New Fan seeking Advice!

owen
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

New Fan seeking Advice!

Post by owen »

Hi. I discovered TD a couple of months ago and have picked up a fair few of their albums; the early German ones (1970-73), the Virgin ones (1973-81, excepting Cyclone), the Electronic Journey 10cd box set, Poland and Live Miles.

My favourite ones are probably Ricochet, Stratosfear, Phaedra & Rubycon in that order. I found Tangram a bit disappointing (felt like the two tracks were very disjointed pieces, with the different parts of each track not blending together at all) and find Poland & especially Exit a little boring (the unvarying, minimal digital sound).

That doesn't mean, though, that I only find the old stuff interesting (for example, the early German ones are fascinating but dull to me, ditto 'Encore', excepting the first track). I liked some of the material on Electronic Journey but am completely baffled by the thought of checking out TD's post-1985 albums because there are so many (90 albums or something!).

So, I was wondering if anyone could hazard a guess judging from what I've said where I might best look next?

By the way, I prefer melodic electronica, where tracks develop in sections, to the unvarying drum'n'bass type of stuff (which bores the not good out of me), so for example early Jarre (1976-81) sounds best to me > later Jarre, and while some Orbital tracks sound pretty good to me (e.g. Middle of Nowhere), I'm not a fan of Warp Records acts like Autechre, Boards of Canada etc. or drum'n'bass/rave etc.

Actually, I'm primarily a jazz/world and classical guitar fan rather than electronica, but TD have become an electronic band that I can really get into (although, despite my years of rock guitar listening and continued like for jazz-rock, I don't actually like the way TD use electric guitars)

And, by the way, upon hearing tracks like 'Cedar Breaks' & 'Sundance Kid' (amidst a bit too many smooth-jazz/new age/Jan Hammer's 'Drive' sounding tracks) on the Electronic Journey box set, I've come to believe that the old Froese-Franke-Baumann style of TD music hasn't disappeared....it's just become integrated into a different approach.

Sorry for the (over) long message! In short...some recommendations for TD albums that mix their 90s electronica sound with their ambitious compositional approach please! (if that makes any sense)
RemoteViewing81

Post by RemoteViewing81 »

Mars Polaris
"The aim of the music [of Tangerine Dream] is to paint surreal pictures with musical instruments."

http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/voiceshm.htm
Erik

Post by Erik »

well albums like poland are all about GRADUAL development. and the old Ohr records aren't so much a defined composition with a goal and destination, just more like an environment of sounds that you submerge yourself in. but i'm guessing you prefer music that cuts to the chase. i get what you mean. Mars Polaris is a good suggestion, and i'd add their major releases on Eastgate to that list. none of it is too new-agey, for the most part it's very heavily focused on melody and ENERGY.

only really worry about major releases at this point. like for example, with the Mirimar phase of their music:

-Rockoon
-Turn of the Tides
-200 volt live (or better yet, Arizona)
-Tyranny of Beauty
-Quinoa

and stick to that pattern until you've acquired the desire to explore certain areas further, which you've made a good start in doing thus far.

and if Warp artists aren't your cup of tea, you're pretty much safe. i can't really draw any parallels regarding them. hope i've done my job here

edit: ALSO, opinion on other Schmoelling/Froese/Franke albums?
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

Rockoon and definitely Arizona
Rocking Mars (Mars Polaris live and better for guitars)
The Endless Season (there is a great guitar track on this album)
Turn of the Tides
Pergamon is awesome and much better than Tangram

I also love the Jazz guitar playing of Lee Ritenour 8)
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

Jeanne d'Arc.
Mota Atma
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I'd agree with Jean D'Arc, but also try Le Parc: an '80s album of shorter, more melodic tracks.

Also, any of the Booster series of releases is a good introduction to more recent music.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

You should also try Underwater Sunlight, highly recommended. However, I don't think you would like Mota Atma as the album sounds like the same track on repeat :)

I would also recommend the soundtrack album Heartbreakers ...wonderful music 8)
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Marakesh wrote:You should also try Underwater Sunlight, highly recommended. However, I don't think you would like Mota Atma as the album sounds like the same track on repeat :)

Mota Atma...I thought it was only me that didn't "get" this album.

Heartbreakers... good selection of music on there.

Chandra - The Phantom Ferry is another pretty good album to check out.

Plus I don't think you would be too far off what you're looking for if you were to get the RAH 3CD set - a great live set with a mixture of styles.
Erik

Post by Erik »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
Marakesh wrote:You should also try Underwater Sunlight, highly recommended. However, I don't think you would like Mota Atma as the album sounds like the same track on repeat :)

Mota Atma...I thought it was only me that didn't "get" this album.

Heartbreakers... good selection of music on there.

Chandra - The Phantom Ferry is another pretty good album to check out.

Plus I don't think you would be too far off what you're looking for if you were to get the RAH 3CD set - a great live set with a mixture of styles.
make RAH top priority. i didn't even think of that. their newer shows are very eclectic
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
har

Post by har »

Hi Owen, your going to have a fair list to check out :wink:

From what you say I would also suggest J'Darc, and the Boosters. Also a wee sneaky mention for Kyoto.

Welcome and enjoy.
owen

Post by owen »

Thanks for all the replies!

Hmmm....Mars Polaris, Jean d'Arc, Mota Atma, Booster...I've a lot to pick from (if my pocket can afford it)!

I'd prefer get albums that don't have a few of the tracks from Electronic Journey on them (I have that boxset already), so I think I'll probably skip the Miramar ones (for now anyway).

Thanks again!

Some more questions, if I may!:

1) are the Booster albums like the Dream Mix albums, i.e. home-made remixes of tunes that appeared on previous albums?

2) are some of these remix album tracks with unfamiliar names actually old tunes under a different name, e.g. a tune from one of the 70s or 80s albums remixed and given a completely new name?
Erik

Post by Erik »

the boosters are compilations of tracks from various EPs, that were out about the same time.

and for the second question i'd need an example