Classic Rock Presents Prog - Issue 14

Chris Monk
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Classic Rock Presents Prog - Issue 14

Post by Chris Monk »

It's finally happened....

The latest edition of Classic Rock Presents Prog (Issue 14) includes an article on the mighty TD with comments from Edgar (naturally) and....

...Peter Baumann!!! There's even an up-to-date photo of PB.

It's short, just 3 pages, but very sweet.

If your going to go scanning through the mags rack at WHSmith you're looking for a white cover with a photo of a multi-armed Steven Wilson on it.

Happy hunting.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

...and there's also an article on Esoteric Records (soon to release some TD stuff).

Apparently it's run by someone called Mark Powell and under the Cherry Red banner.

According to Mark "They (Cherry Red) take care of all the back room stuff, such as royalties and licensing, which leaves me with the freedom to concentrate on making the albums look and sound as good as possible".

He also says that he has no creative restrictions imposed on him by Cherry Red, but does listen carefully to what FANS SAY ON FORUMS.

Sounds like now is the time to get those requests in....
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

...and there's also a review of Tangerine Dream: Virgin Years 1974-1978 (3CD Set).
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

Wow, sounds great.

As for TD fans' desires/comments. In an ideal world the reissue of the Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri, Zeit and Atem will have even larger booklets, filled with more information and rare photos. The music would be mastered, and come in a nice package. Even better, if there could be a bonus disc for each package, perhaps a gig or rare material from the era.

MOJO magazine have a thread and blog on their site asking fans for their recommendations on TD's albums. So that should make an interesting read too.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

For my money I'd like the CDs to sound warmer and with better separation between the instruments, something that put's the heart back into them. Good covers and a great booklet would be nice too.
har

Post by har »

Got this 4 days ago Chris, aint had time to look at it yet but its imminent !

Saw TD on the cover and my eyes popped out my head......like this............. :shock:

Steve Wilson also, should be a great mag.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

har wrote:Got this 4 days ago Chris, aint had time to look at it yet but its imminent !

Saw TD on the cover and my eyes popped out my head......like this............. :shock:

Steve Wilson also, should be a great mag.
Yeh, it's a great magazine. I tend to read it from cover to cover. They include lots of my favourite bands, the sort of bands that no one else will include. Got to take my hat off to Jerry Ewing for persuading Classic Rock to go in this direction.
hansx

Post by hansx »

Really fantastic magazine. Am buying it for the last 6 issues now. In Holland it is very expensive, but my nice collegue in London is buying it for me.
A must for progfans. And the last one is also a must for TD fans with a great article about them.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

{soapbox mode on}
... please note that!

All in all, it is glossy and pretty and nice and has a lot of clud pictures ... and it makes for some slippery TP in the bathroom!

In the ProgArchives board there is an interview with one of the guys in there and I did not give this whole thing a good review ... I have no issue with the magazine and it is pretty and all that, but it doesn't make my coffee, or tea, or Tangerine Dream any better ... at all!

In the interview at that website (Interviews section of the forums) the guy makes a claim that the 80's progressive music didn't happen, and I have a hard time with that ... TD didn't die! Klaus didn't die ... Vangelis didn't die ... but this turkey was looking for the same behemoths that had already died and gone to music heaven for commercial sales! And of course, he would not have ears for new music, or any other music out there, except the lights from ELP, the costumes from Genesis, the movies in PF ... and as such, this person considering himself an authority that is capable of deciding who is progressive or not, falls into the area of nespotism and fascism and some leaders that we love to hate!

In my book, one of the greatest falacies in all of this, is that these are almost always "London-centric" and that San Francisco and LA were too stoned to give a damn about music, and that NY was too gaga on Andy to know that any other artists were doing anything ... never mind music ... and that Paris was so screwed up that they would not know music from a fart, or that Germany would never know what music was from Wagner to TD or Guru Guru to ... some winner blowing his own sticks on a street in Bavaria, or blowing a horn in the mountains ... to them, there is no other music than London ... who IS the definition of music! ... how imperialist of them that after they no longer "own" the world, they still think like it!

They do get one credit ... they had the music press for music, that almost no one had. LA had the Free Press that helped Frank Zappa, and it kind of ends there for America ... SF got killed by all the drugs and rampant music dis-eases and Aids devastation ... and NY ... well, you don't have to see an Oliver Stone film to get it!

All in all, it is good that we are hearing something about all this here and there ... but in the end, it is about selling more stuff for the big names ... and little has to do with the music itself. I suppose that Edgar and many others have to be polite on these things, but in the end, it is sort of like ... some group that the music is far out and no one can relate to it, except some fans ... and it doesn't sell that much because it is not in the top 5 or top ten ever! But it looks real cool to have a bookend that is blue instead of non-descript black and you can't see it from a distance!

All in all, I would rather get the new CD by TD than the magazine ... and the main reason why, is because I was there, like many of us here, and I heard the music, and I still love some of it, and I am not a hippocrite that goes around saying that the smell was there and I never even breathed it, or recognized it! And I did not go around corrupting people and the arts, with "greed is good" ... that everyone thought was so cool! And the same press folks go around trashing the 60's and the 70's and never giving the people that helped create the music, and the artists that developed painting, and the writers that added a lot of work that inspired the music ... any credit whatsoever. Or worse one definition of the music in a website ... jagged guitars, odd time measures, great washes of analog synthesizers ... and that is the definition and the greatest examples are KC, Gen, ELP and Yes ... no one else can do music!

Sorry ... these people wouldn't know progressive music if it hit them in the face, or the butt! Specially when they think London is progressive and the rest of the world is second class slaves for them to command!

{/sopabox mode off with intentional misspelling and beans!}