Looking Back at Goblins Club

Jon
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Jon »

PurpleTwilight wrote:Is it just me, or is the electric guitar on 'On Crane's Passage' poorly mixed? Many of the higher notes sound uncomfortably loud, as though the frequencies weren't properly balanced. Does anyone else hear this as well, or is it just my copy?
It's not just your copy.
intercorni

Post by intercorni »

This is a nice production.
Edgar gave me the digipack version after a concert :-)
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Nice album, one of the only albums where I have more than one copy.
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

Another of my favourites. :P
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

cantosis wrote:Nice album, one of the only albums where I have more than one copy.
....I've got three copies. :roll:

The b*gg*rs keep releasing new versions.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

Chris Monk wrote:
cantosis wrote:Nice album, one of the only albums where I have more than one copy.

3 copies ?
Do you have the recen tversion of the album ? Any change in the sound ?
I don't even know if Edgar has rerecorded everything like he did on some older albums.... I always prefer the originals as for the older albums anyway, but Goblin's Club is recent and c onsidering the little sound faults like the guitar that we mentioned above...maybe it could be improved on the Eastgate version ?

I really liked it while I wasn't fond of Tyranny of Beauty, which is definitely cold.
I love "Sad Merlin's Sunday"... Really, it's one of Edgar's best tracks ever, and once again, it is NEVER played live as far as I know nor I ever saw it on the list of tracks of numerous compilations that I cared to read just to see if there was something new on them. I don't get this at all... Does anybody here love that piece too or am I the only one to think it's really a highlight of Edgar's compositions from the last 30 years ? ?
"Elf June and the Midnight Patrol" is lovely too... so I'm glad as my 2 favourite tracks on that album are at its end... great finale.
On that record, I was puzzled by the credits showing acoustic instruments but the sound must be very heavily treated as I don't actually hear those instruments ! Same as the acoustic guitars credited on several tracks of "Rockoon".... It could be a synth with a guitar sample, I wouldn't hear the difference.
Last edited by Marc M on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin

Post by Justin »

I agree about Sad Merlin's Sunday. Great track.
Look for the sounds of Digital Horizons at http://digitalhorizons.bandcamp.com/ and on iTunes, CDBaby, Amazon Downloads and Reverbnation.
PurpleTwilight

Post by PurpleTwilight »

Does anyone own one of the re-released CDs? Are all the tracks remixed to a better quality (especially Track 3)? I'm very tempted to buy the newer version but first I want to make sure these sound issues were corrected.

I think the flaws were rather telling on the original CD. Most of the instrumentation (synths, drums, etc) sound alright, but the guitars sound pretty raw. That definitely wasn't the case on TOTT, TOB, or practically anywhere else.
Erik

Re: Looking Back at Goblins Club

Post by Erik »

epsilon75 wrote: Really enjoyed TTES,RHIS & LWRE on the 97 tour and would like to hear "At Darwins Motel" in concert. The re-issued" TDI edition and Australian pressing with "Forthworth Runway One" makes it even more appealling.
it'd be great to hear it live! never heard of Forthworth Runway One...gonna have to check it out, can't believe i missed it.
Chris Monk wrote:After TOB and TOTT I thought this album was a real return to form. For me it was TD returning to their EM roots after a brief dabble in American AOR. The sounds used on the album are more varied and the tracks a little less straight forward. Very good release IMO.
spot on indeed. i wouldn't say it was a return to form in a sense of familiarity, but just in methods and theories in general, i'd say you are right. but sound wise, i think they moved out of my comfort zone for them, which is already pretty wide. it's DEFINITELY varied well enough, but it's too out of touch with my typical perception of them. not for every track, but some. Rockoon - Tyranny is what i was really enjoying
timer wrote:Never really got into this one - may have to revisit I think !
this is in regards to anyone who thinks this^

DO IT

it'll be better, trust me.
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Marc M wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:

3 copies ?
Do you have the recent version of the album ? Any change in the sound?
No I haven't got the new Membran release. I've got the original European release, the Australian release and the TDI re-release. I love the album but not sure I want another new version. :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Chris Monk

Re: Looking Back at Goblins Club

Post by Chris Monk »

Erik wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:After TOB and TOTT I thought this album was a real return to form. For me it was TD returning to their EM roots after a brief dabble in American AOR. The sounds used on the album are more varied and the tracks a little less straight forward. Very good release IMO.
spot on indeed. i wouldn't say it was a return to form in a sense of familiarity, but just in methods and theories in general, i'd say you are right. but sound wise, i think they moved out of my comfort zone for them, which is already pretty wide. it's DEFINITELY varied well enough, but it's too out of touch with my typical perception of them. not for every track, but some. Rockoon - Tyranny is what i was really enjoying.
For me it was a return to form because it was a warmer, less sterile sounding album. ToB and ToTT were both extremely well produced albums but to me they sounded almost over-produced. They weren't as quirky as TD's usual releases and with GC they seemed to have gone back to that style of recording.
Erik

Post by Erik »

i agree, quirky is the perfect word
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

I think I had a tee shirt with some music on it from GC.
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
Justin

Post by Justin »

Got that tshirt myself, its the score for 'At Darwins Motel'.
Look for the sounds of Digital Horizons at http://digitalhorizons.bandcamp.com/ and on iTunes, CDBaby, Amazon Downloads and Reverbnation.
Erik

Post by Erik »

any pics of that?