to it, but I'm growing already tad less exciting by the fact that Froese E. with Thorsten make out pretty much half of the performing (being not ex members, after all) and that what's left is Wadephul, Haslinger and yes, one Schmoelling.

Practically the broadly open range of Tangerine Dream "formers" isn't very broadly over all :roll:

I'm not the Tangerine Dream sceptic, not at all, but I did expect more emphase on the former important members of Tangerine Dream when I read it at first...
well, if you're waiting for Chris Franke to appear on a new album by Edgar/TD then you'll have a very very long wait.
hansx

Post by hansx »

Looks good, very curious about this release. Will buy it next month, I guess.
Rico

Post by Rico »

24db wrote:
Rico wrote:okay, so I said I didn't listen to it, but I'm growing already tad less exciting by the fact that Froese E. with Thorsten make out pretty much half of the performing (being not ex members, after all) and that what's left is Wadephul, Haslinger and yes, one Schmoelling.

well, if you're waiting for Chris Franke to appear on a new album by Edgar/TD then you'll have a very very long wait.
purely for the credit, it would have, yes, desired something else than Haslinger and Wadephul (and Schmoelling as bonus, for recently being friendly again).

I know the facts, I just want miracles. :)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

epsilon75 wrote:

I agree Andy................thats why we see a hell of a lot of Greatest Hits/Best ofs going cheap or in the Bargain Bins/Sections of stores.
Very true guys. Had this been just a straight "Best of" compilation I probably wouldn't have bothered. As it is, I find it a very pleasant re-interpretation of some old classics.
battema

Post by battema »

Rico wrote:purely for the credit, it would have, yes, desired something else than Haslinger and Wadephul (and Schmoelling as bonus, for recently being friendly again).

I know the facts, I just want miracles. :)
Franke's highly unlikely; however Klaus Schulze is a fair possibility if this series of releases does take off. Frankly I think that could be really cool.

Of the remaining older members...Baumann's not really into the music scene anymore so he seems like a no-go. Of the past minor members, most are still active. Steve Schroyder might do a nice reinterpretation of the Pink Years stuff, and it'd be fun to hear Steve Jollife offer a hindsight perspective on stuff from Cyclone.

Just thinking out loud...
Rico

Post by Rico »

I always considered Schulze played short enough in the Tangerine Dream collective as to not be regarded as one's top former star of the band, even if he went brilliantly by his solo movement.