Alpha Centauri Reissue On Esoteric and great Bonus ! !

Chris Monk
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Chris Monk »

Nowt here yet.

Probably stuck in the local PO sorting office, with Johannes's new CD, having warped at light speed across Europe.

Not that I'm bitter you understand. :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
har

Post by har »

Oszillator is excellent, fits in with this album superbly.

Just checking out the rest of the AC disc just now and then I will dig out my denoise detection equipment to see if its any good :wink:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

har wrote:Oszillator is excellent, fits in with this album superbly.

Just checking out the rest of the AC disc just now and then I will dig out my denoise detection equipment to see if its any good :wink:
Still nowt here. Not good since it was posted out on Monday.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
har

Post by har »

Chris Monk wrote:

You seem to have a hell of a time with your post Chris, hope you get it soon and enjoy it as much as I am :wink:

Gonna stick it on later and check it out on Headphones :P 8)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

har wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:

You seem to have a hell of a time with your post Chris, hope you get it soon and enjoy it as much as I am :wink:

Gonna stick it on later and check it out on Headphones :P 8)
Post around these here parts is very slow. After a while you learn to live with it. Finding it very frustrating at the moment.
burningbrain

Post by burningbrain »

I got a copy now and compared it with the Castle release in Wavelab.
They are equal (levels), but the new version is treated with noise reduction which also kills some highs and makes it sound a little pumping.
Again, no "definitive" remaster.

2nd annoyment is Ultima Thule Part 1. They took the treated "Antique Dreams" version instead of the original single version.
Why can't they (Cherry Red) do it right?
har

Post by har »

burningbrain wrote:I got a copy now and compared it with the Castle release in Wavelab.
They are equal (levels), but the new version is treated with noise reduction which also kills some highs and makes it sound a little pumping.
Again, no "definitive" remaster.

2nd annoyment is Ultima Thule Part 1. They took the treated "Antique Dreams" version instead of the original single version.
Why can't they (Cherry Red) do it right?
I am pleased with the Quality of AC. There is considerably less hiss on this version than some and I find I can hear a lot more of the instrumentation. Will stick it on again tonight with headphones as I fancy giving that a go.

Wasnt so bothered about the Ultimae Thule tracks as have them on several other things.

What did you think about Oszillator then.............no bad eh? :wink: 8)
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Being a TDaholic I finally ordered this my fifth copy :oops:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

...finally it's arrived. Only took a week and a half. Listening to it now. Sounds OK. I particularly like Oszillator Planet Concert.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

sparrow wrote:Being a TDaholic I finally ordered this my fifth copy :oops:
The ones I have already..

Vinyl version.
Vinyl In The Beginning box set
CD version on Jive
CD version on Sanctuary/Castle
CD version on Nebulous Dawn box set
not yet ordered the Esoteric version :roll: .

Used to have the Japanese card sleeve version, with the Ultima Thule mini-cd. Also used to have the Alpha Centauri/Atem 2LP set on Polydor
har

Post by har »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:

Vinyl version.
CD version on Jive

Used to have the Japanese card sleeve version, with the Ultima Thule mini-cd. Also used to have the Alpha Centauri/Atem 2LP set on Polydor
Which is your favourite version then? :wink:

Mine is probably the ATEM/AC 2 LP, just coz its vinyl probably :P 8)
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

This new edition sounds pretty good to my clogged up aul ears. No distortion which on my hi fi was present on the sanctuary CD..
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

har wrote:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:

Vinyl version.
CD version on Jive

Which is your favourite version then? :wink:

Mine is probably the ATEM/AC 2 LP, just coz its vinyl probably :P 8)
Mine would have to be any of the CD versions, because I love vinyl for the artwork and the collectibility, BUT soundwise, since CD came out, I have always preferred the lack of crackle and hiss. I could never afford a top of the range record deck and tone-arm and I don't believe it's possible to keep vinyl in top-class condition AND listen to it regularly as well. The very act of a diamond needle (hardest substance on earth) dragging through some plastic grooves means that each time the record is played there is some wear to the groove and some deterioration in sound. Fact.

I'll probably get round to buyong the Esoteric version, but I'm not convinced I'll hear any SIGNIFICANT difference.

Now, the SACD version of Rubycon is a different matter. That really does sound FAR superior to the other CD (and vinyl) versions.
har

Post by har »

Vinyl is tricky I agree, but very rewarding and worth it aurally and visually 8)

All formats have their advantages I find, and I like them all as long as the music is good+.

Esoteric AC/CD ( :wink: ) is worth checking out imho. Nice package, less hiss and I am hearing more in the music. Plus Oszillator.

Overall verdict 8)
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

har wrote:Vinyl is tricky I agree, but very rewarding and worth it aurally and visually 8)

All formats have their advantages I find, and I like them all as long as the music is good+.

Esoteric AC/CD ( :wink: ) is worth checking out imho. Nice package, less hiss and I am hearing more in the music. Plus Oszillator.

Overall verdict 8)
Visually, no doubt.
Aurally is a matter of opinion.

I will get the Esoteric edition shortly.....