The Independent Years

Jon
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

The Independent Years

Post by Jon »

This is disc 10 on the Electronic Journey 10 CD-set

A lot of mess on this one. I had all of the tracks before, minus Ivory Town, here wrongly titled Ruling The Waves. A pleasant but somehow monotonous track similar to the "ambient" tracks from Miracle Mile. Some of the tracks sound similar to the originals, many of the other ones are 2002 re-mixes. Atlas Eyes sounded a bit different, and The Midnight Trail had an additional choir sound and other sounds added.

Marakesh with electric guitar and other new elements was quite cool, while Crystal Curfew also had the "choir" and a new fade-out. Long Island Sunset had some hand drums that I'm not sure if I liked, and the choir returns in Yucatan. Alaskan Summer had a new fade-out, and Electric Lion had some additional sounds in the production, AND some highly annoying skipping that ruined the track. Does anyone else have this problem? I think the skipping started towards the end of Alaskan Summer, and I seem to remember that also the two last tracks on Tangines Scales (disc 9) had the same skipping.

Other than that, this is a nice collection, but is it neccessary? Not really.

Opinions on The Independent Years?

http://voices-in-the-net.de/the_independent_years.htm
Erik

Post by Erik »

well i actually want to hear this now. i didn't know the tracks were altered

edit: just heard all the previews on amazon. Atlas Eyes sounds WAY better. and oh my god, Marakesh is great
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
phaedra1974

Post by phaedra1974 »

I posted that some months ago in another topic.

I have the same skipping on the Membran Digipack release of the album.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Also one of my favourites from the box set. Includes another three of my TD favourites ever: The Midnight Trail, Marakesh and Electric Lion. The skipping in the latter is a pity. But the tracks on this disc is excellent!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Insvims wrote:Also one of my favourites from the box set. Includes another three of my TD favourites ever: The Midnight Trail, Marakesh and Electric Lion. The skipping in the latter is a pity. But the tracks on this disc is excellent!
Yes, especially Electric Lion is a brilliant tune. That's why the skipping is so irritating. Thankfully I also have it on the "Private Music Of TD" CD.

Marakesh is great too..
Erik

Post by Erik »

bump

question about The Melrose Years re-releases. does anyone think the EQ sounds a little funny on the Lily on the Beach CD? i haven't heard the other two, so not sure how those are

for example: Paradise Cove sounds like it was recorded in a tin can
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Justin

Post by Justin »

Agreed, not as good as the original releases.
Look for the sounds of Digital Horizons at http://digitalhorizons.bandcamp.com/ and on iTunes, CDBaby, Amazon Downloads and Reverbnation.
Erik

Post by Erik »

kinda split on it. i really like they way they re-made some of the tracks, some of them are quite different compared to the originals. the newer "Marakesh" for example is really neat. and all the tracks in general sound more clear. just wish it wasn't so tinny and hollow. it's a shame really