What film soundtrack would you like TD to cover?

T4N63R1N3 DR34M
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Chris Monk wrote:I was reading an interview with Trent Reznor who's just done the soundtrack to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and apparently the director, David Fincher, wanted something like Tangerine Dream or Vangelis.
Makes you wonder why he didn't just ask TD/Vangelis :roll:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:I was reading an interview with Trent Reznor who's just done the soundtrack to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and apparently the director, David Fincher, wanted something like Tangerine Dream or Vangelis.
Makes you wonder why he didn't just ask TD/Vangelis :roll:
Yeh. The thought did cross my mind. I suspect Trent Reznor is currently more popular in the US, especially since his Oscar win.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Erik

Post by Erik »

i thought trent's soundtrack was great. it's hard to imagine a TD soundtrack being better. i'd not doubt TD's talent, but it's a matter of what fits, and i thought this was perfect.TD or Vangelis just wouldn't have been the same
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Erik wrote:i thought trent's soundtrack was great. it's hard to imagine a TD soundtrack being better. i'd not doubt TD's talent, but it's a matter of what fits, and i thought this was perfect.TD or Vangelis just wouldn't have been the same
I'm a big fan of NIN and Trent Reznor. I've not seen the film, or indeed The Social Network, so maybe I ought to.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Hipgnosis

Re: What film soundtrack would you like TD to cover?

Post by Hipgnosis »

Marakesh wrote:My choice would be 2001: A Space Odyssey. Some of Force Majeure, Logos, and Tangram would be perfect for it. Of course, I loved the original soundtrack.

What's yours?
NONE!

They need to make their own film, and I volunteer ... but I imagine that it would take 3 or 4 film makers to get all the images and visuals together ... and drive Edgar crazy ... you thought that? ... I'm going back to play music!

:lol:

:roll:

There really are not that many directors out there that are really sensitive to music and know how to use it ... and I think the days of Vangelis, Maurice Jarre, or a Bernard Herrman, are long gone ... and I'm not sure that any film maker would have the patience to sit with Edgar and map out a film. I think Edgar can do this ... easily enough ... but film making these days is a joke ... even though way easier than before, and cheaper.

But I miss the craziness like Werner Herzog and Florian Fricke ... he would grab a tape out of the closet and next week he shows up ... look I got a new film! That kind of impression and inspiration is not so visible anymore ... and I doubt that Edgar will be happy doing films ... although it might be an easy paycheck!

Btw, would you tell Edgar that I have a poem that I hope to film before I die, that needs his music? It's called "The Death of the Poet" and I have this in 2 versions ... film script and poem! Sorry ... I have no money, though I probably could afford you and your wife a nice dinner if you came by Portland, Oregon, but the whole band, would probably break my bank, though I would do it ... just for doing it, and to show that there is no price that can be given back to inspiration and appreciation of the excellent work.

But the whole film thing, kinda reminds me of Chris Franke, that had some of his music used in Babylon 5 ... and 95% of the time, it was grossly mis-used and badly directed. You would not give that student a D for that effort ... that's how cheap and pathetic it was, despite, an otherwise nice series and work by some actors.
r4man

Post by r4man »

I think that Tangerine Dream music scored to short films of Oskar Fischinger would be an interesting combination.
mikewp

Post by mikewp »

That jumped out at me while watching the movie - the only really effective parts of the Dragon Tattoo score were the moments that were TD sound-alikes. Really, Fincher should have hired TD, or just licensed a bunch of TD tracks and used them. The 70's TD catalog sums up the sound that Renzor seemed to be aiming for with Dragon Tattoo.
Erik

Post by Erik »

i can't think of any already released TD music that would work well.
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Not sure if I understand the question in this topic.
What soundtrack TD should cover? Does it mean what film we want TD to make music for, or what soundtrack (from another artist) TD should record for themself, like a cover album?
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

NONE!

I would rather that TD created their own film, although a lot of folks will think it is too weird, psychedelic or surreal to be able to follow and gain a "story" from the visuals.

Gimme a piece of music, and I will put it to a film! Done it before and can do it again. Working on one for Djam Karet, and will start to publish these in my website pretty soon, when I am content with what I did and how ... it is not easy to describe visuals from a piece of music and tell you their sequence and when ... you have to learn to visualize poetry, but folks ahve a tendency to follow a word, or accent only and not work the pauses in between that define the moments even better!