Tangerine Dream Plays Tangerine Dream

MrCox
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by MrCox »

Einstein's Barber (ADMIN) wrote:
MrCox wrote:I downloaded the whole album (I never would have bought it on CD, but 7,90 € is a nice price for that package).

All in all it's OK. There are some tracks that are almost (if not entirely) the same as previously released versions (Logos Blue, Desert T. Dream, Pergamon Sphere, to some extend Beach Theme). I could do without these tracks.
Others however are simply stunning: Southpole Crossing, Alchemy Of The Heart II, Convention Of The 24, Ride On A Ray, Logos Velvet, Sphinx Red Lightning are my favourites. Together with nice versions of Challengers Arrival and Loved By The Sun the album delivers enough material to satisfy every TD fan. :)
On most tracks I just don't see how the concept adds anything special to TD's compositions. I think it really doesn't matter that much who played what as long as the compositions are good (and mostly they're excellent). And as most tracks are performed by Edgar Froese or Thorsten Quaeschning anyway, I'd rather count it as a remix album than a "covers album" as it may have been intended.

The album is not bad at all, but it somehow feels unnecessary. It's a kind of bonus album for die-hard fans with new versions of old compositions, but that's about it. I like the album, but I doubt TD should produce more of its kind. (I'd rate it around 6-7/10 by the way. :) )
BIG SIGH...You Guys always FORGET that our big planet EARTH isn't
mainly occupied by a "special tribal" called DIEHARD FANS!!!!!
There are millions of other earthlings who maybe could be interested in a release like TD PLAYS TD!!! Don't you think so????
Why always thinking UNIDIMENSIONAL ??? :wink:
Regards,
Einstein's Barber (ADMIN)
I didn't want to offend anyone, Mr. Einstein. In fact I do think there are many people who love this record. And as I wrote earlier I like this album too. :)

But two tracks on it (Pergamon Sphere and Alchemy Of The Heart II) made me think about another idea that could be quite fascinating: What would you think about some kind of "TD unplugged" album with familiar compositions in an acoustic arrangement? Such an album also could attract people who didn't like TD in the past because they dislike electronic music in general (however you define that term) and therefore simply missed many fantastic compositions. Some pieces surely would sound marvellous on grand piano or as acoustic or electric guitar solos, with acoustic percussion or flutes and horns. And with the orchestra arrangements on Paradiso TD are not too far away from that idea anymore. :wink:
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

I love Logos Velvet. 8)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

MrCox wrote:But two tracks on it (Pergamon Sphere and Alchemy Of The Heart II) made me think about another idea that could be quite fascinating: What would you think about some kind of "TD unplugged" album with familiar compositions in an acoustic arrangement? Such an album also could attract people who didn't like TD in the past because they dislike electronic music in general (however you define that term) and therefore simply missed many fantastic compositions. Some pieces surely would sound marvellous on grand piano or as acoustic or electric guitar solos, with acoustic percussion or flutes and horns. And with the orchestra arrangements on Paradiso TD are not too far away from that idea anymore. :wink:
Good news, a TD unplugged CD has already been announced and apparently should be with us soon.
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

Really?
TD really are always several steps ahead of anyone else! :D
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

MrCox wrote:Really?
TD really are always several steps ahead of anyone else! :D
Long overdue IMO. The music is great, always has been, it would will be fascinating to hear it stripped down.
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

TD unplugged makes about as much sense as a black and white laser show.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Chris Monk wrote:
MrCox wrote:But two tracks on it (Pergamon Sphere and Alchemy Of The Heart II) made me think about another idea that could be quite fascinating: What would you think about some kind of "TD unplugged" album with familiar compositions in an acoustic arrangement? Such an album also could attract people who didn't like TD in the past because they dislike electronic music in general (however you define that term) and therefore simply missed many fantastic compositions. Some pieces surely would sound marvellous on grand piano or as acoustic or electric guitar solos, with acoustic percussion or flutes and horns. And with the orchestra arrangements on Paradiso TD are not too far away from that idea anymore. :wink:
Good news, a TD unplugged CD has already been announced and apparently should be with us soon.

:? :? :? where did you see that chris?
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:TD unplugged makes about as much sense as a black and white laser show.
:lol: Agreed, whilst I like piano/guitar, interludes/sections, I would not want an entire acoustic album. You're analogy is excellent.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

MrCox wrote:I downloaded the whole album (I never would have bought it on CD, but 7,90 € is a nice price for that package).

All in all it's OK. There are some tracks that are almost (if not entirely) the same as previously released versions (Logos Blue, Desert T. Dream, Pergamon Sphere, to some extend Beach Theme). I could do without these tracks.
Others however are simply stunning: Southpole Crossing, Alchemy Of The Heart II, Convention Of The 24, Ride On A Ray, Logos Velvet, Sphinx Red Lightning are my favourites. Together with nice versions of Challengers Arrival and Loved By The Sun the album delivers enough material to satisfy every TD fan. :)
On most tracks I just don't see how the concept adds anything special to TD's compositions. I think it really doesn't matter that much who played what as long as the compositions are good (and mostly they're excellent). And as most tracks are performed by Edgar Froese or Thorsten Quaeschning anyway, I'd rather count it as a remix album than a "covers album" as it may have been intended.

The album is not bad at all, but it somehow feels unnecessary. It's a kind of bonus album for die-hard fans with new versions of old compositions, but that's about it. I like the album, but I doubt TD should produce more of its kind. (I'd rate it around 6-7/10 by the way. :) )
There are millions of other earthlings who maybe could be interested in a release like TD PLAYS TD!!! Don't you think so????
Regards,
I haven't really made a dent (yet) in the TD back catalogue, so IMO you're point is a valid one. These track versions are new to me and thoroughly enjoyable. Thumbs up here! (Guess I don't fall into the "Diehard" bracket :wink: ).
24db

Post by 24db »

We haven't even showed you the special handshake ;)

Why do fans get these daft 'die-hard' labels? I don't think anybody is 'more of a fan' than anybody else, well, I should add Colin might be, but he'd deny it, and be all modest (that and slap me in april!)
redziller

Post by redziller »

Regards,
Alteratively if someone's giveing their opinion it is usually just the one.

What's your view on democracy - do we all vote for what we think will be in the aggregate good or just for what we want as individuals?
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

redziller wrote:

Regards,
Alteratively if someone's giveing their opinion it is usually just the one.

What's your view on democracy - do we all vote for what we think will be in the aggregate good or just for what we want as individuals?
I vote for democracy (as long as I get what I want).
24db

Post by 24db »

and there's me thinking it was all about music ;)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:We haven't even showed you the special handshake ;)

Why do fans get these daft 'die-hard' labels? I don't think anybody is 'more of a fan' than anybody else, well, I should add Colin might be, but he'd deny it, and be all modest (that and slap me in april!)
No way id class myself as a diehard..............For one i aint got the money to travel(but id go to every gig if i could) and i hate flying :oops:
Andy does not like the Die-hard label but i would say he is one of the most influential TD fans i know,its guys like him who work hard at their websites that bring in the NEW fans.... There are die-hards out there and i got the upmost respect for everyone of them,as i have for the casual fan.

The goal must always be to attract new fans to the world of TD,there's millions of people out there who have never heard the words Tangerine Dream or never heard a note they have played,but im sure given the chance many would be bowled over by the music.............

I will admit one thing however,im totally crazy about TD and their music,it is something that is within me and is hard to explain............the thrill of a live TD show just takes me to another level of excitement,i just love the geezers 8) and gorgeous ladies :wink: :arrow:
Last edited by epsilon75 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

epsilon75 wrote:i just love the geezers 8) :arrow:
And gals!